AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
YES... I know you can't do it lossless. You need HDMI. But I bought my AVR right before HDMI was a common feature.

I apologize if this has been answered 100 times... But I've searched and searched and played around with winamp, VLC and foobar.

Is there a plug-in that will convert the 24/96 multi channel FLAC to DTS or AC-3 on the fly? Or am I trying to do the impossible?

I've played around with WASAPI but never had any luck with multi channel sound. I can get my computer to play 24/96 FLAC files (which I think are being transmitted lossless w/o transcoding) And I can play blu-rays with DTS or DD.

As much as I've researched I never know enough... LPCM, PCM, bitstreaming, ugh... I guess that's why I am here! please educate me!

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
From what I remember, MediaPlayer Classic is able to transcode multi-channel 'anything' into a multi-channel 'DolbyDigital' bit-stream via SPDIF...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital  /t/1522086/playing-multi-channel-24-96-flac-files-from-computer-over-s-pdif-coax#post_24469349

From what I remember, MediaPlayer Classic is able to transcode multi-channel 'anything' into a multi-channel 'DolbyDigital' bit-stream via SPDIF...

cool thanks I will give it a shot tonight.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital  /t/1522086/playing-multi-channel-24-96-flac-files-from-computer-over-s-pdif-coax#post_24469349

I downloaded it and tried every setting I could find with no success.

It sees the files as multi channel, my AVR does not.

I don't think it's converting the lossless FLAC to AC-3 or DTS... I think that is the problem.

this thread seems to offer the solution
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1151463/flac-5-1-through-sound-system

"ffdshow, AC3Filter and Reclock can all re-encode any 5.1 channel PCM track to AC3"

I will play around with Reclock and AC3Filter tonight....

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
The more audio decoder filters and splitters you install the more difficult it becomes to set-up your computer to do what you want.

MediaPlayer Classic can do what you require without any additional decoder filters and splitters. Try these settings: -

You will also have to make sure that MediaPlayer Classic's audio decoder filters are actually decoding the FLAC audio stream and not some other filters

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital  /t/1522086/playing-multi-channel-24-96-flac-files-from-computer-over-s-pdif-coax#post_24472552

The more audio decoder filters and splitters you install the more difficult it becomes to set-up your computer to do what you want.

MediaPlayer Classic can do what you require without any additional decoder filters and splitters. Try these settings: -

You will also have to make sure that MediaPlayer Classic's audio decoder filters are actually decoding the FLAC audio stream and not some other filters

just decoding it isn't enough... you can't pass lossless multichannel through S/PDIF... it plays the files just fine, but it's only sending 2.0 to the AVR... The AVR needs an AC-3 or DTS stream.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizary  /t/1522086/playing-multi-channel-24-96-flac-files-from-computer-over-s-pdif-coax/0_50#post_24473187

just decoding it isn't enough... you can't pass lossless multichannel through S/PDIF... it plays the files just fine, but it's only sending 2.0 to the AVR... The AVR needs an AC-3 or DTS stream.
I'm aware of what you require. The above setting will allow you to transcode multi-channel Flac audio file to a multi-channel DolbyDigital bit-stream.

I performed a test myself before I submitted my previous post. So I know it works

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMoreDigital  /t/1522086/playing-multi-channel-24-96-flac-files-from-computer-over-s-pdif-coax#post_24473600

I'm aware of what you require. The above setting will allow you to transcode multi-channel Flac audio file to a multi-channel DolbyDigital bit-stream.

I performed a test myself before I submitted my previous post. So I know it works

Ok I will take a look tonight... didn't get to play around with it last night.

Also I never saw the screenshot with the settings you posted until this morning when I looked at this thread on my phone... I guess my work computer is blocking the image... I don't get a broken image or any message... just no image. Strange.

Thanks again... hope this works.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizary  /t/1522086/playing-multi-channel-24-96-flac-files-from-computer-over-s-pdif-coax/0_50#post_24484289

Still no luck... my screens look a little different.
From the images you have provided, you have 'LAV Audio Decoder' performing ALL the audio decoding instead of 'Media Player Classic'... As I mentioned previously "You will also have to make sure that MediaPlayer Classic's audio decoder filters are actually decoding the FLAC audio stream and not some other filters..."

You will need to visit 'LAV Splitter' and 'LAV Audio' and de-select the Flac decoding options: -

Selecting splitter, decoder along with their priority options for use with software media players can be quite a learning curve

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
Any luck mizary?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts