AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, thanks in advance.

I had another thread on here regarding some audio issues that were solved.

My question is this:

The default HDMI settings on the playstation are Linear PCM 2 CH at 44 and 48 khz. (the 2 boxes that you can not uncheck)

If I am just using those two above, what exactly am I missing?

I have a Yamaha YSP 1100 that does DTS, Digital, etc. but not sure I understand how all this comes together?

For instance, on the PS3, if I dont have the Dolby 5.1 checked under audiosettings>>HDMI>>Manual does that mean I have no surround?

Thanks for any help again.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Yeeah... if none of the 5.1 options are selected then all your getting is stereo from the ps3, however your yamaha should be able to covert that to surround w/ pro logic and the like.

I find it odd that a hdmi equipped receiver wouldn't be able to do all the Dolby/DTS 5.1 audio settings at the very least.

·
Registered
231 Posts
have it check everything to get all the audio you want

By having things uncheckedthat means that the PS3 will not output those signals, it will convert them to 2-channel PCM and output in that format. If your soundbar can decode those formats, it would be in your best interest to check off as many as possible. ie, you will not get a bitstream of dolby digital/DTS to your processor to decode and make surround sound out of, you will only get the stereo downmix.

You won't be able to get any of the simulated suround thath your soundbar can create because the proper input signals are absent for it.

Check off everything or have the PS3 auto-detect.

output bitstream or PCM, but you'll get your proper codecs for all movies/games. note that if you have a fat PS3 you can't output TrueHD or Master Audio bitstream over HDMI, only PCM.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the weird thing is if I check say DD and D5.1 (the first 2 options).. the games sound fine but the dvd's dont play voices just background noise ...

I guess I will just leave the default 2 checked and let the yamaha sort it all out..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts