AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to play DVD's that in one computer X's drive over the network on computer Y?

I have a few PC's around the house that don't have DVD drives in them, what I would like to do is put a DVD in a DVD capable machine, then play it back on a different machine on my network.

So far I have done the obvious: Shared the DVD drive on the source machine, then mapped it on the destination machine. I've then done the open drive command or the open folder command in zoomplayer.

It seems to work, except I get the region message saying something along the lines of "Incorrect region" it varies by DVD, but it is getting that screen from the disk so I feel I am part of the way there.

I'm using Sonic filters with ZP front end on the destination machine, I'm assuming that when ZP (or Sonic) try to play the disk there is no region coding hardware on the destination machine, so it won't play. Is there anyway around this? Any software or hack I can use to convince the destination machine that is is R1?

Yeah I know I could go out and buy some cheap DVD drives, but if I can get this to work it will solve a fairly minor problem I have without outlay of $$'s. I know I can rip the disk to HD and play that no problem over the network, but that means advanced planning, when what I want to do is pop a disk in a go.

- Rick

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Of course right after I post I find another partial solution...

VideoLAN is letting me stream DVD playback from one PC to another, but I have no control over the DVD, pausing, menus etc.

I guess what would be optimum would be something like DemonTools but that allows me to mount a shared drive, not just an image of a disk.

Anything like that out there?

- Rick

·
Registered
16,917 Posts
Rick ,

-- I had this working a while back using PowerDVD . I could playback the entire contents of any DVD in my HTPC's dvd-rom drive from any of my Networked PC's . I did nothing special either , it just worked .

-- Your post has me curious now as to if it will still function for me using Zoomplayer/WinDVD filter combo ... off to test it out ;) .

---- Jason

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd be happy if I could just get it to work period, no matter what the player software was, I don't need zoomplayers functionality on the destination machine, just for it to play the DVD.

I just tried installing an old copy of PowerDVDXP that I no longer use, but I couldn't get it to play the DVD over the network, or the VOB's on the shared DVD drive.

- Rick

·
Registered
66 Posts
I use zoomplayer reading DVD's off my HD on a server machine.

Install AnyDVD (removes encrytion etc and region coding)

Use DVDshrink to copy the film to your hardrive on another PC.

Then use software player of your choice on a remote machine to play them back (ones I have tried succesfully):

PowerDVD

Zoomplayer

My kids use PowerDVD as its a doddle to setup and use (and they dont care much for the image quality)

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I already have a selection of movies ripped to my file server, mainly the double disk ones, and a selection of often played favorites, I would of course LOVE to have them all up on the file server, but I've estimated that would require close to 2TB of space, and expanding all the time. I could just about stretch to that if I unmirrored all my storage disks, and upgrade a couple of the smaller ones, and moved my music storage to another server... but thats a whole other thread.

- Rick

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.