AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using the trial version of PlayOn to stream Hulu, CBS, and Netflix to a PS3 and Xbox 360. I am planning on purchasing, if I can get the following issue resolved.

If I stream Hulu, CBS, and Netflix to the PS3 via PlayOn, I get a two channel audio signal with IDENTICAL information in each channel, meaning that I am getting MONO sound. I know this because I usually listen with Dolby PL IIx in Cinema or Music mode. In Cinema mode, if Dolby PL IIx is fed a 2 channel signal with identical information in both channels, then sound only comes out the center speaker. In Music mode, Dolby PL IIx is fed a 2 channel signal with identical information in both channels, then sound only comes out the left front, center, and right front speakers.

I should mention that I also stream content (MPEG2 content with .mpg extension) from a DLNA server to my PS3 and I get stereo or 5.1 channel sound, so clearly the PS3 is capable of streaming stereo sound.

If I stream Hulu, CBS, and Netflix to the Xbox 360 via PlayOn, I get a two channel audio signal with DIFFERENT information in each channel, meaning that I am getting STEREO sound. I know this because whether I use Dobly PL IIx Cinema or Music mode, I get sound coming from all of my 7.1 speakers.

I have tested the exact same shows on the PS3 and the Xbox 360 and the results are the same on both.

My setup is PlayOn version 2.59.3518.37 running on a 2.13 GHzCore 2 Duo with 1 GB of RAM running Windows XP. I have a 10 Mb down/1.5 Mb up internet connection from AT&T U-verse. My home network is wired 100 Mb ethernet, all switches, no hubs. I have tried PlayOn set to "Auto" and "Max" for Video Performance. I never get more than a 50% CPU load with either setting in Task Manager.

The PS3 is firmware version 2.8 (latest version). My Xbox 360 has the latest version of firmware as well. Both the Xbox 360 and PS3 are connected via HDMI to a Denon AVR-3808CI receiver.

I really would like to purchase PlayOn and continue to use it with my PS3, but the mono sound makes the experience very unacceptable. Subjectively, PlayOn streaming to the Xbox 360 sounds radically better than the PS3, even with the receiver in stereo mode (non-surround).

The other difference I have noticed between streaming (PlayOn and MPEG files via DLNA) to the PS3 and Xbox 360 is that the PS3 sends and RGB signal and the Xbox 360 sends a YCbCr signal, which would be better since it is the color space that the videos are encoded in. Does anyone know a way to get the PS3 to output a YCbCr signal for streaming videos?

Thanks,

Abe Hayhurst

·
Registered
297 Posts
Why not just use TVersity? It's free.

·
Registered
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt O /forum/post/17055090

Why not just use TVersity? It's free.

TVersity doesn't stream online content unless you pay to upgrade.

·
Registered
297 Posts
The upgrade to TVersity is $30; PlayOn is $40 and you have to buy it after a 14 day trial period. I guess I'm not seeing what PlayOn offers over TVersity.

Walt

·
Registered
859 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt O /forum/post/17057319

The upgrade to TVersity is $30; PlayOn is $40 and you have to buy it after a 14 day trial period. I guess I'm not seeing what PlayOn offers over TVersity.

Walt

How many sites will TVersity stream from and how well does it accomplish the task? PlayOn has support for user created add-ons so the internet content it will stream is limited to little more than what the community will develop for. Currently you can stream from YouTube, Hulu, G4, Gametrailers, Spike, NFL.com, and plenty of others I can't think of right now. It also does so without any loss in quality (something that quickly becomes apparent considering the already low quality of the source content). Maybe TVersity can claim the same, I'm not sure I only use it for streaming/transcoding my media files. I guess I'M not seeing what TVersity offers over PlayOn other than a slightly cheaper price tag.

·
Registered
5,817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PvtChurch /forum/post/17057719

How many sites will TVersity stream from

I haven't tried TVersity's web streaming, but the site says it supports:

# Hulu

# BBC iPlayer

# Joost

# CBS

# NBC

# The WB

# TV.com

# ESPN

# NFL

# MTV

# VH1

# Sling.com

# IMDB.com

# The Daily Show

# The Colbert Report

# Comedy Central

# South Park

# Marvel

# The Discovery Channel

# National Geographic Channel

# E Online

# TV4U

# Amazon VOD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.