Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am in the process of building my HTPC. It will be in another room. I was thinking of recording my DVD's onto a hard drive so I would be able to watch them without having to get up and put a disk in.

Is that possible?

If so, what is needed?

Obviously a big hard drive. I don't have a DVD burner, but do I need one? I am not trying to copy the movies, just store them on a hard drive.

Will I loose quality? Will there be stuttering?

Thanks.

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
dude, i'll be as gentle as possible...but use the search.this has been covered thoroughly!!!

is possible.

no quality difference.

many softwar players allow you to play them...(powerdvd or zoom in particular).

brickie

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Tried to search, but it brought me to a blank white page a few times.

I could wait till it starts working but my S.O. is looking to get me a xmas gift, so I was thinking maybe a DVD burner to accomplish what I want to do. Just not sure if i need a DVD recorder and if so, which one to get (DVD-RW, DVD+RW, etc...)

·
Registered
464 Posts
here, I'll give you a hint

search for gknot on this forum

then goto doom9.net and click the drop down menu on the right, hit Divx5 guide

it'll tell you about the gknot program.. I too am new to this stuff, but have found thta it is by far the best app out there for doing these rips and saving them..

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just got the search to work.

Had to click on the link under the "You request is being processed" that says "Click here if you are tired of waiting"

I got some results and they all seem pretty complicated and time consuming, guess I will just get off my fat, lazy azz and put the disc in.

·
Registered
318 Posts
hehe...that was my final decision. sure would be neat to play from HDD but it is in fact more work (especially if you have a large collection).

·
Registered
72 Posts
DVD Decrypter needs about three clicks to make an ISO image out of a DVD and DaemonTools lets you mount that image as a DVD playable by any DVD player, wouldn't call that overwhelmingly hard:) You'll need lot's of disk space as this will be the whole DVD with all the quality and all the extras.

/T

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, you were not kidding!!!!

Done and playing on my PC.

Guess the hard part is trying to shrink it down and stuff.

Thanks!!!!

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
blueshirt,

glad you got it figured out...there are many ways to do what you want to accomplish.i haven't tried the daemon tools way yet.

brickie

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess that was the confusing part, so many people saying so many different things.

Now I need to build a Hard Drive Array :)

·
Registered
148 Posts
you can use ifoedit to strip unwanted extras, audio, and subtitles, which means just the movie and will shrink the file size. check out the guides section at doom9, you need dvddecrypter, ifoedit, and vobarator. Of course if you want the extras, then there is no need for ifoedit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.