AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, Ive been trying to find a concrete solution to this for awhile and I was told that this would probably be the best place to ask so here's hoping someone can provide a little insight.

I'm really interested in buying a PS3 now that a friend is looking to unload his for a pretty reasonable price. I don't own an HDTV since I don't really do much TV watching these days so all I'm left with is my monitor.

Unfortunately my monitor while sporting a nice DVI port, doesn't support HDCP. What solutions do I have to get around this? I can't afford a HDTV or to get another monitor and this deal is time sensitive so I'm looking for the best alternative that's not absurdly expensive.

I was told that my best probably bets are either:

1) HDMI-DVI -> VGA: monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011406&p_id=4631&seq=1&format=2

2) Component -> HDMI-DVI: monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011402&p_id=4559&seq=1&format=2

However I had questions regarding this that couldn't be definitively answered:

If I got an HDFury adapter, would I be able to use an HDMI to DVI cable from the ps3 to said adapter then a VGA cable from that into my monitor?

Secondly, it says that my display must accept HD resolutions. I had to set my graphics card(8600GT) to force HD resolutions like 1280x720 because I couldn't do it just in the control pannel so does that mean my display doesn't support it?

My monitor is 19" and does 1440x900 native(so 16:10).

Sorry if these are obvious questions but I just want to be 100% sure.

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Don't bother. If your monitor is so old it doesn't support HDCP it is very likely it has a **** house internal scaler, so your even if you do get HDMI-VGA or Component-DVI working it'll look rather crap.

Sell the monitor, add the $60 you'd be spending on the HD Fury and buy one that is HDCP compatible, and preferably either native 720p or 1080p, or at the minimum has a decent scaling chip.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gooki /forum/post/16912438

Don't bother. If your monitor is so old it doesn't support HDCP it is very likely it has a **** house internal scaler, so your even if you do get HDMI-VGA or Component-DVI working it'll look rather crap.

Sell the monitor, add the $60 you'd be spending on the HD Fury and buy one that is HDCP compatible, and preferably either native 720p or 1080p, or at the minimum has a decent scaling chip.

That may be possible, but not a guarantee. My Dell 2005FPW does not do HDCP, but is a very good monitor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I dunno if it matters or not but it's a Hanns·G JW-197DPB. When I had my 360 it looked fantastic on the monitor, and this will only be temporary until the later next year so maybe it wouldn't be so bad?

·
Registered
637 Posts
If it does not support HDCP, I believe your only options are to use another input (perhaps your monitor has component, etc) or to use one o the DVI converters. However, all the ones I know of are more than a couple dollars.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I vote new screen. Save up around $300 and get you a 24 inch 1080p HDMI monitor.

LG W2453V-PF Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Full HD 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 50000:1 = $309

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16824005126

Don't waste your time trying to retrofit the old clunker. Play your PS3 in SD until you nab something such as the above. Or grab a Vizio for about $340 and get 32 inch 720p.

I have a Samsung 52a650. HD is worth it buddy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts