AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Something strange happened tonight. My PS3 suddenly started freezing when I try to stream videos from my network storage device, when it never did before. It was working fine on Friday night, which is the last day I used it to stream. I didn't use it Saturday at all. I popped in Uncharted 2 today for the first time, and it updated the game to 1.06, but I didn't play it at all. I also placed a single new m2ts file in my network storage center today.

I am using the 250 GB slim model of the PS3. It is about 3 weeks old. It has firmware 3.15 and a wired connection to the network.

I am also using the D-Link DNS 323 network storage device. It is using firmware 3.08, and has two 1TB Seagate Serial ATA discs in it running striped RAID. It too is wired into the network.

The Xbox 360 still streams without any issues. I have streamed m2ts files before on the PS3 and not had any issues. The only video files that will still stream successfully without the PS3 locking up are the videos in the topmost folder level on the network storage drive. Any video files in a level deeper than the top level NOW cause the PS3 to freeze, when they never did before.

Someone please help! I've changed nothing in my network configuration. I've deleted the one new m2ts file I added before the PS3 started freezing. I also deleted the Uncharted 2 title update 1.06. Nothing seems to help. The PS3 can still stream from my laptop without freezing, even if the files are buried deep in folders. I'm at the end of my wits. Please help!

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
It would seem that it's not a ps3 issue if you're still able to steam from your laptop. When you say freeze, do you mean the ps3 locks up and you reset, or does the stream just freeze and you quit out of the video playback?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJumpMan /forum/post/18312226

Hi guys,

Something strange happened tonight. My PS3 suddenly started freezing when I try to stream videos from my network storage device, when it never did before. It was working fine on Friday night, which is the last day I used it to stream. I didn't use it Saturday at all. I popped in Uncharted 2 today for the first time, and it updated the game to 1.06, but I didn't play it at all. I also placed a single new m2ts file in my network storage center today.

I am using the 250 GB slim model of the PS3. It is about 3 weeks old. It has firmware 3.15 and a wired connection to the network.

I am also using the D-Link DNS 323 network storage device. It is using firmware 3.08, and has two 1TB Seagate Serial ATA discs in it running striped RAID. It too is wired into the network.

The Xbox 360 still streams without any issues. I have streamed m2ts files before on the PS3 and not had any issues. The only video files that will still stream successfully without the PS3 locking up are the videos in the topmost folder level on the network storage drive. Any video files in a level deeper than the top level NOW cause the PS3 to freeze, when they never did before.

Someone please help! I've changed nothing in my network configuration. I've deleted the one new m2ts file I added before the PS3 started freezing. I also deleted the Uncharted 2 title update 1.06. Nothing seems to help. The PS3 can still stream from my laptop without freezing, even if the files are buried deep in folders. I'm at the end of my wits. Please help!

Are you using the built in uPNP server on the Dlink? Do a google search to see you're NOT the only one with streaming issues...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...ec2db39eb50b9d

This guy got it to work by using PS3mediaserver:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=10631.0

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The PS3 FREEZES and LOCKS UP, then I have to press the power button just once to shut it down (no yellow overheating lights or anything like that; no holding down the power button or unplugging it). When it reboots, it displays a message that says that the PS3 crashed, and sends an error report to Sony.

Also, I meant that I can stream FROM my laptop to my PS3 without any issue, using the built in Windows Media Server. The Xbox 360 can still stream just fine as well, both via the laptop and the DNS 323. In fact, last night I figured out that the PS3 ONLY freezes if I try to play a file from the "Folder Browse" option in the Media Bar. If I use the "Show All Videos" option, all my video files show up, and then can be streamed WITHOUT the PS3 locking up (which would be the temporary solution to this issue). I've never had any issues with my DNS 323 before this, and I've pretty much ruled out the possibility that this is its fault since everything else on the network works just fine, and the PS3 did too until last night.

The only other thing I can think of that changed over the weekend while I didn't use the PS3, or change anything in any of my configurations, was that the time skipped forward an hour due to Daylight Savings. I noticed the PS3 did not compensate automatically, and I have not changed its internal clock as of yet on my own. We all heard how the PS3 fats freaked out a couple of weeks ago with the Leap Year issue. Maybe this is something similar to that?

Or maybe something in the PS3 cache got corrupted, messing up my ability to stream video from my folders when I browse them. Is there a way to clear out all temporary memory in the PS3 like the Xbox 360?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJumpMan /forum/post/18314101

I've never had any issues with my DNS 323 before this, and I've pretty much ruled out the possibility that this is its fault since everything else on the network works just fine, and the PS3 did too until last night.

Well, you've already said that the streaming to the PS3 works when you use your laptop and it works from your NAS when you choose "Show All Files" so don't get too worked up when I say it boggles me how you're completely absolving the NAS of any part of this problem.

Here's a changelog on your NAS's 1.08 firmware:
http://www.yinfor.com/blog/archives/...8_release.html

Note the uPNP changes.

