Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Does anyone out there have their PS2 hooked up to Mitsubishi Widescreen? I've got a Mits 55805, and I bought Monster component cables thinking I could go widescreen (16:9) with it. I'm pretty sure the only two inputs on my TV that will support widescreen are the component DVD in, and the HDTV interface. I presumed that I could just plug the component out of the PS2 unit into the Component DVD in on my TV and when I selected 16:9 on the PS2 Configuration Menu, I'd see it expand to fill the screen. It doesn't. It stayed in 4:3 no matter what settings I used on the unit, in the game, in the DVD settings on the unit... I tried SSX (a game I know supports 16:9), I even tried running a DVD that I know is anamorphic widescreen to no avail. I called Sony tech support they summarily dismissed it as a hardware problem and want me to send my unit in for repair. I find it odd that everything else on the unit works just fine, but it won't go wide, so I'm still suspicious that it might just be a quirk of the way that the PS2 and the TV interact. I'm not keen on being without it for up to 20 working days, and then find that it wasn't a defective PS2.

I also tried plugging it into my HDTV interface (which normally accepts 5 cables instead of 3 -- Y, Pb, Pr, H & V) matching Y to Y, Cb to Pb, Cr to Pr, and I got the infamous 'green' screen for DVDs AND for the games... still no widescreen though... Plus the Sony site says the component out won't work on a 'hi-vision' interface, in any event. They ain't lyin about that.

Does anyone out there have any thoughts on this? I'm stumped. If anyone has some direct experience or suggestions that they're willing to share, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
730 Posts
There are 2 places that you need to change the settings to 16:9 with the PS2. First their is the main configuration menu before you enter the browser. Second, there is a "setup" menu when viewing DVDs. The trick is that you need to hit "O" (circle) twice to stop the DVD before it will allow you to set the video mode to 16:9. The DVD can't be playing or it won't let you switch to 16:9. It took me hours to figure that one out. The manual wasn't very helpful. See if that works.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I've tried both to no avail. I stumbled upon the 'bug' in the way that the DVD setting works, and I've also changed the setting in the System Configuration menu. Also, i've made sure the game (SSX in this case) has Widescreen turned on... nothing. Argh, this is frustrating.

Does anyone know if there is a particular signal that indicates that it should switch to widescreen? I can still expand, zoom, etc when the games are coming in through the components, but when my DVD player is hooked up to the component port, I can't do that, it's fixed at widescreen.

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
782 Posts
Chris,

Set your monitor to whichever setting you use for anamorphic DVD's (full, stretch, etc.). You'll notice when you set the SSX video options to 16:9 that the image looks horizontally compressed when viewed on a 4:3 window; therefore, you need to set your TV to full.

You can't zoom the image with progressive signals on the Mits. But that doesn't matter b/c the playstation's component output is interlace, so the Mits. alows you to zoom them. This has nothing to do with whether the image sent by the playstation is formatted for 16:9.

Hope this helps,

Sean

[This message has been edited by Sean_S (edited 04-10-2001).]

·
Registered
75 Posts
Have my PS2 hooked up to my Elite 510 and have played SSX in full 16x9 glory. What an amazing setup. The game drops frames during intense action but other than that, its a good setup. No, its not HD, its not 480p. But it still looks good. Add to that digital sound pumped through my Lexicon and it makes for a really wicked cool gaming ENV. Although I must say that I'm closely watching the Xbox HD details...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
argh... OK, I'm beginning to think maybe tech support was right and there is a problem here, but still... it's troublesome to thing that *everything* else is working properly except that it won't show widescreen...

thanks for the input folks.

--Chris

·
Registered
275 Posts
kuj007:

I'm not familiar with ps2, but I'm interested since I have a 3 1/2 years old.

If the ps2 component cable signal IS NOT 1080i, then you can play with the formats in the tv itself, change it to strech or zoom.

Hope this helps.

By the way, how is the picture quality of the games?

Carlos

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Carlos... from what I can tell you can't take it in through the HDTV interface at all, so it's going to come in at 480i (or 520i?) I think through the DVD component interface. What is odd to me is that when I run my progressive scan DVD player through that interface, I *can't* change the display settings (zoom, expand, etc.), but when I run the PS2 through there, I can. So it seems to me that it's not getting the requisite "go widescreen" signal... I'm sure that's completely the wrong way to put it in technical terms, but that's what it appears is happening...

Thanks,

Chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, can BTW, the quality of the games is outstanding. Esp. through the component in. the colors are rich, and the detail is amazing... I really enjoy the system. Note that there's not a lot of games out there yet that will be suitable for your 3 1/2 year old (although it also will play most Playstation 1 games, which is rich with titles that kids can enjoy).

-chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.