AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm not mistaken, there are no Windows news readers that can decompress a multi-part rar container while simultaneously playing/execute what's it in. Why?

I think this idea would only work if you dont run into a limitation of downloading all parts at the same time (ie, TCP/IP concurrent file connections, news server limit, at the bitrate need to comfortably stream the file in real-time.. ie, ~15mbps - ~30mbps (such as with new Comcast and Sprint internet). It would also preemptively download from par files as well.

-MKANET

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Cool idea, kind of like how you used to be able to watch a video with limewire as it downloaded.

I dont think its tghe news reader as much as it would be some outside program, you could probably set up a script to play the rars as they come in. As long as they come in order. Some media players can play the rar files.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the whole point, it doesnt work the way you mention. It specifically needs to download bits of all the files at the same time. The way you mentioned, you would still have to wait to open all the rar files one by one. It's not that simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboy714 /forum/post/17044198

Cool idea, kind of like how you used to be able to watch a video with limewire as it downloaded.

I dont think its tghe news reader as much as it would be some outside program, you could probably set up a script to play the rars as they come in. As long as they come in order. Some media players can play the rar files.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
An individual rar file might not be able to be read for the portion of the large file it contains. Each rar file is a compression of the original and all rar files may have to be present in order for it to be reconstructed.

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, that's the whole point of the special software; which I guess I didnt mention it clear enough for everyone to understand. It seems theoretically possible. As the last person said; the media player inside Limewire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte /forum/post/17044810

An individual rar file might not be able to be read for the portion of the large file it contains. Each rar file is a compression of the original and all rar files may have to be present in order for it to be reconstructed.

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
If all rar files must be present (not saying this is the case) in order for it to reconstruct the files inside, then no 'special software' could get this to work.

With limeware, would it stream movies that were in rar files being downloaded or only movies that were the video file?

·
Registered
7,654 Posts
Heres an example right here.
http://www.rarplayer.net/

You just need to make a script to play the rars in order. And make sure your usenet client is downloading the rars in order. I dont think it should be all that hard for someone who has experience making scripts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrwalte /forum/post/17044911

If all rar files must be present (not saying this is the case) in order for it to reconstruct the files inside, then no 'special software' could get this to work.

With limeware, would it stream movies that were in rar files being downloaded or only movies that were the video file?

No with limewire it was video files, just giving an example, but if you see the link above for rarplayer it is possible to watch it without unraring . Actually you may be right though, that software still might need all the rars present, you just dont have to unrar to view the video.

Not sure I dont use it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts