AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to know if any owners of the VR Headgear for PS4 had experienced some sort of motion sickness, dizzyness, headaches or similar from the first games released? I myself have spent a lot of money on this system, but I'm not able to play the games at all, because it upsets my stomach so much I'll feel the need to throw up. Afterwards I'm dizzy for 2-3 hours. The game that has had most effect was Super Stardust Ultra (Open world mode). If anybody has some good info on how to overcome this problem (without selling or putting the system away of course), I sure would like to hear from you. Thankks in advance for all input on this topic.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Haven't tried the PlayStation VR, but as Vive owner I've a game or two give me some vertigo from playing due to their scope and how I was moving.. it was nothing to bad so that is good.

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with your VR experience. If possible you may want to try the rift or Vive and see if they do the same thing to you and if so maybe VR is just not right for you since it can effect us differently.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
If every single game you're playing is giving you these symptoms, then a VR headset is probably not a good idea for you.

I have felt motion sickness a few times, and yes, it can linger for hours. For me though, it's a rare experience. The first time I played Driveclub VR on the PSVR demo disk, I got really sick. I actually didn't feel bad while playing it, but afterwards had a harsh headache that probably lasted for like 3 or 4 hours before finally fading away. I've gotten some motion sickness a couple of other times, but it's actually super rare for me. Most of the time I can play these VR games with zero after effects.

If everything you play is doing this to you, either your IPD is set very, very wrong, or VR just doesn't work for you. Can you read a book while in the back of a moving car ? Maybe you're the type that is easily motion sick.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I just wanted to know if any owners of the VR Headgear for PS4 had experienced some sort of motion sickness, dizzyness, headaches or similar from the first games released?
Games that have acceleration are the ones most likely to give you trouble. For me, "Scavenger's Odyssey" on the PS VR Worlds disc has been the most nauseating due to all the turning and jumping. On the flip side, stationary games like Tumble VR have been completely nausea-free. Regardless of the amount of motion I'll sometimes feel a bit light-headed after a longer session, but nothing too intense.

Make sure you have the headset properly centered, getting as much of the blur out of the image as possible. Also make sure the visor sits level with your eyes so you don't have a roll offset, which could exacerbate any problems.

I've heard that others with consistent problems have tried motion sickness medicine like Dramamine prior to playing with some success.

Good luck!

- Jer

·
Registered
279 Posts
Take some Benadryl before you play. Many people not used to boats have to take this because of all of the rocking motions. When you are on a 150ft. boat out in the Gulf for 2 weeks and you step on land, you will have the same problem. You get used to the rocking motion but when you walk on land you get motion sickness. Guess we are going to have get our VR legs instead of sea legs....

Reactions: kjr39

·
Registered
333 Posts
also you have to get your vr legs. takes a while to get use to it. i got dizzy easy at first now really dont

·
Registered
472 Posts
Scavenger's Odyssey definitely was a problem for me - I had to quit it after about thirty minutes, which was a shame, because there's a lot that's really great about it.

I also had problems with Blood Ties, the Tomb Raider expansion. That one gives you a choice of movement and rotation types - instantly teleporting to a spot vs. continuous moving, and rotating at fixed increments ("pie rotation") vs. smoothly turning. Initially I found continuous motion and smooth turning to be extremely nausea-inducing. Which surprised me, since, you know, that's how I move in the real world. But when your eyes see you moving but your inner ear says "nope, I'm not moving", you get nausea. Eventually I was able to work up to continuous motion with pie rotation - I think there's something to the idea that you can get acclimatized, since Blood Ties was one of the first VR things I played.

The general rules for avoiding motion sickness are:

1) Teleport rather than move/walk
2) If you're going to move, do it in a cockpit/car; seeing something non-moving around you helps (Rush Of Blood, where you're on a rollercoaster, can be surprisingly non-nausea-inducing)
3) Rotate by increments, rather than smoothly turning.

Some games that should or may be reasonably safe: Allumette, Batman: Arkham VR, Headmaster, Job Simulator, Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, Tumble VR, Wayward Sky.

It is, unfortunately, possible that you simply won't be able to do VR at all without nausea. There are people who can't play anything in first person in 2D, too.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Take some Benadryl before you play. Many people not used to boats have to take this because of all of the rocking motions. When you are on a 150ft. boat out in the Gulf for 2 weeks and you step on land, you will have the same problem. You get used to the rocking motion but when you walk on land you get motion sickness. Guess we are going to have get our VR legs instead of sea legs....
Benadryl or Dramamine? Better make sure it's an exciting game if you take Benadryl, cuz its active ingredient is also a sleep-aid. :)

Reactions: dmillionz

·
Registered
6 Posts
It depends on the game, really. I have had VR since launch and the games that get to me are the ones that have a shifting horizon. Batman, for example, was absolutely no issue.

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
1,957 Posts
I too get nauseous playing some games. Valkyrie for one. Some games I am fine. If movement is full 360 like space, I would stay away. I spent about 18 years total at Sea and only once in my carrier did I ever get sea sick. That was a large Typhon in a Tin can. So something else is going on. The feeling of motion sickness has ruined the VR experience for me. I have a brand new set with all the bells and whistles and don't use it. I should just sell it and move on. I think they have a long way to go to make this work for most people. I have heard many complaints about motion sickness from the VR experience.

Sucks too cause I sunk alot of money into this VR stuff. Including about 10 games. Some still reside in their sealed packages never to have seen the light of day. So your not alone. If it makes you sick. Sell it now while it has value.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to know if any owners of the VR Headgear for PS4 had experienced some sort of motion sickness, dizzyness, headaches or similar from the first games released? I myself have spent a lot of money on this system, but I'm not able to play the games at all, because it upsets my stomach so much I'll feel the need to throw up. Afterwards I'm dizzy for 2-3 hours. The game that has had most effect was Super Stardust Ultra (Open world mode). If anybody has some good info on how to overcome this problem (without selling or putting the system away of course), I sure would like to hear from you. Thankks in advance for all input on this topic.
I'd suggest starting with something simple and that doesn't have a lot of on-screen movement. The demo to Tumble VR would be a good choice as the game is just about manipulating objects in a virtual 3D space. The backgrounds are very static and your perspective doesn't really change. If you can tolerate that, then you might want to try something a little more interactive but that still largely keeps you in one place like Batman: Arkham VR or Ocean Descent (the latter is available on the demo disc and the VR Worlds disc).

As others have said, you do need to get your VR legs and for most people the more they use it the more they can tolerate it. I've also read that people have had good results with Dramamine or even ginger ale (which has always been a good remedy for a queasy stomach).

If after all that something as simple as Tumble still makes you feel ill then unfortunately VR just may not be for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
From a brains perspective

Thanks to all for good tips and opinions about the PSVR and it's side effects. I'm sure a lot of you which has been testing VR or similar systems, agrees that this takes gaming to another experience level. I've been involved in gaming since 1983, when I started out with a C64, and I can't think of any device or concept along this timeline, which has enhanced gaming the way VR has done. This does for gaming, what the print press did for books. Therefor I find it almost disturbing, when people starts talking about taking pills to able to get through some minutes of play.

You're right of course, that if something is causing illness one ought to leave it alone, no matter how intriguing the experience might be. And yes, there's different intolerence levels for people.
But lets be honest about this issue. When some people feel instant nausea, it should be a warning sign for all folks, as nobody knows the longterm effect of such a radical change of perception or if it has potential for a permanent damage to brain tissue. I never get motion sickness, not even sitting backwards in a car reading books or in a small airplane without a pressure cabin. Yet this feeling I got from VR is extremly unpleasant and very strong.

In 1995 when Playstation was revolutionizing the gaming market, there was a radical change for the game releases that I hadn't noticed before. They came with a printed warning about epileptic conditions that could be triggered when playing for long periods of time. Most people don't reflect much on these statements, until something does happen, and then it might be too late to react.
I've got a friend of mine which has epilepsy. He's life is very confined and restricted in many ways, as certain operations which ordinary people may take for granted, like driving, walking ladders etc., is not an option anymore. These things happen you know, and there's always a first time when they occur, like an event horizon, which in many cases can't be reversed.

In the end we must all ask ourself a very important question: Is it worth taking a chance with our physical lives, just for instances of emotional bliss?
I wish you all love, happiness and a troublefree gaming experience!

Best wishes
Allan

·
Registered
11 Posts
hi, the one that made me get dizzy was StarBlood Arena........the Mechs that you are in are incredible. Just wish it wasn't a fast paced game..

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
I too get nauseous playing some games. Valkyrie for one. Some games I am fine. If movement is full 360 like space, I would stay away. I spent about 18 years total at Sea and only once in my carrier did I ever get sea sick. That was a large Typhon in a Tin can. So something else is going on. The feeling of motion sickness has ruined the VR experience for me. I have a brand new set with all the bells and whistles and don't use it. I should just sell it and move on. I think they have a long way to go to make this work for most people. I have heard many complaints about motion sickness from the VR experience.

Sucks too cause I sunk alot of money into this VR stuff. Including about 10 games. Some still reside in their sealed packages never to have seen the light of day. So your not alone. If it makes you sick. Sell it now while it has value.
For me, Valkyrie was the most vertigo inducing game...by far. For those with any motion/dizziness issues, stay clear of this game.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Don't get sea sick and never had motion sickness. That was until I played Scavengers Odyssey. The jumping and then rotating did it for me. It got so bad I started closing my eyes on those rotating jumps so I wouldn't chuck.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
For me, Valkyrie was the most vertigo inducing game...by far. For those with any motion/dizziness issues, stay clear of this game.
I wish I could try this one out the PSVR or one of my friends has a PSVR to let me borrow. I have this game on the Vive and didn't have any motion/dizziness issues with it. It would be interesting to see if was a difference in the headsets or just a person to person experience.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Update, so far Scavengers Odyssey is by far the worst. Just tried Farpoint and I hated the 180 turns so bad I had to turn them off. That left me with using the "smooth" setting. That made me dizzy so I had to learn to make "micro" movements using the stick or it started to make me sick. Eventually, it subsided for me but man it was tough.

I have not played Valkyrie yet but I will try it tonight. It's just weird. I never get motion sickness on rides or sailing. They seriously need to make refresh rates and frame rates a much higher priority with the next generation units.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts