AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, I am looking for some guidance on how to make a switch from Directv to Dish while leveraging my investment in the directv hardware and minimizing dish network hardware.

I will be switching to Dish Network soon for 2 reasons

1) Greater HDTV choices

2) Availability of International programming packages

c) I am fed up with Directv

I have the current setup

a) Main room

Sony XBR400 with Sony A50 Receiver.

Using Toslink Digital out to my receiver

b) Bedroom

Mitsubishi 27 inch tv with Sony B50 receiver

c) Using a dual LLB 19 " Sony satellite dish for above

I would like to enjoy HDTV programming (both HBO etc.. as well as OTA HDTV programming)

Based, on what I have read, I think I need the following setup..

a) Dish 6000 receiver with ?? dish (500 ?) + OTA attachment for local HDTV ? Utilize both digital and Component video out to my Sony XBR400 tv.

b) Use My existing Directv dish to get the core packages ?

c) Get another Dish xxxx receiver for bedroom where hdtv etc is not a requirement.

d) Sell off my two directv receivers...

Can someone please provide guidance ?

Where is the best place (internet or otherwise) for me to get Dish hardware ?

Thanks a bunch

Sunil

·
Registered
98 Posts
To make sure your packages will match what you can get from DirecTV, see http://www.qtm.net/~trowbridge/DBScomp.htm

you may also want to visit http://www.dbsforums.com

Having said that, receipt of E*'s signals through your DirecTV dish is possible, although if you want to receive from both E* orbital locations at 110 and 119, your currect DirecTV dish would have to be the eliptical version with mounting points for 3 LNBS.

I must point out that E*'s HTDV programming comes from 61.5 and 148. Since you're in CA, you'll need to have a dish pointed at 148. It is possible to use your DirecTV dish to point at the 148 slot. You might save a few bucks (less than 50)

As for retailers, I've had good luck with Dish Depot, they do phone and internet orders and "have a clue". Their web site and others may be linked through http://www.dbsforums.com/retailer.asp

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Klaczynski:

I must point out that E*'s HTDV programming comes from 61.5 and 148. Since you're in CA, you'll need to have a dish pointed at 148. It is possible to use your DirecTV dish to point at the 148 slot. You might save a few bucks (less than 50)

You may be able to see the Dish sat at 61.5. It will depend entirely on local terrain and any manmade obstructions. The advantage of the 61.5 sat is the availability of the DISH HD demo loop, in addition to the regular HD programming.

·
Registered
511 Posts
You probably want to just get the system from DishNet which will include 2 dishes and 2 receivers. They have promotions for new subscribers where you can get the whole setup for very cheap.

If you buy the system you are really only buying the receivers, the dishes are free. I would recommend joining the forum www.***************.com. They have a group buy on satellite systems from DishNet in their Group Buys section.

------------------

Eram

---------------------

TV=Sony 53HS10, DVD=Sony DVP-550D, CD=Sony CDP-C335, DSS=Dish PVR 501, Receiver=Marantz S5000, Speakers=JBL M28, JBL PSW-D110, VCR=Panasonic PV-V4620

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
If I switch from DirecTV to Dish (and I am considering it), I will probably keep the DirecTV setup intact. This way I can "churn" to support whichever system is supporting HDTV.

What do others think about this approach?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks to everyone for posting their replies. I am sorting through the rebate offers, and trying to figure out the best combination.

Any comments on the User interface on the Dish system ? I haven't seen it but heard that it is potentially dated with respect to the Directv system. Not that, it is going to prevent this switch but I was just curious.

·
Super Moderator
21,328 Posts
I considered the same change but soon realized Dish has very limited HD broadcasts as well- all you are doing IMO is increasing the complexity of your setup, and spending more money. I decided to wait until there is a Clearly better solution that makes more sense.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hi Sunil,

I was able to get both the 61.5 and the 148 satellites, so you may be able to as well. 61.5 is real low on the horizon and was eventually occluded by a tree a couple blocks away.

There are introductory combo packages that come with dishes, a model 6000 recevier, and a non-HDTV receiver. Check out these places for inexpensive places to buy online: www.satelliteone.com www.dbs-sales.com www.dishdepot.com www.dishusa.com

You could get a 6023 pack which will come with both dishes you need or you could get a 6022 pack and use your DirecTV dish to pick up the 61.5 or 148 satellite.

Your a,c, and d seem correct to me. But for (b), I'd say user your existing DirecTV dish to get the DN 61.5 or 148 (HDTV/Int'l) sat and get a Dish 500 to get 110/119.

[This message has been edited by dagman (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
695 Posts

Quote:
Dish has very limited HD broadcasts
As compared to....???

You're right in one respect that there just isn't as much HD content out there (period) at this time. However, Dish will be carrying close to 90% of what content is available, as opposed to DirecTV (without Showtime-HD, CBS-HD, and a PPV channel that only operates in red-eye mode) I think there's CLEARLY a difference. To me, the big difference between Dish and DTV is HDTV vs. Sports (respectively). A new report shows that the most important thing to DBS subscribers is PQ. I've had both DirecTV and Dish, and I think Dish is the leader in this arena as well.

Ok, sorry 'bout that. But to say that Dish doesn't have more HD content is simply denying the facts. If you want to stay with DTV, that's fine. Just be honest about the reasons.

Now, having switched to Dish from DTV as well, one option you may not have considered is trading-in your existing receivers. When I bought my hardware at dishdepot.com, they took my Sony Sat-B2 receiver as a trade-in, bringing my total investment down even further. It's something to think about, unless you really feel strongly about keeping your old equipment.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.