Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang

I am looking for a simple MP3 player for my PC. My only requirements are;

1) Could be used with some kind of a remote, IRMan?

2) Songs fade one into another.

I have tried Media Jukebox, but I do not like the registration process and it's overkill for me.

I find Winamp's interface kind of cheesy.

Can anyone suggest anything else that might be suitable?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you, Glenn

·
Registered
918 Posts
Are you talking software only solution or hardware?

I like the Turtle Beach Audiotron. It will stream your MP3's using a Windows network. It has a remote and can be controlled also from a brrowser.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi

Yes, I have heard good things about the TB unit, although I have heard that there is a gap between songs. For me, I'd like to have songs fade one into another.

Basically I am asking about a software only player, one that I might control via a remote.

Thanks, Glenn

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by GAP. My experience is that properly ripped CD --> MP3 (using EAC & LAME, of course!) do not get that GAP. I have numerous classical as well as rock opera type albums that I listen to and play seamless as the track changes. Of course, if the MP3s were not ripped properly, then you might hear a gap.

But, done properly, the Audiotron plays as smoothly as a CD player.

·
Registered
27 Posts
By "having tracks fade into each other" it sounds like Glenn's talking about a DJ style mixing where the next song fades in about 5 seconds before the current one ends. Also called X-Fade, this feature results in no silence or breakpoint whatsoever between songs--they all kind of blur together into one continuous mix. My CD changers do that, and it's pretty cool for parties & general background listening.

Anybody know of an MP3 player for the PC that does the same thing?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Patrick, thank you for clearing that up, yes, that is exactly what I mean as you describe. I don't know if the TB unit does this or not.

I did try MusicMatch to, but there was some reason why I was turned off the program, just can't remember what it was? Maybe I should re-visit it. It might have been the interface, too complex.

What I plan on doing is running the video output from a computer in my livingroom, tucked away in my audio rack, loaded with MP3's , to my TV screen. I don't want a computer monitor in the room to.

In effect I will be running 640 by 480 so the TV will display properly. I will then have the MP3 program controlled by remote as I sit on the couch flipping through songs displayed on the TV screen. I have an IRman running in my theater and it's terrific.

Maybe someone out there sees a better solution?

Thanks again, Glenn

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like a plan. I've seen other posts that suggest this is a pretty common setup.

I'm working towards the same functionality, except that I'm going to add a wireless keyboard & mouse to simplify navigation and searching.

Might even throw in a microphone and voice recognition software to kick it up a notch. It'd be pretty sweet to walk into your living room and just say..."Computer: Play Jumping Jack Flash by the Rolling Stones."

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Patrick...

I like your thinking, can you suggest a good voice recognition software package? I already have microphones for the karaoke DVD player that we are getting for Christmas ( I know, because I bought it for myself!)

Glenn

·
Registered
588 Posts
Hmm, there must be some place out there that compares the features on players. Or check the hydrogenaudio.org or the AVS HTPC forum.

David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.