AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've owned my 60 gig PS3 for about 3 weeks. It was purchased brand new. The system is very impressive. Though I don't yet own any games I have been enjoying blu-ray movies and have downloaded practically everything

on the Playstation store.


I have a cosmetic issue that is bothering me. Recently I noticed that a couple of the characters on the "Playstation" lettering (top of the console) are starting to peel off. It was severe enough that one of the letters was snagged completely off by a dust cloth. I was able to carefully glue it back using a toothpick and cotton swab. I used non cyanoacrylate based glue to protect the casing.


This is not a huge deal but is certainly not the build quality I expected out of a $600 console. It is likely due to inadequate double sided adhesive used on the thin metal letters coupled with heat cycling. Note that my system is adequately

ventilated (more than 6" all sides), never gets excessively hot and fan noise is minimal, quieter than my XBox 360.


Anyone else experiencing this? If so any ideas on how to minimize it going forward? Returning the system is an option, but not worth the trouble yet since it is not widespread.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts
Which letters?


Maybe Spiderman stopped by to get his font back?




Seriously though, what's the big deal? If it works, who cares? Do you play games with it, or stare at it?


?


I guess you could call in a warranty issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
572 Posts
I'd prefer the 'debadged' look anyways...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,077 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael198 /forum/post/0


Seriously though, what's the big deal? If it works, who cares? Do you play games with it, or stare at it?


are you serious? if that happened to me i'd FLIP OUT. this is the avsforum here. we take great care and pride in our a/v possessions. my electronics equipment is the only part of the house that is dusted religiously. i remember i once exchanged a denon dvd changer because the "denon" logo wasn't level...


hopefully this is an isolated issue and not an indication of things to come...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oi-punx /forum/post/0


I've owned my 60 gig PS3 for about 3 weeks. It was purchased brand new. The system is very impressive. Though I don't yet own any games I have been enjoying blu-ray movies and have downloaded practically everything

on the Playstation store.


I have a cosmetic issue that is bothering me. Recently I noticed that a couple of the characters on the "Playstation" lettering (top of the console) are starting to peel off. It was severe enough that one of the letters was snagged completely off by a dust cloth. I was able to carefully glue it back using a toothpick and cotton swab. I used non cyanoacrylate based glue to protect the casing.


This is not a huge deal but is certainly not the build quality I expected out of a $600 console. It is likely due to inadequate double sided adhesive used on the thin metal letters coupled with heat cycling. Note that my system is adequately

ventilated (more than 6" all sides), never gets excessively hot and fan noise is minimal, quieter than my XBox 360.


Anyone else experiencing this? If so any ideas on how to minimize it going forward? Returning the system is an option, but not worth the trouble yet since it is not widespread.

I think build quality of PS3 is pretty impressive, peeling letters is really an cosmetic issue. Dont have problems with mine, I can understand it being annoying though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Quote:
are you serious? if that happened to me i'd FLIP OUT. this is the avsforum here. we take great care and pride in our a/v possessions. my electronics equipment is the only part of the house that is dusted religiously.

Same here.

Quote:
I think build quality of PS3 is pretty impressive, peeling letters is really an cosmetic issue. Dont have problems with mine, I can understand it being annoying though.

I was very impressed with the build quality of the PS3 out of the box. It is nice and sturdy and beautifully finished, albeit very hard to keep clean. The peeling letters annoyance was totally unexpected due to the fact that the rest of the system is so solid.


Although peeling letters is a purely cosmetic issue, I do find it ridiculous that it is happening on something so new and expensive. Hopefully the letters on the rest of the logo stay intact. If not I will likely return it as I shouldn't have to fix what shouldn't be broken to begin with.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,541 Posts
Use Swiffer Duster duh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14,547 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorrorScope /forum/post/0


When you call them remember you only use Sony authorized cables and accessories.

and Sony polish and dusting cloth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
810 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Krypton /forum/post/0


stop picking at them.

thats why I never ever clean mine


:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
522 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
Don't you mean the Spiderman Movie Font stickers?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Quote:
I read about this one other time... So I know you're not alone on this. This has happened to at least one other person.


No one believed this first time poster at the Sony PS3 Forums


(Unless that was you. )

That wasn't me, but thanks for posting that. For those that are not aware the metallic lettering is not engraved, rather it is adhered to the casing with a thin double sided adhesive. With this taken into consideration it is understandable that the problem could occur with some units, still irritating with such a new and advanced piece of electronics. Thankfully there are no visible indications of my "handywork".


One note on the glue that I used to re-adhere the lettering...it appears to be holding fine after 24 hours, but it hasn't been fully heat cycled yet. I don't anticipate that the affected letters will be compromised again.


Careful when dusting the top of your PS3's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,803 Posts
Did the letter "L" fall off? If so the true name is revealed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
188 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbain /forum/post/0


are you serious? if that happened to me i'd FLIP OUT. this is the avsforum here. we take great care and pride in our a/v possessions.

I'm dead serious.


I'm a gamer, not a glamour puss.


If I'd spent 50 hours standing in front of a store to get a PS3, I'd want to spend as many hours as I could using the damn thing, not staring at the pretty Spiderman font on the top.


I once played Zelda on a half taken apart NES because that was the only way I could get it to work. I wanted to play the game, not stare at the startling and pretty grey plastic case.


Does that mean I don't take great 'care and pride' in my a/v equipment? Nope, I clean and dust and change filters etc etc as often as need be.


But I'd be hard pressed to be without a system for 5-7 days because a letter fell off the top.


You're right, this is the AV SCIENCE forum, not the AV BLING forum.


Good lord, use the damn thing for playing games. Is no one with me on this?


.....

.....


....


Oh wait, that's right, there are how many good games for Sony's gaming machine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,832 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrsg /forum/post/0


Did the letter "L" fall off? If so the true name is revealed.

ahhahaaa
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael198 /forum/post/0


Oh wait, that's right, there are how many good games for Sony's gaming machine?

I completely did not expect you to say that. You threw us all a curveball there. You get an "A" for originality.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,843 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael198 /forum/post/0


Oh wait, that's right, there are how many good games for Sony's gaming machine?

More than there was for the 360 when it came out!



Honestly, do the mods even know this forum exists?

I see more trolling crap here than almost any other forum!

You'd think the mods could keep the 360 fanboys that figgured out they bought the wrong console in there own forum instead of hijacking threads in the PS forum!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,537 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael198 /forum/post/0


Which letters?


Seriously though, what's the big deal? If it works, who cares? Do you play games with it, or stare at it?


Yeah.. Frankly I don't know why Sony didn't just put it in a wooden box. It's for playing, not looking at!


Come on. You should know that high end electronics are part of today's art-deco lifestyle. They're not just for playing, they're for looking at too. Imacs, silver stereo gear, black polished TV bezels, and cute colored computers should tell you that.
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top