AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much does it cost to go online and play w/ others on the PS3 (membership fee)?


I came from Xbox live and now making the switch to Playstation3. I been hooked since my friend let me borrow his for a week.


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
565 Posts
It's free.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
I'll send you the paypal address where you need to send the PS3 membership fee






Just j/k
As mentioned, its currently free
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Damn... really free? BIG BONUS!! OK--- paypal payment sent to each of ya!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedmpulse /forum/post/12981223


Free online play-isn't it a beautiful thing?

As long as they keep it that way 4-ever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
^^^ As long as M$ charges a fee, I'd bet that Sony will continue to be free....and yes, it's a beautiful thing
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift /forum/post/12981027


How much does it cost to go online and play w/ others on the PS3 (membership fee)?


I came from Xbox live and now making the switch to Playstation3. I been hooked since my friend let me borrow his for a week.


Thanks

Your asking this and you friend didn't know the service is free?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,591 Posts
my guess is that your friend was going to offer to set up your account and just have you give him the money... sounds like a clever guy!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
Its free, but don't expect fast downloads. Demo's take forever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
135 Posts
PSN uses the same content distribution network as XBL. So download performance should be similar. PS3 files may be larger (e.g., PSN games has no limit, and firmware upgrades are bigger), so perhaps that's why you felt that it's slower.


PSN download is fast from my home and at work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Are the 360 downloads fast? I don't have both consoles so I don't know very much about the 360... The demo downloads do seem slow but it's really not an issue cause we download in the background while I playing a game anyway.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedmpulse /forum/post/12981223


Free online play-isn't it a beautiful thing?

- Not always. Free online means that not all games will have an online component. One of the most notable tragedies is Virtua Fighter 5. What a crappy decision.


1. Play the PS3 version with the Virtua Stick High Grade and have perfect control, but no online.

2. Play the Xbox3 version with crappy controls and have online competition.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsanc30 /forum/post/12981992


^^^ As long as M$ charges a fee, I'd bet that Sony will continue to be free....and yes, it's a beautiful thing

So wait, you are saying that if MS suddenly made XBL free, Sony would start charging...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue /forum/post/12984524


- Not always. Free online means that not all games will have an online component. One of the most notable tragedies is Virtua Fighter 5. What a crappy decision.


1. Play the PS3 version with the Virtua Stick High Grade and have perfect control, but no online.

2. Play the Xbox3 version with crappy controls and have online competition.

Believe it or not, Microsoft does not require games to support online
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,458 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedmpulse /forum/post/12984343


Are the 360 downloads fast? I don't have both consoles so I don't know very much about the 360... The demo downloads do seem slow but it's really not an issue cause we download in the background while I playing a game anyway.

They are fast in comparison to the PSN network. On the 360 you download and play. On the PSN you download ,install and then play the demo. You can also download in the backgrowd on the PS3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,822 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokerblue /forum/post/12984524


- Not always. Free online means that not all games will have an online component. One of the most notable tragedies is Virtua Fighter 5. What a crappy decision.


1. Play the PS3 version with the Virtua Stick High Grade and have perfect control, but no online.

2. Play the Xbox3 version with crappy controls and have online competition.

Doesn't bother me, i'd rather they concentrate on making solid single player games than tacking on multiplayer just for the hell of it to fit in with the other guys.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,980 Posts
I I've had very slow and very fast downloads on both the PS3 and 360. I can't say one is faster than the other to get a demo up and running.


One thing I love about the PSN is playing on dedicated servers. Once you've had a taste it will be hard to go back to laggy play. I wish every game on both systems used dedicated servers.
 
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Top