AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just had a very interesting morning and afternoon. I got home and went to my Home Theater and decided to play around with the old PS2. Except I couldn't. :mad: When I tried to turn it on, nothing happened. I tried the main switch in the back of the unit, nothing happened. I tried plugging it in a different outlet, nothing happened. I tried using a different power cable, nothing happened. Does anyone see the recuring trend? :)

So the next logical move is ask any of the family members if they did something. The answer "No.". The next step after that is call Sony Tech support. Waited for 4 minutes on hold then got a tech. She pretty much didn't help. She told me I could send it in and have it repaired for $120. I then asked her, "Isn't the going rate for a PS2 $200?" She replied with a yes and a chuckle. She obviously got my point.

After that, I spent the majority of the time searching the internet for remedies or self-repair manuals. After finding nothing, I decided to go for and open the box up. I really didn't have much to lose at this point.

As I opened the box up to the mess of wires and boards, I found nothing that looked damaged, burnt, or otherwise misplaced. I checked the fuses I saw to see if they were okay, everything was fine (as far as I could tell). I closed it back up and figured that I would once again try to turn it on.

What do you know? Nothing happened.

Now the warning: I left my PS2 on stand-bye for like a three months. And while I had it plugged into a surge protector, I have a feeling that something surged through it and burnt it out. I have had my PS2 since November of 2000. So if anyone has a PS2 that old, be careful with it, and turn it off when you don't use it for long periods of time.

Sorry for making this long, but I have to get this off my chest one way or another. :)

Next move: Buy an XBOX. :D

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Or... you could just turn your toys off when you're done playing with them. :) Glad I turn my PS2 off when I'm done!

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't worry eaadams. It wasn't overheated. It just wouldn't turn on. Anyone wanna buy some PS2 games? J/k! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.