AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sony PMB and Windows Media Player are fine for avchd media playing most of the time, but I occasionally use my camcorder for sports analysis and instruction. Is there a software player (for Windows 7) that has good slow motion, frame-by-frame forward/reverse, and frame capture capabilities?

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
This may not be the answer your looking since it'll cost you $300 but I actually use my PS3 for that. It has excellent slow motion abilities. Sorry, I couldn't resist.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I need it to work with my laptop when I'm out and about.

I've found one player already, but was very disappointed with its performance.

Given that consumer camcorders are often used for sports video, I would imagine that this is a very common need/desire. I often use my camcorder for my kids and their batting/pitching mechanics, tennis, basketball spacing analysis, etc. Having slo-mo and fbf would be very helpful.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
mplayer via hotkeys

space = pause

. = advance one frame

-fps # = override the video specs. In combination with skipping to the portion you want.

ffmpeg to extract all frames as images and whatever image viewer.

At least in terms of the free options. Many media players have such features. Stand alone players, it's hard to play modern codec in reverse. Except those that are all I-frames. But pause on my cheap magnavox pauses. And pressing it again advances one frame per press, a common feature on many players. Perhaps a different implementation on some, but still an option.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts