AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just started using PlayOn with Netflix. I am wondering if there is a way to have Netflix or any other PlayOn channel or its many plugins play through MPC-HC instead of the built in XBMC player. Currently running Gotham 13.2. Thank you in advance:confused::confused:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Set up mpc-hc as an external player with a playercorefactory.xml file in your userdata folder.

Check the external player wiki in Kodi for how to set them up

I usually like to set up external players without any rules at all, then you can still get them to play from the context menu (if you want). If you want all video to play through the external player the rule is pretty simple though

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Set up mpc-hc as an external player with a playercorefactory.xml file in your userdata folder.

Check the external player wiki in Kodi for how to set them up

I usually like to set up external players without any rules at all, then you can still get them to play from the context menu (if you want). If you want all video to play through the external player the rule is pretty simple though
I'd have it set up, I set it up to play mkv and mp4 files, those are my primary file types. After I installed Playon and set up Netflix I added mpeg2 and vc1 to the list but nothing, it still launches using the built in xbmc player.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Well internet streams can be rtsp or something else. If you really want everything to go to mpc hc take your existing rule and take out the file type or file name party. It should just be

rule video="true" player="mpc-hc" /rule

The only downside to that is that PVR will break, so if you are using PVR you will need to ignore everything I just said To use PVR (ie - what I call the more "hacky" way) then leave all your file type and file name rules defined :( and add one more rule with internetstreams="true" and mpc hc as the player

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well internet streams can be rtsp or something else. If you really want everything to go to mpc hc take your existing rule and take out the file type or file name party. It should just be

The only downside to that is that PVR will break, so if you are using PVR you will need to ignore everything I just said To use PVR (ie - what I call the more "hacky" way) then leave all your file type and file name rules defined
and add one more rule with internetstreams="true" and mpc hc as the player
Well I don't use PVR , as I don't have a cable card or anything that will allow me to get live TV via xbmc as everything that's out there is pure rubbish as no one maintains the links, so I will try as you suggested and report back.

·
Registered
761 Posts
I'd have it set up, I set it up to play mkv and mp4 files, those are my primary file types. After I installed Playon and set up Netflix I added mpeg2 and vc1 to the list but nothing, it still launches using the built in xbmc player.
Play-On saves in a proprietary format or as mp4, depending on which you select in the settings menu. If you save all as mp4 and then have the external plaer set to play mp4s, it will work just fine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

The only downside to that is that PVR will break, so if you are using PVR you will need to ignore everything I just said To use PVR (ie - what I call the more "hacky" way) then leave all your file type and file name rules defined :( and add one more rule with internetstreams="true" and mpc hc as the player
Ok it worked, but now the issue i have is that i can not use the ffw or rew buttons on my harmony remote to control Netflix. When i try to use it, it pauses the video. If i try to use it the ffw and rew via mpc-hc it restarts the video. If i leave the settings as they are now and play the PlayOn Netfix channel via the XBMC built in player all remote control options work as they should. So why streaming content cant be controlled via mpc-hc the same way at the XBMC built in player. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Ok it worked, but now the issue i have is that i can not use the ffw or rew buttons on my harmony remote to control Netflix. When i try to use it, it pauses the video. If i try to use it the ffw and rew via mpc-hc it restarts the video. If i leave the settings as they are now and play the PlayOn Netfix channel via the XBMC built in player all remote control options work as they should. So why streaming content cant be controlled via mpc-hc the same way at the XBMC built in player. Any suggestions?
I'm still confused about the "XBMC built-in player" thing. Built in to what? I use PlayOn but only at my HTPC locations where they see PlayOn as a DLNA stream. It sounds like PlayOn has an XBMC player built into it? If that's the case, then it makes sense. If you can use a media player that is built in to PlayOn then you can probably access the stream exactly as it comes in, allowing you to FFW/Rew. However, if you access PlayOn with an outside media player via UPnP/DLNA, it transcodes the stream by default. You won't be able to FFW/Rew while the stream is being transcoded. There is no way to turn off this transcoding.

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
Does pause/stop/ff/rw work with your other (non-netflix) videos when played through mpc-hc? If not you need to modify the mpc-hc key mappings to match what you use for XBMC with your harmony. (Either way works, whatever you used - direct keyboard shortcuts or wmc mappings can be setup in mpc-hc. There was a quasi-guide for this in the old WMC sticky in this forum and assassin's guides)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm still confused about the "XBMC built-in player" thing. Built in to what? I use PlayOn but only at my HTPC locations where they see PlayOn as a DLNA stream. It sounds like PlayOn has an XBMC player built into it? If that's the case, then it makes sense. If you can use a media player that is built in to PlayOn then you can probably access the stream exactly as it comes in, allowing you to FFW/Rew. However, if you access PlayOn with an outside media player via UPnP/DLNA, it transcodes the stream by default. You won't be able to FFW/Rew while the stream is being transcoded. There is no way to turn off this transcoding.
When I mean XBMC built in player, I mean the stock player that XBMC uses to play content (streaming, movies, etc.) When I try to play Netflix from Playon, using the XBMC built in player I can use all the standard remote functions. When I try to do the same using the external player, mpc-hc, I no longer have the ability to use the remote functions. This is what I was trying to get at. But I think you answered my question.

So, since I'm confusing everyone with the term, XBMC built in player, as referring to the stock player XBMC uses, what should I refer it by as to not confuse anyone.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Does pause/stop/ff/rw work with your other (non-netflix) videos when played through mpc-hc? If not you need to modify the mpc-hc key mappings to match what you use for XBMC with your harmony. (Either way works, whatever you used - direct keyboard shortcuts or wmc mappings can be setup in mpc-hc. There was a quasi-guide for this in the old WMC sticky in this forum and assassin's guides)
Yes all remote functions work on mpc-hc when playing movie files, it's just when using the Playon Netflix channel that they don't work.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Only pause works? Probably has to do with what was said above about play on being transcoded
I find it surprising that he can FFW/Rew at all when accessing PlayOn streams. I thought that everything that came through a subscription service was transcoded to an .mp4 file by PlayOn regardless of the player being used.

This is probably a question for the PlayOn team. They are pretty quick to answer questions like this. I would drop them an e-mail and they will probably get back with you in less than 12 hours.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Only pause works? Probably has to do with what was said above about play on being transcoded
I find it surprising that he can FFW/Rew at all when accessing PlayOn streams. I thought that everything that came through a subscription service was transcoded to an .mp4 file by PlayOn regardless of the player being used.

This is probably a question for the PlayOn team. They are pretty quick to answer questions like this. I would drop them an e-mail and they will probably get back with you in less than 12 hours.
Remember this is only when using Netflix on PlayOn, haven't tried any other streams (as most don't work properly).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts