Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 564 Posts

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"Name The Projector Calibration System" Contests>

Soon, a new system will be arriving for analyzing and optimizing projection systems for accuracy.

This system does not yet have a name. We need your help with that part. The winner will receive the completed system when it is available (~$700 value - subject to final pricing), and bragging rights to claim that they "named the application".

Instructionss>
  • Read about the application below to get a feel for what it does and how it works.
  • Brainstorm a name that would fit the application well (you will find a description of it below).
  • Post the exact spelling of your proposed name to this very thread. If your name is chosen, you will be shipped a brand-new highly accurate colorimeter and the software on CD. The expected value of the package is over $700.
  • Exact spelling counts. Since this contest is in a public location, it is possible that derivatives may evolve from your proposed name. We wish to encourage this evolution process. Keep in mind the fun and spirit of the contest, and please forgive anyone who "rips off your idea" and wins using a derivative of it.
  • Please try to keep the number of names you enter to under a dozen of your best ideas. This is not a 'hard' rule, but posting hundreds of words in the hope that you might hit one is not helpful.
  • Prize goes to the first person to post the winning name, in the event of duplicates. This thread will record the 'official' entries. You may e-mail other people (or myself) asking questions or looking for ideas, but only entries suggested on this thread are official. This will be able to be tracked by all participants simply by reading the entries here.
  • Judging: The winning name will be chosen from this thread by the people who participated in the creation of this application (Alyssia, Michele, Kevin and Mark). However, I will have the final deciding vote.
  • EOC (Equal Opportunity Contest). This contest is blind to race, gender, age, location, sexual orientation, projector ownership, number of posts and all other personally identifiable information. Only the proposed name is considered.
  • Hints: I'm not big on acronyms unless they spell something catchy. Memorable is good. Domain name availability a bonus. All else being equal, shorter is better.
  • Winner will be announced here on Thursday, July 26, 2001, and will be posted to this very thread. Prize will be shipped at our expense if winner is within the continental US. Other locations are eligible to enter, but must pay for shipping upon winning.

About this Systems>

We feel that this is potentially a watershed offering and something that has been inexplicably absent from the home theater market. This hardware/software combination is a very accurate colorimetric system with a mind-numbing array of instruments available for analyzing, calibrating and "tweaking" front and rear projection systems in almost all technology classes (CRT, LCD, DLP, D-ILA, Plasma). Note: Not for use with laser-based systems.

If you've ever been interested in profiling your home theater video equipment, you may have seen prices for the hardware alone in the $8,000-$20,000 range. More recently, some offerings have become available in the $1500 to $5000 range. These may or may not include any software value-add.

We feel that there is a market for a higher quality offering with more detailed information available at an even lower price than the lowest priced units currently available, initially targetted toward home use.

The Hardwares>

Eight silicon sensors and seven long-pass edge filters allow this device to more closely match the human eye response than three-and four-filter colorimeters. It is highly accurate as a fast, portable colorimeter for many types of display devices. Since the software program creates a colorspace transformation matrix from the primaries of your display device (your pure Red, Green, Blue and White values), the system is designed to work with virtually any display device with no modification of the software or loading hard-codes files of averaged data.

The Softwares>

Born from the research on our Dilard application, the software provides a wealth of information that even the professional calibrator will find indispensable. As far as I know, no other system available today provides all of this information in an easy-to-use manner for front projection systems...much less at a price under $1000. (For those of you wondering, yes, the investment in R&D on this system will definitely enhance the quality of the Dilard calibration routines)

Some of the Available Instruments:
  • Current Correlated Color Temp (Kelvin) meter. You will normally want to target for the D65 standard (6504 Kelvin).
  • Color Temp Histogram (color temp across readings...for instance 0 to 100 IRE) in a scrolling graph. This is to assess the flatness of your gray scale. Combine this with the DeltaE error from the D65 white point, and you will know how far off your color is across the entire range.
  • Current Luminance
  • Luminance Histogram in a scrolling graph (perfect for assessing the effectiveness of your displays Gamma profile).
  • RGB level meters
  • CIE chart plot of xy coordinates, including graphing the gamut of colors that are possible to be created by your display device. Think your DLP's Reds are "Pumpkin Orange"? The CIE chart plot will tell you for sure. The CIE chart and the color temp histogram (grayscale tracking) are the two graphs that are always printed in Home Theater magazine, Sound and Vision, etc. to assess the quality and accuracy of a display device.
  • Hue, Saturation, Lightness visualizations (see screen shot).
  • Delta E error from D65 white point ("How Far Off am I?")
  • Black level and peak white. Compare your black level to other display devices.
  • Contrast ratio of your display.
  • Selectable white point target. Defaults to D65.
  • Selectable color space. Choose from Standard NTSC, EBU, SMPTE, sRGB (ITU-R BT.709)...even HOT (Hydrogen, Oxygen, Thermal chromacities)
  • Color space transformations are based on measurements of the primaries of your display device. What this means is that the system will automatically set itself up for your particular display device and make all calculations based on what your device can actually produce.
  • Raw data in XYZ, xyY, RGB, HSL, CTT (Correlated Color Temperature of a Black Body Radiator), CIE Lab, CIE Luv, Luminance [FL], Delta E error from white point. Much of the raw colorimetric information may only be interesting to a professional calibrator, so I have left it off the screen shot below. However, it's there if you should ever want it!

Whew! It's a lot of information, but I feel that it is presented in a way that makes it instantly usable. If you own Avia or Video Essentials, you already have the test images. The system can also generate it's own test colors.

Screen Shots>

Here is a picture of what this new system looks like. The user interface is purposely friendly, almost cartoon-like, to mask some of the complex mathematical transformations going on underneath. Hint: a friendly name to go with the friendly look is a definite bonus! I took this picture while the program was running.

In the left three instruments, you can see that the picture I measured was quite cyan in color (Blue and Green tint). In the CIE chart, you can see that the chromacities (triangles) are all plotting in just about the same location over repeated readings. I was running the "continuous readings" test during this screen shot, but if I was running the Grayscale Tracking test, you would see how well my grayscale tracked from 0 to 100 IRE.

On the right-hand side, you see how bright the picture measured related to the white point (Luminance meter), and the correlated color temperature of the reading (9000 degrees Kelvin! Needs some work). The temperature and luminance histograms finish of the list of instruments shown. To save space, not all instruments are shown this screen shot. By the way, the readings were not taken from a projector.

SCREEN SHOT HERE

Instuments that plot or graph data are resizable, so you can easily get a more detailed look at the data in these instruments if you wish.

The Name?s>

Please help to name the application! Now that you know what it does, it's time to name it.

Remember, if you win, you will receive:
  • An accurate eight sensor colorimeter (hardware)
  • A software suite for analyzing and calibrating display devices.
  • Credit within the software
  • Bragging rights to say that you named this system
  • The contest ends in just 30 days from today, so enter early!

Remember to get your name in early. The first person to submit the winning entry claims the prize. Put on your thinking cap, and figure out what this program really "says" to you and come up with a name that fits it.

[PS - To keep this thread "pure" with regards to this system, please e-mail me with any questions on Dilard, or how this application compares to it. I appreciate it!]

Mark Hunter

[Edited to remove LARGE graphic. Made link in it's place.]

[This message has been edited by David Bott (edited 07-03-2001).]

·
Registered
848 Posts
First thing I thought of:

Chromometer (sounds like thermometer)

(More to follow; I badly want one of these.)

-yogaman

·
Registered
848 Posts
CIE-Meter

CIEmeter [e: We EEs use a Capacitance meter and call it a C-meter for short. /e]

(This rule about minor spelling variations is a pain. It directly conflicts with the request not to post dozens of similar entries, just so the basic idea isn't poached. For instance, my next proposal is a direct poach from Chris Satterlee's first entry. As I said I was a few seconds too late in posting his spelling. But I feel bad enough about this rule, that if my spelling wins, I want Chris to call me to work out some sharing of the prize.)

LumoCIE

-yogaman

[This message has been edited by yogaman (edited 06-26-2001).]

·
Registered
260 Posts
I think "TrueColor" is copyrighted, but sounds nice...

One originated by Frank Zappa (Joe's Garage) comes to mind and is great - "The Central Scrutinizer" - maybe Gail would sell the rights!

ProjectorVoodoo?

In any case, I hope you could consider a rental arrangement as well as purchase - many more of us could use this for a short time, whereas only ISF people would buy it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
See-CIE-Rider [Edit: From the blues song CC Rider. /Edit]

Visulux (was the name of a laser-based projector company I worked for, so may be a name conflict)

-yogaman

P.S. Chris, me too on the post count.

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Accucolor

Accucolorometer

AC

ACM

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
848 Posts
CIEer [edit: pun on Seer /edit]

CIEingEye [e: pun on Seeing Eye /e]

CIEmatique

CIEmatic

Chromatic [e: chroma automatically /e]

Chromatique [e: chroma automatically with a french accent /e]

EyeCIE [e: pun on I see, emphasizing perceptual accuracy /e]

·
Registered
94 Posts
CIE-Breeze

That's assuming CIE is pronounced "sea", I hope. Get it? CIE, breeze to use...

Okay, okay, it was my first attempt...

Brian

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Stuck in the A's:

Achrometer (Accurate Chrominence Meter)

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

1 - 20 of 564 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.