There's a web browser cache but I dont think any of the streaming data is stored on the PS3. I guess you could try a reformat.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't mean to absolve the NAS from any problems at all, but literally nothing changed between Saturday and Sunday except for Daylight Savings occurring (no software or firmware updates on my part, no new devices introduced to the network). The strange thing is that the Xbox 360 can stream the same files via the "browse by folder" option without an issue, which makes it seem like the PS3 is the culprit here. I can't for the life of me figure out what happened to cause this sudden change in behavior. I've been reading some other forums online, and it seems other people are finding that their Slims are freezing unexpectedly as well. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,

So I searched and searched today, and figured out how to fix the problem. The database on the PS3 had become corrupt, which was causing the system to freeze when attempting to stream video. The way to fix this is to do the following (at least on the PS3 Slim):

1. Turn off Playstation 3.

2. Press and hold down the power button until the you hear 3 separate beeps from the system. After the third beep, the system will shut itself off.

3. Once the system has been shutdown, press and hold the power button again. You will hear a single beep, then two beeps in quick succession.

4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off of power button.

5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button

6. The Recovery Menu will pop up.

7. Choose "Rebuild Database" to rebuild the PS3's database.

This fixed the issue for me. I hope this helps people in the future who may have similar problems.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJumpMan /forum/post/18317008

Hi all,

So I searched and searched today, and figured out how to fix the problem. The database on the PS3 had become corrupt, which was causing the system to freeze when attempting to stream video. The way to fix this is to do the following (at least on the PS3 Slim):

1. Turn off Playstation 3.

2. Press and hold down the power button until the you hear 3 separate beeps from the system. After the third beep, the system will shut itself off.

3. Once the system has been shutdown, press and hold the power button again. You will hear a single beep, then two beeps in quick succession.

4. When you hear the 2 beeps take finger off of power button.

5. You will be promted to plug in your controller via usb and then hit the PS button

6. The Recovery Menu will pop up.

7. Choose "Rebuild Database" to rebuild the PS3's database.

This fixed the issue for me. I hope this helps people in the future who may have similar problems.

I just noticed my 80 GB phat PS3 (a little over a year old, not the original 80 GB) started locking up when streaming...over the last couple days. I rebooted my PC, my router, my PS3, swapped cables, etc...nothing helped. I thought the PS3 might be overheating over something. Maybe it is a bug. Thanks bro, will try that out!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A /forum/post/18317485

Hard reset should do the trick

This would be a last resort I think since it will wipe your hard drives as well as resetting your system to its defaults. Try the "Rebuild System File" and "Rebuild Database" options first. If they don't work, go for the hard reset.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the PS3 is back to freezing again. I reinstalled the Uncharted 2 title update, and now I'm receiving the same behavior as before. This time however, rebuilding the Database doesn't seem to fix it (either after installing it a second time, or deleting it for the second time). What is going on here?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am having the same issue since yesterday (Mar 17). I also have a DNS-323. Nothing changed on the PS3 or DNS-323 except that I loaded GoW3. I have tried the database rebuild to no avail.

I suspect it is something specific to the DNS-323 with the PS3 though as the DNS-323 has no problems with streaming to my n900 via uPnP and the PS3 does not appear to have problems from MythTV's uPnP server (although all of the videos are near the root level so it may be something about that). I noticed that videos one folder down from the root level seem to play fine still.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Something about the PS3 and the DNS-323 isn't working properly, but I'm not sure which devices fault it is. I installed TwonkyMedia Server on my DNS-323 and so far it is working great! It is much faster in all regards as far as I can tell. Search google for TwonkyMedai DNS 323 and you'll see info on how to get it and install it (it's slightly involved). It's at least a great temporary (possible permanent) solution for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/18313420

Are you using the built in uPNP server on the Dlink? Do a google search to see you're NOT the only one with streaming issues...
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=...ec2db39eb50b9d

This guy got it to work by using PS3mediaserver:
http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=10631.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJumpMan /forum/post/18315547

I don't mean to absolve the NAS from any problems at all, but literally nothing changed between Saturday and Sunday except for Daylight Savings occurring (no software or firmware updates on my part, no new devices introduced to the network). The strange thing is that the Xbox 360 can stream the same files via the "browse by folder" option without an issue, which makes it seem like the PS3 is the culprit here. I can't for the life of me figure out what happened to cause this sudden change in behavior. I've been reading some other forums online, and it seems other people are finding that their Slims are freezing unexpectedly as well. Any thoughts?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJumpMan /forum/post/18339433

Something about the PS3 and the DNS-323 isn't working properly, but I'm not sure which devices fault it is. I installed TwonkyMedia Server on my DNS-323 and so far it is working great! It is much faster in all regards as far as I can tell. Search google for TwonkyMedai DNS 323 and you'll see info on how to get it and install it (it's slightly involved). It's at least a great temporary (possible permanent) solution for me. Good luck.

Try PS3mediaServer...it's free, it's fast, and it's lighter than Twonky.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/18339603

Try PS3mediaServer...it's free, it's fast, and it's lighter than Twonky.

But it doesn't run on the DNS-323 - it requires a computer to be left on. Part of the reason I bought the DNS-323 was so I could have the media available without a computer being left on all the time.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
what are the negatives to rebuilding the database? will i lose anything on the ps3, like game saves or title updates? i want to try this because i can't stream video without stuttering or getting dns error 2104.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had this same exact issue after installing GoW III

Files more than 1 folder down will freeze the PS3. No clue how to fix this (other then flattening the folder tree).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts