AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone please help before I go nuts.

My playstation works fine for gaming, etc.

But when I play a DVD it the only audio I hear is background noises..

Example. If someone is walking and talking, I only hear the footsteps..??

I have HDMI checked in the audio setup and all the options checked..

Am I missing something ..

My setup --- Playstation HDMI>>>>Plasma Digital AUdio out>>>Yamaha ysp 100

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfront71 /forum/post/18233972

Can someone please help before I go nuts.

My playstation works fine for gaming, etc.

But when I play a DVD it the only audio I hear is background noises..

Example. If someone is walking and talking, I only hear the footsteps..??

I have HDMI checked in the audio setup and all the options checked..

Am I missing something ..

My setup --- Playstation HDMI>>>>Plasma Digital AUdio out>>>Yamaha ysp 100

Thanks.

I dont get it? I think your setup is all wrong. Maybe I'm not reading it right. Not all TV sets can/will pass through compress digital audio correctly. Why dont you try:

PS3/HDMI -> Plasma

PS3/Digital/Optical -> Yamaha ysp

Then set your PS3 to output all audio via the optical link. Can you see if that works or at least works better?

That's my only suggestion for now.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well I unhooked the yamaha ysp and just ran the playstation to the tv via hdmi..

same thing....

Here is the other weird thing .. on some DVD's it plays fine, on others I am still missing the main volume of the people speaking and jsut get background noise...

·
Registered
245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorona76 /forum/post/18234218

I dont get it? I think your setup is all wrong. Maybe I'm not reading it right. Not all TV sets can/will pass through compress digital audio correctly. Why dont you try:

PS3/HDMI -> Plasma

PS3/Digital/Optical -> Yamaha ysp

Then set your PS3 to output all audio via the optical link. Can you see if that works or at least works better?

That's my only suggestion for now.

X2 - you will not get a 5.1 signal out of the optical on your tv unless you are using the tuner to watch ota programming.

Use the hdmi to get video to your tv and an optical connection from your ps3 to the sound bar to get the full 5.1 soundtrack from dvd's. If you use your tv for ota, connect another optical cord from the tv to the sound bar.

Make sure your ps3 is set to use the optical out for audio.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfront71 /forum/post/18234319

well I unhooked the yamaha ysp and just ran the playstation to the tv via hdmi..

same thing....

Here is the other weird thing .. on some DVD's it plays fine, on others I am still missing the main volume of the people speaking and jsut get background noise...

If you hook it up the way I detailed AND set your DVD Audio out options to bit stream you should be good.

First, hook the system up like I said and then go here to set the audio to play over the Optical Digital

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...diooutput.html

DO NOT SELECT ALL OUTPUT FORMATS. If your sound bar CANNOT process AAC it will not play properly. Using Optical Digital you should ONLY select Dolby Digital & DTS (the first two options)...thats it. There will be a few options selected by default but those are fine so dont try to change those. Optical Digital can only pass 2 channel PCM @ 48khz (or the compressed 5.1 DD & 5.1 DTS) and if the DVD tries to send any of the other formats through it will not be right if it even works at all.

then change the audio output type for DVD/BD playback...which of all places is under VIDEO settings:

http://manuals.playstation.net/docum...dsettings.html

BD / DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)

BD Audio Output Format (Optical Digital)

These are the two you want and will need to worry about. You can change them both to bitstream since the PS3 will only really care about the setting for the actual connection you are using whether it be the HDMI or Optical Digital audio.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
DO NOT SELECT ALL OUTPUT FORMATS. If your sound bar CANNOT process AAC it will not play properly. Using Optical Digital you should ONLY select Dolby Digital & DTS (the first two options)...thats it. There will be a few options selected by default but those are fine so dont try to change those. Optical Digital can only pass 2 channel PCM @ 48khz (or the compressed 5.1 DD & 5.1 DTS) and if the DVD tries to send any of the other formats through it will not be right if it even works at all.

Problem solved indirectly ... here's what happened for the record.

I only have one HDMI cable running from closet to TV which limits me on cables so everything is on a monoprice switch and has to be HDMI as there are no other cables in the wall ..

Having read the above, I left my setup the same and just selected the first 2 options on the audio setup in the hdmi manual menu (5.1dd and dts)..

Everything works fine now.

Appreciate the help .. sounds like a rookie mistake but the ****ing owners manuals on things now a days are 200 pages which drives me nuts...

·
Registered
1,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachfront71 /forum/post/18234902

problem solved indirectly ... Here's what happened for the record.

I only have one hdmi cable running from closet to tv which limits me on cables so everything is on a monoprice switch and has to be hdmi as there are no other cables in the wall ..

Having read the above, i left my setup the same and just selected the first 2 options on the audio setup in the hdmi manual menu (5.1dd and dts)..

Everything works fine now.

Appreciate the help .. Sounds like a rookie mistake but the ****ing owners manuals on things now a days are 200 pages which drives me nuts...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts