AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the specs for most DLP projectors, I'm seeing 1024 X 768 resolution (1 chip DLPs) max. How is it possible to acheive a 720p resolution (1280 X 720) or above with this setup?

Thanks.

Troy

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
Troy,

TI has been producing a 1280x720 DMD device for over a year which has been used in several RP TVs. This chip has been tweeked to reduce light leakage and is now designed in several FP projectors.

-phil

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
The image is compressed to fit the native resolution. It just makes it possible to view 720P material. Some new DLP projector actually have a native 1280x720 resolution.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the compression visible to the naked eye? Does this introduce any unnecessary artifacts to the picture?

I've heard of the Mits RPTV that has the 1280 X 720 resolution (it got pretty good reviews in an issue of Home Theater mag).

Are there any DLP projectors that do 1920 X 1080? I know that they're cost would probably be astronomical.

Thanks.

Troy

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Troy LaMont:
Is the compression visible to the naked eye? Does this introduce any unnecessary artifacts to the picture?

Troy
If the scaler is quite good it might be dificult to see with normal video, with text from a pc you can normally tell straight away.

Jeff

·
Registered
855 Posts
Quote:
Are there any DLP projectors that do 1920 X 1080?
No. Though rumor has it that there is a 1920x1080 DMD (created for DARPA) in the TI-DLP technology demonstration center in Plano, Texas. I'll try to find the reference, if interested.

------------------

Huck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.