AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've spent hours reading through these forums the past couple weeks and I believe it was time well spent. I would like to solicit your advice in deciding which speakers I buy in my new house.

I will initially be purchasing a stereo setup for music and TV.

I am leaning towards the Harman Kardon HK3490 integrated amp receiver. I understand that speakers are highly subjective, but I would like some suggestions on music-centric tower speakers for no more than 500 dollars (pair). Should they have a high sensitivity level? I won't be able to budget for a sub to start with, so should I look for a broad frequency response range? Any particular size of driver that will handle music (all kinds, but mostly rock/metal) better than others?

I've looked at the Athena LS-300 or LS-500 models. Would the LS-500 be much of a difference when compared to the LS-300? The LS-300 handles 200 watts, which is 50 less than the LS-500, and still more than the amp will push. The benefit of the LS-300 is that they are very cheap on AudioAdvisor right now.

The Polk RTi8 would be another option. They are discounted on Amazon currently.

I would really appreciate any of your input.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
So i take it you won't be looking for surround sound any time soon?

I only bring this up because of the HK stereo receiver choice.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct. Down the road I plan on buying another LCD or plasma, an AVR, and a 7.1 setup. For this system I will just send the audio from the DirectTV box to the receiver.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
Check out Harmon Audio's Ebay site. There are some auctions on JBL L Series towers which can be had for about $1/3 the original street price. An excellent speaker by the way with great bass extension and a smooth top end. Nice Midrange clarity. Pretty efficient too so your 125W will go a long way with these.

http://cgi.ebay.com/JBL-L890-4-Way-D...742.m153.l1262

I've heard the LS 500, an excellent speaker at it's price point as well. Check the Athena owners thread here on the Forum and see if anyone local to your area will let you audition them.

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
i have that with hat receiver--it has a lot of power and can deliver 75 amps peak per chanel so i wouldn't worry about its power--very good and economical choice for 2 ..anyway dont have much experience with athena but the polk rti8';s are pretty good and very good for the price. driver size is unimportant--stick to what your ears like and donlt worry about the power ratings on the speakers. you do want a full range since you wont have a sub at first. good luck and whichever you get you will be doing extremely well in 2 ch sound for the money.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ended up buying the HK3490 and two Athena LS-500 floor speakers. Looking forward to checking them out.

If someone can post or link the recommended break-in on the LS-500, I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts