AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is great news for those of us who have a PS3 with no upscaling capabilities...now the 360 and PS3 have equal functionality...with PS3 having the better of the formats!

------------------------------------

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) announced today availability of the latest version of the PLAYSTATION®3 (PS3) firmware. Version 1.80 features upscaling of PlayStation® and PlayStation 2 games, and DVD movies up to full 1080p HD resolution when viewed on a compatible HD TV set.

In a comprehensive update to PS3's already impressive capabilities, Version 1.80 also allows users to enjoy Remote Play on their PSP across the internet, allowing them to access their PS3 anywhere in the world where a broadband internet connection is available2.

Version 1.80 also allows users on a home network to seamlessly view and play rich media content such as images, music and video on their PS3, that is stored on their DLNA3 enabled devices such as PCs and laptops elsewhere in the house, reinforcing PS3's credentials as a home entertainment hub that truly deserves pride of place in the Living Room.

A host of other enhancements include the ability to print photo images stored on PS3's hard disk or inserted storage media to a selection of Epson printers.

PS3 owners will be able to upgrade their PS3 with the latest Version 1.80 firmware from 24th May 2007.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Link please.

Sorry, but I just don´t trust threads like this anymore

Is this REALLY confirmed or just something a ******** site put up to **** with us again?

·
Registered
273 Posts
Excellent. I just read it at IGN also.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Holy cow! The upscaling and network functions are a MAJOR upgrade to the PS3 capabilities.

Wonder how the connection to networked media (if it will) work?

-Alex-

·
Registered
876 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am so excited because my 480p on my TV really sucks...so having the ability to watch movies without ghosting is making me happy.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Looking forward to every feature listed there.

·
Registered
825 Posts
WHOHOOO!!!

Now I can finally watch DVD:s again

I was foolish enough to sell my upscaling Sony DVD when I got the PS3 only to discover the horrible pic quality too late.

I´m of to the pub to celebrate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
I cant wait

·
Registered
5,539 Posts
Yippie. I really did not want to buy another DVD player for upscaling. I want to use the PS3 for everything. This is great!! How will the network media stuff work with a Mac.

·
Registered
363 Posts
**** yeah!!!

No more switching from my upconverter to my PS3.

·
Registered
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Deering /forum/post/0

Now if only the PS3 was half as good as the 360 with video processing or de-interlacing for those upscaled DVDs........

Yeah, I don't quite understand the excitement over DVD up-scaling with the PS3. Its de-interlacing performance will still be atrocious.

·
Registered
5,588 Posts
I doubt I'll watch any more SDDVDs... maybe my LOTREE or Star Wars movies... but should hopefully come in handy on San Andreas and Battlestar: Galactica.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
Good news on the update. I've got a few DVD's I haven't got to yet like iRobot to try out.

As for my 360 and PS3, my PS3's DVD playback looks better than the 360's. It is also silent versus my 360 being very loud which makes it a even crappier as DVD player.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John-Alden /forum/post/0

Can't wait until to see how Beyond Good and Evil, God of War 1&2, the jak and daxter games would look upscaled.

This sounds like it might push me over the edge on picking up a PS2 title or two, at least as rentals.

1 - 20 of 208 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.