AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a RP62 and found something interesting. By default, the Dolby Digital output is turned on but the DTS is off. Is there a technical reason why one would be turned on and the other off? Or, is this the result of some partnership between Dolby Labs and Panasonic? Do other manufacturers use these defaults?

--Burke

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
DTS used to be rare on receivers, while some type of Dolby decoding was more common. Whoever made that decision is probably from the old school and didn't realize that most receivers come with DTS decoding. I can't speak for the home theater in a box products but I haven't seen an A/V receiver that didn't do DTS.

·
Registered
27,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe_M
DTS used to be rare on receivers, while some type of Dolby decoding was more common. Whoever made that decision is probably from the old school and didn't realize that most receivers come with DTS decoding. I can't speak for the home theater in a box products but I haven't seen an A/V receiver that didn't do DTS.
I think they are less concerned with old A/V receivers than they are with people running their DVD players through their dinky TV speakers.

DTS is set off by default to prevent morons from ruining their speakers if they don't have DTS hardware.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.