AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went into a Wal-Mart yesterday for the first time in a week or so. I expected the $69 Black Friday Blu-Ray players would be long gone, but to my surprise there was a stack of maybe 60 or 70 of them sitting there. Still at that price. Is it because this player is junk or what? I see in web reviews that the wifi interface has short range, and I noticed it lacks any component output jacks. Only HDMI and composite video out. Even the 5130 units selling for $118 had only HDMI and composite. I'm looking to get my first Blu-Ray player soon and wonder if I should just keep waiting.

·
Registered
7,173 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duaymerthe
I went into a Wal-Mart yesterday for the first time in a week or so. I expected the $69 Black Friday Blu-Ray players would be long gone, but to my surprise there was a stack of maybe 60 or 70 of them sitting there. Still at that price. Is it because this player is junk or what? I see in web reviews that the wifi interface has short range, and I noticed it lacks any component output jacks. Only HDMI and composite video out. Even the 5130 units selling for $118 had only HDMI and composite. I'm looking to get my first Blu-Ray player soon and wonder if I should just keep waiting.
You do get what you pay for, for $69 the Magnavox MBP5130/F7 is very low end. Suggest you pay a little bit more for a mainstream product with more features, might not break as quickly.

See Official Help me choose a player thread for additional insight.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I truly believe Blu Ray may have reached a saturation point. Even with the amazing deals I am seeing stacks and stacks of unsold Blu Ray players and the rafters are stacked to the roof with even more. With new models coming in the late winter/early spring time frame I see even more discounting taking place.

It might just be the best time to buy. Right now the prices are very good. Still not at low DVD player prices but pretty darn low for the technology involved. This years generation work better and are far more stable then previous generations. This just might be one of the last years of quality players. Like DVD the fancy models will be cut and they will try to make them as cheap as possible. Its likely in the coming years Blu Ray players will be sold in the $40 to $60 range but not compare to what is being made now.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Please leave all street pricing out of the discussion. We allow only MSRP (outside of the deals sticky at the top of this forum). If you are looking for advice on which player might be best for you, please use the "help be chose a BR player" sticky.

OP, I sent you a PM that will require a response.

Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.