AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All I want from a player is great analog output for stereo CD, and 480i over hdmi for DVD. Budget less than $200.

I do not want a universal player. But if a player that satifies both these criteria just happens to be a universal player then its fine, but I am certainly not specifically looking for one that is universal.

So what are my options ? The 1940CI gets mentioned here often. Any other alternatives worth considering ?

·
Registered
22,119 Posts
someone will correct me if i'm wrong, but i do not believe the 1940ci puts out 480i over hdmi...

the oppo 980h will... it's under your budget...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. you're correct. 1940ci wont do 480i over hdmi.

I am open to having two dedicated players if thats what it takes.

I did consider 980h seriously and researched it before posting this. The impression I seem to get is that its audio performance is not as stellar as claimed.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what would be a better choice between the Onkyo SP506 and Oppo 980h - strictly in terms of Redbook CD (analog output) audio quality ?

The Onkyo does have a better DAC and is built thoroughly, but not sure what output opamps it uses. and Onkyo specifically claims "Audio quality is further boosted by three high-end Burr-Brown audio DACs and an internal design that suppresses harmful vibrations.". What opamps does it use btw ?

The Oppo uses a CS4631 DAC and NE5532 opamps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts