AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a major TiVo junkie, I've become quite used to hitting the 8-second instant replay button a lot. When I watch a DVD I find I miss this feature a lot. Particularly as I have trouble with dialog and sometimes need to ask "What did they just say?" more than I'd like to admit. It's fairly difficult to hit all the buttons on a DVD remote to backup to hear a line again and it's a very slow process to boot.

Apparently the Panasonic players provide this feature, but when I test drove an F35 a year ago, the feature was very broken. I'd hit the button and the player would spend a lot of time seeking the head to find the spot in the movie from 8-10 seconds ago and by the time it was done I could have looked up the script for the movie on the web and figured out the line I missed by reading it. OK, so I exaggerate, but this made the feature essentially useless. Worse yet, sometimes it would take about 8 seconds to sync up and the player somehow thought that it should keep tracking in real time so it would bring me back into the movie at T=button press minus 8 seconds plus seek time=T and it wouldn't actually have gone back in the movie more than a fraction of a second anyway. I never did understand the exact algorithm they were trying to implement other than the fact that it didn't provide any useful service for me.

In researching the Samsung 931 unit it apparently provides this feature and it must use a memory buffer since it quotes a maximum of 50 seconds of instant replay that it can provide. If it were not memory buffer based, I could see no reason for there to be a maximum. So, my hope is that this feature works much better on these Samsung units (now if only they used their Faroudja chips on the Component outputs, I'd likely be set).

So, are some of the other Panasonic units better at this feature? Is the Samsung much better? Is the non-DVI progressive output of the Samsung reasonably good enough for me to consider it for component output if I'm really hung up on this feature? Are there any other players out there that provide this feature well that I am missing out on (this isn't exactly the most advertised features in the DVD documents and reviews).

Any others as hung up on "Instant Replay" as I am? ;-)

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone have any suggestions? I've since seen an "Instant reply" button on a Sony player as well, but it was a fairly low-end model and wasn't hooked up to where I could test the feature.

· Registered
2,421 Posts
My JVC XV-S500 has that feature. It also has a hard to find GAMMA adjustment. It's component output was compared favorably to the Panasonic players with Faroudja processors. Not sure if they're still around or if a newer model is available.

Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.