AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Mits 50805 is HD-ready but will not do the vertical squeeze on progressive-signal anamorphic widescreen discs. Do any DVD players output an appropriately scaled signal, so that I can get all 480 lines of resolution, or am I stuck with just 360 lines? Are some players better than others at scaling?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hi David,

You have two options on your DVD player. First, you can set up you DVD by saying you have a 4:3 TV. This is undoubtedly what you have it set for now. You also have the option of lying and saying you have a 16:9 TV, in which case you will then get all 480 scan lines sent to your TV. Unfortunately, if you do this, people will look tall and skinny.

On 1.78:1 DVD's (or 1.85:1, considering overscan, etc.), this isn't too bad - I actually get accustomed to it after about 5 minutes - AND I'm seeing the whole image. Most people prefer not to do this (including myself). Also, on 2.35:1 DVD's (which covers most theatrical releases), the people look REALLY skinny.

If you have a TV that does the "anamorphic squeeze", which actually scans all 480 lines in the center 3/4 of a 4:3 TV's area, then you can benefit from the extra resolution.

Unfortunately, if your TV does not have this type of scaling, and you want to see the movie in the correct aspect ratio, you have no choice but to set your DVD player to say you indeed have a 4:3 TV, in which case you only get to see 3/4 of the scan lines (360).

With regards to your last question, yes, some players scale anamorphic movies down for 4:3 better than others. I have read several threads on this forum on this subject.

Good luck,

Brian

·
Registered
4,111 Posts
This is why people started buying "HD ready" TV's a couple of years ago (I bought a full-blown 16:9 Princeton HDTV). The upside is, you can enjoy the extra 33% (or so) of resolution on DVD's now while being ready for HDTV. Several new OTA HDTV receivers are now hitting the streets (I've had a DTV receiver for over a year now--and it's great)!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Mits 50805 was one of the very first HD-ready TVs, released over three years ago. It has a built in line-doubler and accepts 480p input. All subsequent models (e.g. 50807) do the squeeze on anamorphic DVDs in progressive mode, but this one does not. Apparently I am stuck with 360 lines of resolution until the spouse bites the bullet on getting a new TV

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I could never be satisfied ever again watching Thomas Alva Edison format 4:3.

My favorite OAR is anamorphic 2.35:1, yes it has black bars. I make *believe* I am a movie theatre. I turn off all the lights, just like the real movie theatres do.

Abracadabra no black bars just a wonderful wider if you start watching it you won't even want to watch the full screen 1.85:1 as in your human brain will percieve it as wider than the letter box tv you own!

Take a look at one of your friends, for the store can't turn off the lights! This is the only true way to watch a anamorphic 2.35:1 widescreen movie IMHO. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.