AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm a starving grad student who likes music. I've been surviving on a pair of Grado SR-60s and a laptop sound card while trying to find a system for myself for quite a while now. My current budget is $250-350.

I want a simple system that sounds as good as it can, for this money. This is primarily for music. A fine sounding 2.1 is preferred to an average 5.1+. I need a receiver, a CD player, two speakers, and a sub. If the speakers sound really good and fill out the low end adequately, I can spend more on them now and postpone the sub by a year. The CD player doesn't need to be fancy. A quality single-disc would be fine, as long it does simple things like run seamless CD tracks without inserting pauses. I would like full, rich sound, and the ability to upgrade without too much limitation. I have a small room right now, with carpeting. I usually sit at the floor level. I might have a larger studio apartment later.

I listen to everything from bass-heavy classic rock to classical. Some representative favorites would be the Stones' Exile on Main Street and Shostakovich's first violin concerto. The source would be a mix of Audio CDs and streaming from a computer source via the headphones jack. I'm not too familiar with cable requirements etc., but I can read up on those.

I'd really appreciate some pointers. I'd be interested in seeing where you folks feel the compromises are appropriate. Thank ye all.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm currently looking at:

- Onkyo TX-SR504B receiver, $159

- JBL Monitor Venue pair, $99. Will these make good rear speakers some day?

Any changes?

I still need something decent to play my CDs.

Comments?

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I'll add an AV123 x-sub to the mix later. Do you think I'd manage reasonably well without it in the meantime, with the above setup? Anything better out there in subs in the $200 (or less) range for music? I can't seem to find the Athena AS-P4000 anywhere, although there is a P4100 for about the same money as the x-sub.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
Go used for $300

Theres some excellent, hefty stereo receivers that people are selling for a song on craigslist. Because of their transformer, they will outperform low end receivers, especially the Onkyo 504, which is a 20 pound econobox.

Then get 2 nice full range Infinity towers, if you can, used

·
Registered
8,712 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdaedalus /forum/post/0

btw, I got myself a Yamaha RX-V870, and a pair of Polk 11ts. All used, and very nice.

Those are some very nice speakers...CL can be your friend. Glad you took John's advice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.