AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The slim PS3 is pretty much here, confirmed to be smaller, quieter, and cooler than any of the models before it. And while the current 'phat" PS3 model works great for most us (I still love my 60 GB launch unit), like any complex electronic device there are some that don't hold up as well as expected.

So what is the PS3's failure rate for the pre-slim model? According to Game Informer magazine , 10.5% have failed:

Quote:
Game Informer conducted a survey of around 5,000 of its readers to find out just how bad the problem was. According to Consumerist, it found that the overall hardware failure rate for the Xbox 360 is 54.2 percent. The PS3 does around five times better with a hardware failure rate of 10.6 percent, while the Wii performs even better with a failure rate of just 6.8 percent.

No doubt the newest PS3 model to be released in another week will improve on that figure.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblow /forum/post/17045018

The slim PS3 is pretty much here, confirmed to be smaller, quieter, and cooler than any of the models before it. And while the current 'phat" PS3 model works great for most us (I still love my 60 GB launch unit), like any complex electronic device there are some that don't hold up as well as expected.

So what is the PS3's failure rate for the pre-slim model? According to Game Informer magazine , 10.5% have failed:

No doubt the newest PS3 model to be released in another week will improve on that figure.

Because we all know that 5,000 is an accurate representation of 24mil. Not to mention it's on the internet so there could be fanboys trying to enhance the figure. And the fact that only the "hardcore" visit sites like this, while most "casuals" actually play the games.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I wonder how much of Xbox sales are from RROD members who bought it again.

In every 100 people, 46 people will have a working console *yet.

·
Registered
2,235 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. /forum/post/17045146

I wonder how much of Xbox sales are from RROD members who bought it again.

In every 100 people, 46 people will have a working console *yet.

With a failure rate like that they've probably made more off people buying boxes for the 2nd, 3rd time or paying for repair. Im no economist but I cant imagine ANY other product with that kinda failure that has the backing they enjoy.

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
Im no economist but I cant imagine ANY other product with that kinda failure that has the backing they enjoy.

Its Insane

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddy_winds /forum/post/17045253

Its Insane

that and a very low IQ.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts

Quote:
No doubt the newest PS3 model to be released in another week will improve on that figure

How can one be so sure? Cost cutting generally leads to higher failure rates, not less.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki /forum/post/17045509

How can one be so sure? Cost cutting generally leads to higher failure rates, not less.

I think thats what Joeblow meant, but worded it differently.

·
Registered
4,536 Posts
I'm actually surprised it's that high. 10% is no insignificant amount.

·
Registered
12,184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by imdjenk /forum/post/17045528

I think thats what Joeblow meant, but worded it differently.

Wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki /forum/post/17045509

Fewer parts, improved manufacturing and cooler components that cost less than they did three years ago... I've no doubt that the most recent models of 'phat' units had less failures than the launch units, and the slim model will improve on that even more.

Heat is a major reason that some electronic devices have problems, so the cooler processor alone (and smaller chip size) is a positive advancement alone, let alone any other areas that they've tweaked.

·
Registered
7,961 Posts
Because of the nature of how the data was collected, you can guess that the actual percentage is lower than this calculation for each console. But the proportions are probably right (Wii:pS3:360 is roughly 1:2:10).

Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. /forum/post/17045348

that and a very low IQ.

Let's be fair. The reason people stick by their 360's is because they've already made big investments in the platform (peripherals, downloads, friends list, games). That all adds up to a lot more than the cost of a new/repaired console. Of course you're going to buy a new one if it's out of warranty. This isn't about blind devotion. It's about investment.

·
Registered
250 Posts
It wouldn't be a lie though that a good many xbox owners buy it because it is an AMERICAN product, are a bit on the xenophobic side, and want to play manly, action and war oriented games because they were culturally taught to be patriotic and flaunt their masculinity, whereas they wouldn't be caught dead playing something like Flower or a Japanese-centric game like Okami. Being stuck inside the box doesn't necessary mean you have a low IQ, but it always seems that way. And ******** who game love their xbox, so says some fat guy I know. They keep it the same place they keep their guns at, right next to the TV in the living room.

In regards to the whole Game Informer survey thing. I hope no one is taking it seriously at all because

1. It's a small amount of people surveyed.

2. Most people without problems wouldn't bother sending in the survey, meaning the numbers are very skewed.

3. If the percentages were actually 10%, I think someone would have noticed by now that one in every ten PS3s were failing.

I think it is only useful for comparisons between the consoles, assuming Game Informer is an unbiased magazine and its subscribers are not excessive fanboys of one console. It would be something like for every 1 PS3 that fails, 5 Xbox 360s also die with it.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwolf0 /forum/post/17045793

It wouldn't be a lie though that a good many xbox owners buy it because it is an AMERICAN product, are a bit on the xenophobic side, and want to play manly, action and war oriented games because they were culturally taught to be patriotic and flaunt their masculinity,

Oh come on. Really? First, supporting products native to your country isn't xenophobia. Secondly Microsoft is an international company, I'm pretty sure the consoles are made in China. Even the dumbest ******* in your example can read the back of a game console. And I'd love to see your data on the "cutural teachings" of 360 vs PS3 owners.

·
Registered
1,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by confidenceman /forum/post/17045711

Let's be fair. The reason people stick by their 360's is because they've already made big investments in the platform (peripherals, downloads, friends list, games). That all adds up to a lot more than the cost of a new/repaired console. Of course you're going to buy a new one if it's out of warranty. This isn't about blind devotion. It's about investment.

You bought a Dodge SRT-4 with overpriced exhaust and an intake. It keeps

overheating. You get a replacement car. You want to go somewhere. It still

overheats so you can't use it. Your friends is in the Dodge SRT-4 car club. So

how great is your IQ if you can get a reliable Honda S2000 with a better engine

(Blu-Ray), better gas mileage (Wi-Fi), etc? It IS *blind devotion.

*Stupidity

·
Registered
1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/17045921

Oh come on. Really? First, supporting products native to your country isn't xenophobia. Secondly Microsoft is an international company, I'm pretty sure the consoles are made in China. Even the dumbest ******* in your example can read the back of a game console. And I'd love to see your data on the "cutural teachings" of 360 vs PS3 owners.

I agree John. That was a amazingly stupid comment in this stealth troll thread. Seeing how the Xbox 360 has the most popular Japanese games this gen is even more proof that some posters here are living with blinders on.

·
Registered
7,512 Posts
Buying console after console knowing they are inherently defective is the very definition of cognitive dissonance/blind devotion. Sure there are great games, online, etc, but those take precedence over the fact the console fails consistently, which is cognitive dissonance. It is like getting hit over the head with a tire iron, most with common sense wouldn't need to be hit again, unless they are blind and out of touch with the reality of the situation.

A few years back one person said it is no different than buying PC's every couple of years since they virtually become obsolete. Um, something breaking due to defects and something becoming obsolete due to tech changing is not a realistic comparison, but this is the way some think.

·
Registered
811 Posts
There are a lot of super huge problems with this survey, but not accounting for time is huge. Failure rates have to be measured against a time window. You have to measure at a consistent time like out of the box, after a specific number of hours used, or after a specific time span with regular use. The way this survey worked a machine that worked for 3+ years then broke (you probably got a good amount of value) counts the same as a machine that didn't work out of the box (no value, but still under warranty), or one that break just out of warranty (some value gained but pay for repair). Similarly if 500 usage hours is the critical point and one set of consoles is used heavily for gaming, movies, streaming, medical research and another console is used sparingly when guests are over that will cause unreliable information. Also all things being equal the console that is in release longer would be at a dissadvantage.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJonathan /forum/post/17045921

Even the dumbest ******* in your example can read the back of a game console.

Don't underestimate the stupidity of some people. Someone remind me, what's the literacy rate in America again?

There are most definitely people that buy a product for xenophobic and/or racial superiority reasons. Go have a read of the comments on comparision videos, mass fanboidom and stupity there.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughmc /forum/post/17046120

Buying console after console knowing they are inherently defective is the very definition of cognitive dissonance/blind devotion. Sure there are great games, online, etc, but those take precedence over the fact the console fails consistently, which is cognitive dissonance. It is like getting hit over the head with a tire iron, most with common sense wouldn't need to be hit again, unless they are blind and out of touch with the reality of the situation.

A few years back one person said it is no different than buying PC's every couple of years since they virtually become obsolete. Um, something breaking due to defects and something becoming obsolete due to tech changing is not a realistic comparison, but this is the way some think.

Who exactly are the people who are "buying console after console"? The Xbox 360 has a three year warranty. If your console breaks then it's free to replace it. It sucks that it happens but I don't think people are picking the machine up, throwing it away and buying more consoles due to mental illness. This is a comment for everyone not directed only at you.

Plenty of people like myself have purchased another Xbox 360 Jasper unit for the more quiet and drastically cooler operation. This isn't any different that the same guys buying PS3 slim units now for the same reasons.

This thread is shockingly insulting and ignorant. I'm disappointed to see stuff like this on AVS. The PS3 Slim has brought out the absolute worst in PS3 fanboys and I have no idea why. And don't tell me this isn't fanboy stuff because only a fanboy would claim insanity as the reason someone would choose a product other than their own obsession. AVS is better than this, or at least it should be.

·
Administrator
22,154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynn /forum/post/17046485

The PS3 Slim has brought out the absolute worst in PS3 fanboys and I have no idea why. And don't tell me this isn't fanboy stuff because only a fanboy would claim insanity as the reason someone would choose a product other than their own obsession. AVS is better than this, or at least it should be.

I assume you get the irony in complaining about name calling by doing it yourself. Let's say we all end it here.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.