AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this thread last night and it was closed.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=847154

I think people misunderstood what I said. The particular camcorder that I now own(Sony 2007 HDR-UX5) will only play it's DVD's that are recorded in HD with an AVCHD format compatible device. According to the camcorder manual " DVD media containing AVCHD footage may be played on a compatible Blu-ray disc player" and the manual infers that this is the only type player ( Blu-ray) that these discs will play HD footage on. In other words this camcorder records HD to a DVD that will play such back on a Sony Blu-ray player. Correct me if wrong. I will accept that. But if I am right then most of those responders to that thread owe me an apology. A moderater should do this if he has integrity and realizes that he is wrong. Also , if I am right, the moderator that closed that thread above should apologize and reopen it. Again, if I am wrong on this I accept the moderators closing of it. I believe I am right on this. I hope we do not have any more pack attack mentality without the proper technical knowledge on this new format on this board. What we fail to do in life is to go back and take a second look at an issue before judging.

Oh and btw here is the Sony site link proving my point- This is a prime example of posters and mods not knowing their technical regarding the new HD technologies.
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...C&HQS=sony_UX5

·
Registered
3,592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonGuy /forum/post/0

I posted this thread last night and it was closed.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=847154

I think people misunderstood what I said. The particular camcorder that I now own(Sony 2007 HDR-UX5) will only play it's DVD's that are recorded in HD with an AVCHD format compatible device. According to the camcorder manual " DVD media containing AVCHD footage may be played on a compatible Blu-ray disc player" and the manual infers that this is the only type player ( Blu-ray) that these discs will play HD footage on. In other words this camcorder records HD to a DVD that will play such back on a Sony Blu-ray player. Correct me if wrong. I will accept that. But if I am right then most of those responders to that thread owe me an apology. A moderater should do this if he has integrity and realizes that he is wrong. Also , if I am right, the moderator that closed that thread above should apologize and reopen it. Again, if I am wrong on this I accept the moderators closing of it. I believe I am right on this. I hope we do not have any more pack attack mentality without the proper technical knowledge on this new format on this board. What we fail to do in life is to go back and take a second look at an issue before judging.

Oh and btw here is the Sony site link proving my point- This is a prime example of posters and mods not knowing their technical regarding the new HD technologies.
http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTE...C&HQS=sony_UX5

I've actually seen the Panasonic DMP-BD10 play AVCHD discs, so that's a starting point for you. If you're interested in other players, you should take an AVCHD disc created on your HD camera to your local dealer and test it on the Blu-ray players that they have.

Ron

·
Registered
396 Posts
AVCHD footage and HDV footage will play wonderfully on the PS3. In fact I feel the PS3 is worth the $600 I paid just for this feature alone (not to mention all the other cool stuff it does) YMMV.

You can edit AVCHD footage to HDV (in Vegas 7.0e) and burn a conventional DVD with the resulting HDV footage for approx. 20-minutes worth of HD on DVD. Or you can just transfer various formats using media cards or USB.

I think the PS3 is great (obviously for all the wrong reasons - he-he-he).

·
Registered
4,039 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr1394 /forum/post/0

I've actually seen the Panasonic DMP-BD10 play AVCHD discs, so that's a starting point for you. If you're interested in other players, you should take an AVCHD disc created on your HD camera to your local dealer and test it on the Blu-ray players that they have.

Ron

I concur. I play AVCHD discs in my Panasonic all the time.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just curious- do you think the PS3 plays AVCHD as well as the Panasonic DMP-BD10? I would think there has been little side by side comparisons this early on-heck there may be little difference.. If you know I would appreciate your input.

·
Registered
3,222 Posts
You can also invest in a BD drive and start burning BD-R/REs of 25GB or 50GB.

Using the PS3, you can transfer your AVCHD to an external HDD/flashdrive/iPod and watch it like that.

fuad

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
AVCHD is not automatically supported by every BD-player out there. Some do, some don't. PS3 got the ability in a firmware upgrade, and so did Panny BD10.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to everyone that responded- all of you were very erudite on the latest technology and your experiences- keep it coming -this particular board forum needs it.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I can post back from my experiences this weekend...

AVCHD DVD-R created using Sony Motion Picture Browser (or whatever the default Sony software is) does not play on my Samsung BC-P1000 with up to date firmware. I have a HDR-SR7 camcorder. I hope I can hold out until the 3rd gen updated BD-Live spec players come out in November before I buy a new player.

-Evangelo2

·
Registered
12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evangelo2 /forum/post/0

I can post back from my experiences this weekend...

AVCHD DVD-R created using Sony Motion Picture Browser (or whatever the default Sony software is) does not play on my Samsung BC-P1000 with up to date firmware. I have a HDR-SR7 camcorder. I hope I can hold out until the 3rd gen updated BD-Live spec players come out in November before I buy a new player.

-Evangelo2

I have now 2 HDC-SD1 Panasonic AVCHD Camcorders at half the price of the Sony. They play great on the new Panny 10A blu-ray disc player. I originally purchased the blu-ray particularly for the ease of watching my high definition movies on the big screen and sending one to my son across the country. The added bonus of watching original blu-ray discs is a unexpected pleasure. I'm hoping the blu-ray choices will expand to include more drama and musicals. I would also like to buy another blu-ray player for around $399 or so but I have patience.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Be aware of a couple of issues, currently Sony Vegas 7.0c only supports the SONY variant of AVCHD and DOES NOT support Panasonic version. Sony is supposed to fix this at some point, but currently there is NO support. In addition if you have the Hard drive only version of the AVCHD Sony units, Vegas 7.0c seems to have problems recognizing the camcorder and transferring the data. The work around seems to be to use the Sony simple software to do the transfer and then import it into Vegas.

John

·
Registered
192 Posts
Just another word of caution,

While AVCHD format burned on recordable dvd is supported by BD-10a and the Sony S300,

both player, as stated in the manual, are NOT compatible with BD-R / BD-RE,

as contrary to the Sony BDP-S1 which had a different ODD.

Can anyone on this board verify this?

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Just an update guys,

I ordered a Pio Elite BD-P94HD BD palyer. I brought a AVCHD DVD=R with me to the Best Buy and tested it. All works fine.

Also, Sony Vegas t.o works for sure with Sony AVCHD but you need to download the 7.0e patch free from Sony if you have this software.

-Evangelo2

·
Registered
166 Posts
I decided not to wait for the Panasonic Blu-Ray player and purchased a Sony BDP-S300 today.

I have a lot of DVD-R UDF 2.5 AVCHD (MPEG-4 AVC/H.264) disks with footage from Panasonic HDC-SD1PP high definition camera recorded using Leadtools HD Writer Ver 1.0E software. The good news: Sony BDP-S300 plays these disks no problem. The bad news: I can't figure out how to turn on the Date/Time display (to display the date and time the recordings were made).

Do any of the Blu-Ray players allow turning on the Date and Time display for AVCHD footage?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm trying to decide between the Samsung 1200, which suppusedly is better at playing back SD DVDs and the Sony 300. Both are said to have similar quality when playing back a blueray disc.

I have a lot of AVCHD content that plays fine on the Sony 300 and the Panasonic.

I'm coming to the concuclusion that there is no way to AVCHD content to play on the Samsung 1200. Maybe a firmware upgrade?

Does anyone know anything about the Samsung and AVCHD support?

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just brought a AVCHD DVD (created with Sony Motion Picture Browser) to my local electronics store to test it on a Sharp Aquos BD-HP20U. No dice. Worked fine on a Sony BD-300.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.