Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

there is a lot of discussion on this forum about which hardware and software to use to get a perfect DVD playback.

Most of you say, that it is best to use an ATI graphics card. But I have a slightly different opinion when I think of playing back interlaced DVD content (Making ofs, miniDVDs made from DV, TV productions)! But there are still some problems left...

I borrowed an ATI Radeon and tested it. The Radeon makes a hardware deinterlacing (which is really great) for displaying on the PC monitor and gives an deinterlaced (!) output on the TV screen. In my opinion, this is not an 1:1 output, but a good compromise. Unfortunatly, as I could see, the output is at least 800x600, not 768x576 (PAL) or 720x480 (NTSC).

I use an old nVidia TNT 2 (Elsa Erazor III). With the help of the TVTool ( http://www.tvtool.de/index_e.htm ) I am able to set a TV resolution of 768x576 or 720x480 and turn off the flicker fixer completly.

So if I open a full screen WinTV window (which displays a interlaced TV picture on the computer monitor) at 768x576, I get a perfect picture: No interlace stripes, no unsharp movements or scrolling letters (which might be caused by a deinterlacer or turned on flicker fixer on the TV output driver of the graphics card). :)

Unfortunately, this idea does not seem to work with current software DVD players :( . The only DVD player that can play interlaced DVD content without deinterlacing seems to be InterVideos WinDVD. But this one either seems to have a problem with the aspect ration or the PAL playback is not exactly at 50 fps which causes interlace bands etc . :confused:

Do you have any ideas on how to get a perfect interlaced DVD output?

(If I now needed a real great picture from interlace content it would be currently best to use DVD2AVI with a DV codec and send it to my DV camcorder... unfortunately this is not possible in real-time and AC-3 or DTS output is not possible :p )

Greetings

Joerg Knitter (from Germany)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I did another test: I took the ZoomPlayer with WinDVD installed. I was able to see perfect playback for some seconds, but finally, the field order seemed to change. I looks to me, that WinDVD is not always in sync which causes the TVOut to display a wrong field order. Any ideas?

With kind regards

JKnitter

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.