AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I admit it, I would no longer consider myself a hardcore gamer. I still enjoy my PS3 and keep up with everything (I mean I am on AVS), but I do not find myself playing games as much. Working 9-10 hours a day leaves little time for marathon gaming sessions.

This past weekend I had nothing to do, so I decided to rent Uncharted since I heard it was a great game with a solid story. I popped in the disc and when starting a new game it asked what level I wanted to play on. Now in the past I would have never ever ever imagined playing on anything less than normal, but I found myself sitting there saying...you know what...I just want to run through the game and have some fun...so I actually selected easy.

I kind of forgot I did this until I beat it and it said I unlocked the reward for beating the game on Easy. At this point I thought to myself...wow...I actually struggled in some places...am I starting to get old?

This lead me to wonder if anyone else out there actually plays games on the easy level?

·
Registered
368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player2 /forum/post/12997713

..am I starting to get old?

This lead me to wonder if anyone else out there actually plays games on the easy level?

Yes we are.

But I'd truly rather scream at the TV and tell the game to stop cheating then play on easy.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpthree /forum/post/12997731

Yes we are.

But I'd truly rather scream at the TV and tell the game to stop cheating then play on easy.

Heh. I'm glad that I'm not the only one where "old" doesn't mean "mature."

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm 28 and I admit I play most games on easy except for sports games. I can't imagine playing COD4 single player on hard. FPS stress me out if I keep dying. I just like to shoot people. When I want a challenge I go online. When I get Uncharted I will play on easy for sure. That will give me a little time to enjoy the scenery.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Hello, my name is 'garciab', and I play my games on easy. I'm more interested in the story than a challenge, and like you, I don't have the time to play like before. If I like the game enough, I'll replay it on harder levels, but that rarely happens. So yea, there's at least one other person out here playing games on 'easy'.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
I do that a lot when I'm replaying some of my favorite games from the past. With new games though I generally stick to normal. I did play Uncharted on hard the first time through and I think it was a better experience for it. Not that it isn't a lot of fun on easy but the way the AI responds on hard makes for a more interesting game I think. Plus it's a pretty short game too.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I usually play on Normal and go back and play on Hard the second time through, but the occiassional game demands playing on Easy. If that is what it takes to see all the game and explore all the story I am all for it.

·
Registered
5,949 Posts
Oh hell no. I work hard too but you're just not getting the full experience most of the time. The AI is dumbed down to the point where a chimp could blast through the game in no time. I normally play on Normal, which is usually pretty easy as is (Gears of War is the notable exception, but the easy in that game was chimp mode too), unless the developer or fans say the game is better in a higher difficulty, like Halo 3 (playing through on Heroic, it got easy once I got the hang of it) and Call of Duty 2. Harder difficulties are more satisfying to get through.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I, like a lot of players around these forums have been playing home "console" games for 20+ years...starting with Atari and Intelivision and progressing onto Nintendo, Sega, and Sony...ok now that I see it typed I feel old
As of late I've been getting back into gaming more and more, as much as I can anyway. As it's been stated, I (we) now have careers, families and plenty of other daily life musts that keep us away from our age-old hobby, but thats ok.

I tend to still play new games at normal or above, simple to keep me "sharp", I figure if I can finish a title on more difficult setting, it may take me longer but it makes me fell as if I can still "play", weird I know. My biggest grip now is with my diminishing skills - remember back in the day when you be over a friends house, he just got a new game that you've never played and you could jump right-in and in a few minutes be navigating as if you made it...sometimes I miss those days. Oh well, it's not as if I have any plans of quiting so bring it on father time

·
Registered
4,591 Posts
i play on normal and that's it. i don't feel the need to placate my ego by beating hard. unless the game is truly a master piece. the last time i did that was goldeneye on the 64!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I play videogames for the experience and to have fun, not to get frustrated. I have enough REAL stuff in my life to get frustrated about - like work and paying the bills - I don't need to add to that. My leisure time is about relaxing and having fun, so that's how I like my video games.

BTW, the game I've been playing the most lately - Ninja Gaiden Sigma - is beating the hell out of me, AND I'm playing it in 'Ninja Dog' mode (the easiest mode) so not all "easy" games can be beaten by a chimp.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I play on normal and sometimes on hard, but only if I REALLY, REALLY liked the game and wanted to give it another shot. However, I remember having to use a glitch to beat the final fight in one game, namely Far Cry (a PC game from like 2004, made by the same people as Crysis). That's when games on normal go too far, but nearly all of the games nowadays are beatable for me on normal so I don't really ever play on easy.

·
Registered
942 Posts
I play on Normal, Easy or Hard if the game is really fun, but to me, games are to have fun. I have enough challenges in my life like kids, job and things to do around the house. I don't need to prove to myself that I am great just because I beat a game at easy. It's the fun that counts in playing games.

When I pick up a board game and play with the kids, I don't usually sit around thinking, "Hey, I wish this game was harder". Video game playing is just an extension of board game playing in my book and when the kids play, I always remind them that they are playing to have fun and don't get frustrated. Once the frustration kicks in, game time is over for them. Believe me, I would rather them get frustrated doing their Math homework than watch them get frustrated doing something that is supposed to make them feel better after getting frustrated from their homework.

BTW: I am 36 and I have nothing else to prove.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Maybe I should start playing games on easy too.

I usually play a game on normal then I get stuck about halfway through, and dont finish the game.

·
Registered
14 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaneotool /forum/post/13000761

Maybe I should start playing games on easy too.

I usually play a game on normal then I get stuck about halfway through, and dont finish the game.

I couldn't agree more. I do it so often i don't remember the last time I beat a game :>

·
Registered
452 Posts
I used to play games on easy till- GOD OF WAR! Something about beating the game on GOD MODE.. Oh wait I couldn't get past the rolling platform with flying bats right before reaching Pandoras Box!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think many of us from the arcade generation (im 35) are the first generation where its "OK" to be an older gamer. There used to be such a social stigma attached to an older adult playing games.

Remember what our fathers and grandfathers went through...their version of our games (train sets, modelling etc) all done in the secret confines of their basements or garages lest their friends and families spot them.

We have come along way but I digress...

I just use a simple rule of thumb...If a game on normal or difficult doesn't sustain my interest or I "have" to set it to easy then its not worth playing imo and I move on to the next title. Too many games to have to work on bending it to my will.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
I tend to still play new games at normal

·
Registered
12,175 Posts
The main thing for me is that action games to day by and large are faaaaaar easier than they used to be. But to be honest, they have more content and often last longer. I go back and play old classics and realize that except for the PSN, none of these games could come out with the short but difficult play structure from the old days.

When I get a new game I tend to choose 'Hard' over 'Normal' unless the series has a reputation for being challenging right out of the gate. I want the first experience to be as taxing as possible without being impossible; it helps me appreciate the game more. Not only that, since I often go back and play through a good game a 2nd time, I still will be challenged on a smooth scale by selecting 'Very Hard' next, instead of going from 'Normal' to 'Very Hard'.

I just beat CoD4 on Hard (PC version) in my first play through because A) I heard it was short, and B) I've played so many FPS games that Normal would hardly challenge me. It was a good choice because it the intense action kept me on my toes without being impossible. It's a waste of money to me to walk through a game easily the first time through.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts