AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be removing my WinTV video tuner card (probably Saturday) and trying out a CyberMail Video card in place of it. I will be using 1 composite and one S-Video input.

The CyberMail card has a Conextant BT878KWF chip installed. My HTPC is a 1GHZ, P3 with the Radeon 64 MB DRR VIVO AGP video card. It is running 98ME and PowerStrip 3.0.
  • Q1: I have researched this forum and found that the majority of the users suggest not installing any software for the CyberMail card, although some have installed the whole software package without any conflicts. What do owners of this card suggest?
  • Q2: I am using dScaler 3.08. Any configuration of dScaler using the Cybermail card would be greatly appreciated. I am especially interested on how to access both composite and S-Video using dScaler.

Thanks, Don

JVC G11, hushbox, VuTek 3X4 100" screen, AVS 1Hgz HTPC, Dish Net HD6000, HBOHD & ShowTimeHD, Lexicon MC-1 7.1, NHT 2.9's, AC2, 1.5's, DT BP2X Surrounds and Sub, BK amp, Rotel amp, 4DTV "C" band BUD, Pioneer LD, Pronto TSU2000.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I recently reformatted my OS partition, and I did NOT have to install any drivers for the Cybermail card. I have the exact same hardware as you, but am running Win ME.

I had dScaler on a different partition, and just doubleclicked the .exe and I was back in business.

Slobbie

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
I don't think that dscaler needs the drivers since it talks to the hardware itself at a pretty low level.

However, if you do want/need to load drivers, you should look at:

http://www.iulab.com/index.shtml?bt8x8/about

I would not recommend loading the cybertainment software.

I have the cyber card and replaced it with a io magic pvr card from compusa ($39). My cyber card exhibited the noise bar problems that are discussed in the following thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ent+noise+bars

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just finished installing the Cybermail card. I got to it earlier than expected. It can't be much worse than the WinTV card I removed. For $29, I can't go to far wrong, I hope! Haven't booted up the HTPC yet, wanted to see if there was any response. I am going to try without the drivers and see what happens. Will post my findings when done.

Don

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I installed the CyberMail card without the drivers. It was just as well as somehow I ether lost or had never received the software for the card. I had received it about 3 months ago and just didn’t get around to installing it because it is such a hassle to disconnect and take the HTPC out of my AV center. Anyway, initially dScaler (3.07) couldn’t find the card. After the second reboot, Windows ME finally updated its driver information and dScaler allowed me to configure the card. Using the standard dScaler Bt878 card driver, I was only able to get S-Video not composite. I changed the dScaler hardware card to “Conextant Bt878 NTSCXEVK†and was able to both S and composite. I am using Video 2 in and not using V1 composite at all.

I have to say right out of the box, the video quality was substantially less noisy than my pervious tuner card. I did have some problems however. I was getting a real noticeable vertical jump in the picture. After a fare amount of searching, I found that I had turned on the (filters) temporal filter. Turning it off made the image stable again. I am still getting horizontal very narrow noise lines from the composite input. I need to look into that a bit more. I don’t think it’s a problem with the card however. The composite inputs to the card are very small and shallow. I have a high quality composite cable going to that connector and I remembered having a problem getting it on to the connector all the way.

The bottom line, for approximately $29.00 it’s a hell of a video input card.

Don

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm also trying to decide what to do about the drivers for the cybermail. Dscaler doesn't need the drivers for the card, but I also want to do some video capture. I couldn't find drivers (even the WDM ones) that would work reliably with virtualdub or Windows Media Encoder.

I was really looking forward to having the recording done in dscaler so we didn't have to worry about drivers anymore, but the time-shift code, while very encouraging, isn't up to the stability or quality that we need.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.