AVS Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now when we have had those big 4K UHD screens for some time we might think about how boring it is watching those old soft 1080p movies that we made years ago. They had glorious colors though.
.....But, it is all about viewing distance. I like to play my 1080 videos with Windows Media Player (or MPC-HC). I get a 28" screen in glorious 4K inside my big 4K TV. Silly? Of course you all knew about this but maybe you never gave it a thought..:)

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
MY Samsung 55" UHD tv upscales pretty good,so normal HD[broadcast and my own 1920x1080P] looks a lot better on full screen.
Blu Rays from 4K source look great and 4k played on external drives look super.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Chris for the singel respons. I put likes to your videos. I bought a new phone a week ago, the phablet Sony Xperia Ultra with a 6,4" screen 1920X1080...What a surprise! You Tube 1080p videos with Chrome are gorgeous! Sony has the "Reality Pro" and the colors are incredible from my old Canon HF G30 videos. The videos play totally smooth both 1080p and 4K as good as my original files. Good audio with headphones. I guess one needs a fast Wi-fi too..

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Thank you Chris for the singel respons. I put likes to your videos. I bought a new phone a week ago, the phablet Sony Xperia Ultra with a 6,4" screen 1920X1080...What a surprise! You Tube 1080p videos with Chrome are gorgeous! Sony has the "Reality Pro" and the colors are incredible from my old Canon HF G30 videos. The videos play totally smooth both 1080p and 4K as good as my original files. Good audio with headphones. I guess one needs a fast Wi-fi too..
:) you know my name,i dont know yours so you have one over me there ;)the only thing i dont like watching on my 4k tv is the local stations they are still broadcast in SD and SD looks worse on my tv than on previous sets,but all upscaled HD and 4K are very good.
Have a good time with your new phone.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:) you know my name,i dont know yours so you have one over me there ;)the only thing i dont like watching on my 4k tv is the local stations they are still broadcast in SD and SD looks worse on my tv than on previous sets,but all upscaled HD and 4K are very good.
Have a good time with your new phone.
My name is Anders. It´s my YouTube name too when one clicks my videos there. I agree, SD looks awful on my UHD TV:s. I have 10 HD channels with 1080i and 720p with various quality. BBC HD is one of the better. As I wrote it´s all about viewing distance. Those with small TV:s and sitting the typically 12 feet from it don´t see any difference.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
The LX100 is sharper but only in it´s wide angle (which is wider) which is why I bring both. LX100 is so small that it fits in my FZ1000 bag. I bought cheap Haida ND filters for the coming light summer days but they softens the picture. Do you know a better ND that does not soften the picture?
I have mounted the Rode mic on the bag too to get rid of the FZ1000 motor noise. LX100 has no audible motor noise but the sound is a bit high pitched. Watch my comparing videos.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
The LX100 is sharper but only in it´s wide angle (which is wider) which is why I bring both. LX100 is so small that it fits in my FZ1000 bag. I bought cheep Haida ND filters for the coming light summer days but they softens the picture. Do you know a better ND that does not soften the picture?
I have mounted the Rode mic on the bag too to get rid of the FZ1000 motor noise. LX100 has no audible motor noise but the sound is a bit high pitched. Watch my comparing videos.
So at 37mm the FZ1000s widest video they are equal would you say,it is difficult to judge from youtube,the LX100 would be no use to me realy the focal reach is not enough.
As regards filters i use HOYA HMC i dont think there is noticable softening with them,if they are ok for stills they should be ok for 4k video.

·
Registered
367 Posts
In general how DO 1080p videos look on a 4K TV set? I have seen many TVs with SD being played and they range from downright hideous to not bad at all. Will 1080p on a 4K set have the same kind of issues? Meaning will there be a big variation from one set to another, some looking great, others not so good?

I would think that anyone with a 4K TV set is watching TV shows in 1080p at the present time. How do they look? Is there any chance that (or is it wishful thinking) a 1080p program will look just as good on a 4K TV set as it does on a 1080p TV set?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
In general how DO 1080p videos look on a 4K TV set? I have seen many TVs with SD being played and they range from downright hideous to not bad at all. Will 1080p on a 4K set have the same kind of issues? Meaning will there be a big variation from one set to another, some looking great, others not so good?

I would think that anyone with a 4K TV set is watching TV shows in 1080p at the present time. How do they look? Is there any chance that (or is it wishful thinking) a 1080p program will look just as good on a 4K TV set as it does on a 1080p TV set?

It depends on how compressed the source is. Heavily compressed footage (such as broadcast) generally will not see much benefit from upscaling because there are so many artifacts there. That is the main reason why some SD footage sort of looks ok, while others look horrible.

Like any footage, the size of your TV set is going to be a big determining factor in how good the footage looks. If you have a relatively small set it won't matter too much, but if you have a large modern TV you will see the artifacts in HD.

What many people tend to forget is that while our TVs are getting progressively larger, the rooms they are housed in are not.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
There are few if any artifacts on uk HD broadcasts,watching upscaled on a my 4K set is a lot better than on a 1920x1080P set as is any 1920x1080P including home recordings,i can only compare my samsung 55" to my previous non 4K Pioneer 50" and the difference is huge.

·
Registered
367 Posts
So 1080p looks better on a 4k TV than it does on a 1080p TV?

I have yet to see any SD content look better on an HDTV than it used to look on an SD TV, so this seems strange to me. Can anyone else (preferably in the US) confirm this?

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
SD never looked better on an HDTV, when i change from an SD to HD channel and vice versa there is several seconds lull,between HD channels its instant.Perhaps the us is different.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts