AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HTPC that I use to send a signal to my Onkyo DTS receiver via SPDIF. I am using K-Lite Codec with Media Player Home Cinema. My receiver has regular DTS but not a DTS-HD or DD-TrueHD format decoder inside. Can I still play the files? Will it down mix to regular 786kbps 5.1 DTS? I was just wondering cause many blue-ray rips are only encoded in DD-True HD or DTS -True HD now.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Yes.. theory they should play the core - both TrueHD and DTS-HD/MA have DD and DTS cores respectively.

Unfortunately I have seen many issues with FFDSHOW playing only the cores properly... I dont believe MPC-HC out the box codecs support HD audio so I am not sure if it can decode the cores directly to be sent to SPDIF.

Have you tried? Since it seems everything is hooked up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by neokeelo /forum/post/18165239

I have a HTPC that I use to send a signal to my Onkyo DTS receiver via SPDIF. I am using K-Lite Codec with Media Player Home Cinema. My receiver has regular DTS but not a DTS-HD or DD-TrueHD format decoder inside. Can I still play the files? Will it down mix to regular 786kbps 5.1 DTS? I was just wondering cause many blue-ray rips are only encoded in DD-True HD or DTS -True HD now.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
I don't think any software player (except TMT3 and the Sonic cineplayer) can actually decode DTS-MA. PowerDVD/WinDVD and FFDShow beta can only pass the codec to a receiver which can then decode the HD codec. Many decoders can extract the core from DTS-MA, though, but not always.

What is typically done when one does not have a HD codec supported receiver is when the movie is ripped into MKV, the HD audio is converted to its DD/DTS core or to FLAC.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts