AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to get a blu-ray player, but I have a couple of questions. My plasma tv does not support 1080p, is this a deal breaker? My av receiver has 5.1 surround not 7.1, is this a deal breaker? I would really like to get a blu-ray player but I'm not going to buy a new tv and receiver just to accommodate the player. With my equipment, will I really benefit by getting a blu-ray player?

·
Registered
95 Posts
no if your set is not 1080p it is not a deal breaker. blu-ray at 720p still looks amazing. as for the sounds does your receiver have HDMI inputs and can receive a PCM signal. if so then you are all set. if not you can still use a optical connection to your receiver and still get slightly better sound but you will not get the new audio formats like DD true HD and DTS master audio. but in a short answer yes go out and get a blu-ray player you wont regret it.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy122 /forum/post/15562838

I would really like to get a blu-ray player, but I have a couple of questions. My plasma tv does not support 1080p, is this a deal breaker? My av receiver has 5.1 surround not 7.1, is this a deal breaker? I would really like to get a blu-ray player but I'm not going to buy a new tv and receiver just to accommodate the player. With my equipment, will I really benefit by getting a blu-ray player?

Try using the search function. You'll find these questions have been asked and answered many times.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your response. On the audio, I am using an optical cable now and get great 5.1 sound. With this same cable, will I still get 5.1 Dolby Digital with a blu-ray player?

·
Premium Member
26,232 Posts
If you have questions on audio (but reading this FAQ should answer most if not all), here's our master audio sticky thread

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1095740

And, we have had many threads asking about playing 1080P discs on a 1080i TV...which will come up using the search engine.

Advance search, title search only, limit search words to one or two and make sure to highlight this forum from the list to the right.

In this case, 1080i would be your search word.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.