Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

So I almost have the HTPC set up how I want it. I'm still not convinced that playing DVDs on the HTPC is worthwhile in my setup. I have a Mitsubishi 55" RPTV, and an Onkyo 989 Receiver setup for video/audio. The part I don't understand is the whole resolution thing.

I set up power strip successfully to use two resolution. 856x484 seems to work fine to browse the web, control winamp, stuff like that. I also set up 1440x540p successfully. This seems to have some serious overscan, but does seem to look better DVD wise. So I guess my question is, what do I have to do to ensure my DVD's don't get overscanned out of the screen?

I'm using an ATI 8500 LE with the new beta drivers, and the ATI dvd player v7.6. Do I need to get yet another resolution working in powerstrip? What have you guys had success with when using a RPTV such as the mitsubishi?

Thanks.

Mark

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Namlemez
Check out the resolutions that Karnis (Wayne) has posted he is using. He has a 65" version of your TV.
Actually it's only 55", but as my girlfriend always says, I can do with the extra few inches. :rolleyes: ;) :)
Custom rez guide for HTPC/HDTV

Currently I use 1440x480p @ 540p timings. This gives me 1:1 scaling in the vertical direction, 2x scaling in the horizontal, and running 480p at 540p timings eliminates vertical overscan.

I would also recommend the excellent TheaterTek player, its' outstanding auto aspect ratio control and set moviestart feature makes it easier to use than the RP-91, which is now sitting on my cabinet only used as a DVD-Audio player.
TheaterTek website

·
Registered
192 Posts
Karnis, do you have any other timings for 1440x480? I get too little overscan vertically when I use any of the ones posted on this forum. I use the 1440x540 that comes with Powerstrip and it works very well. This one matches my RCA DTC-100 timings. 960x540 works well too! I am looking for a lot of overscan. Zoom Player sizes the video the way I want it. Not to mention when I zoom 2:35 to fit screen, it looks better if I have a lot of overscan. I really do not want to have to adjust my settings on my Mitsubishi 46805 to increase vertical overscan. Thank you very much.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
Sorry, no other timings...but what you want to do is add to the vertical total to increase overscan. In PS 3---advanced timings---custom resolution, click "lock total geometry" then increase 480 to 484, or 500, etc until you find something you like.

BTW increasing the vertical size in the Mits service menu is exactly what I did to get 1440x480p @ 540p timings to fit just right.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Thanks Karnis, I will try to increase the 484. I don't want to increase my Mitsubishi vertical size since I watch a lot more HDTV than DVD and do not want to have too much overscan with my RCA DTC-100.

·
Registered
6,653 Posts
I would recommend an easier approach, such as the Theater Tek DVD player with its' excellent aspect ratio control so you can define the default anamorphic AR or a custom zoom AR to fill your screen as you like.

There are others available, if you do a forum search. But my preferred player is, by far, TT.
TT website

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.