AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched other threads for answers to my problem but have not been able to find a solution.

I have some MKV files that i can play fine when not in VMC buy using core AVC and media player classic but when i go into VMC to play the file it says it was unable to locate or open the correct codec.

Has anyone else had success with getting MKV files to play through VMC ??

·
Registered
497 Posts
rename the extension to avi.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
First you need to edit the registry so that VMC can recognize the .mkv extensions.

The what I did to get 100% smooth playback was to install Haali splitter and core AVC. If you have FFdshow installed make sure you have vc-1 and h.264/x.264 decoding disabled in FFdshow codec settings.

Once you do all that you should be able to get 100% smooth .mkv playback in VMC.

- Josh

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Im interested in backing up my HDDVD's and Blurays to my HDD. Will VMC recognize them in the DVD library??

Has anyone gotten this to work??

Thanks

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
VMC uses different decoders. What I had to do is use radlight filter manager to set the priority of various directshow filters to get it to work.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Media Player Classic has its own internal filters and decoders, which include a Matroska splitter and an H264 decoder, so succesful playback there doesn't mean other apps like Media Center will be able to play them.

As pointed out above, you should install the Haali Media Splitter which can split .mkv files, and if you already have CoreAVC installed you're already covered for the decoding portion.

Also, you can associate .mkv files with Media Center by right-clicking on a file, choosing Open With... and selecting Media Center. No need to edit the registry.

·
Registered
386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzener /forum/post/13882083

Im interested in backing up my HDDVD's and Blurays to my HDD. Will VMC recognize them in the DVD library??

Has anyone gotten this to work??

Thanks

No, VMC will not see them. However with My Movies you can rip your discs and browse your library through the VMC interface, although you need PowerDVD to play them. My Movies will launch it automatically for you.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabnebula /forum/post/13886847

No, VMC will not see them. However with My Movies you can rip your discs and browse your library through the VMC interface, although you need PowerDVD to play them. My Movies will launch it automatically for you.

This is not correct, or at least it's not what I've seen. I have Vista Ultimate SP1 installed and VMC recognized mkv's right out of the box. Once I installed Halli, CoreAVC, and AC3Filter, they play back perfectly also.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm having absolutely no success at all playing MKV files in VMC. It plays fine through Windows Media Player and Classic.

This is a 1080p file w/ ac3 audio

I have tried renaming it to avi and it has not worked

I followed the following instructions

I did this

C:\\windows\\system32\\cmd.exe /C start /affinity 1 C:\\windows\\ehome\\ehshell.exe

I installed COREAVC w/ Haali and made sure AVI support was enabled

I disabled h.264/x.264 and VC-1 in FFDshow

I am running a 8800Gt by Nvidia w/ Vista Ultimate 64bit quad core

what am I doing wrong?

Is there a step by step tutorial to get this thing to work?

thanks

·
Registered
4,641 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon95 /forum/post/13887317

This is not correct, or at least it's not what I've seen. I have Vista Ultimate SP1 installed and VMC recognized mkv's right out of the box. Once I installed Halli, CoreAVC, and AC3Filter, they play back perfectly also.

Maybe, but did it recognize them as "DVDs" or just as video files?
i.e. do they appear in the Video library in VMC or the DVD library?

·
Registered
278 Posts
Worked fine afterwards for me. copy the code below and paste into notepad and save as "mkv.reg". make sure it doesn't add the .txt extension afterwards. it should now see the mkv files properly. make sure the files are in the monitored folders.

Code:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.mkv]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Content Type"="video/x-matroska"
"PerceivedType"="video"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\\.mka]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Content Type"="audio/x-matroska"
"PerceivedType"="audio"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlayer\\MIME Types\\video/x-matroska]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"UserApprovedOwning"="yes"
"Extensions.SpaceSep"=".mkv"
"Extensions.CommaSep"="mkv"
"Extension.Key"=".mkv"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlayer\\MIME Types\\audio/x-matroska]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Extensions.SpaceSep"=".mka"
"Extensions.CommaSep"="mka"
"Extension.Key"=".mka"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlayer\\Groups\\Video\\mkv]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Description"="Includes files with .mkv extensions."
"Extensions"=".mkv"
"FriendlyTypeName"="Matroska Media File"
"MIME Types"="video/x-matroska"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlayer\\Groups\\Audio\\mka]
@="MatroskaVideo"
"Description"="Includes files with .mka extensions."
"Extensions"=".mka"
"FriendlyTypeName"="Matroska Media File"
"MIME Types"="audio/x-matroska"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlayer\\Extensions\\.mkv]
"Permissions"=dword:0000000f
"Runtime"=dword:00000007
"PerceivedType"="video"
"MediaType.Description"="Matroska Media File"
"Extension.Handler"="MatroskaVideo"
"Extension.MIME"="video/x-matroska"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Multimedia\\WMPlayer\\Extensions\\.mka]
"Permissions"=dword:0000000f
"Runtime"=dword:00000007
"PerceivedType"="audio"
"MediaType.Description"="Matroska Media File"
"Extension.Handler"="MatroskaVideo"
"Extension.MIME"="audio/x-matroska"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\MediaPlayer\\Player\\Extensions\\Descriptions]
"819"="Matroska Media File (*.mkv;*.mka)"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\MediaPlayer\\Player\\Extensions\\MUIDescriptions]
"819"="Matroska Media File"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\MediaPlayer\\Player\\Extensions\\Types]
"819"="*.mkv;*.mka"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\MediaPlayer\\MLS\\Extensions]
"mkv"="video"
"mka"="audio"

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
I read on here somewhere, forgot where, but what I did on new installs of windows to get mkv as well as other file extension support in VMC was to close VMC, go to an mkv file with windows explorer, then right click on said file, in this case an .mkv file, then go to "open with"

once you are in the section where is say choose application to open the file, click the down facing arrow to show other programs, and choose Media Center.

From then on it, MCE will recognize said file extension, will show up in your videos folder and will play them with no issues, barring you have CoreAVC, FFdshow, or some other codec installed that supports .mkv playback.

for me I have CoreAVC, Halli splitter, and FFdshow installed with vc-1, h.264, and mpeg4 disabled in FFDshow so that if forces CoreAVC to decode the .mkv files.

- Josh

·
Registered
364 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoX /forum/post/13741899

I have searched other threads for answers to my problem but have not been able to find a solution.

I have some MKV files that i can play fine when not in VMC buy using core AVC and media player classic but when i go into VMC to play the file it says it was unable to locate or open the correct codec.

Has anyone else had success with getting MKV files to play through VMC ??

Forget the reg hacks. Just install "My Movies". I love that add on.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
You need graphedit to show you what each mkv files is using for codecs.

Then you use radlight filter manager to set the priority of each codec.

Then mkv's play just fine.

·
Registered
691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob2300NX /forum/post/14121088

Forget the reg hacks. Just install "My Movies". I love that add on.

That is exact what I am doing. Register the mkv file as a movie and play it from MM. You don't need to do any reg hacks. At runtime, the mkv file will be passed to vmc/WMP from MM. Using this way, wahtever file you can play using WMP, it will play with VMC.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Again the whole "right click and open with" and choosing media center works EVERY time.

- Josh

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
More important is what graphedit says you are currently using. Then you use radlight filter manager to change the priority of various codecs until graphedit shows you are using the ones you want.

AC3filter for audio, CoreAVC or Cyberlink for video.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts