AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I just ordered a Panasonic SA-XR45 receiver. Now is the time for the entry-level HT speakers. I'm pretty much decided on the Yamaha NS-P436 which can be seen here: http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/HXseries/NSP436.htm

The sats claim a seemingly absurd frequency range for such a small speaker, of 70Hz-60kHz. Should I believe this? More importantly, they actually provide a frequency chart. Could you gurus interpret the attached chart for me and perhaps tell me if it will yield good sound and is reasonable for a $300 6.1 package? In the chart, the YST is the sub, the NX is the sat. I'll be ordering this tomorrow, or not, based on your input! Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
It's not the sats' frequency response you're seeing, it's the combination of the sats and the sub.

The sats go down to about 150Hz at -3dB and the sub takes over for the last octave or two (~40Hz to 150Hz).

Not bad for a $299 system.

It looks neat too.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, the manual is listing the actual sat going down to 70Hz.. that's what I found hard to believe. The subwoofer has a seperate section where it is listed as going down to 30Hz. I'm getting it from BestBuy online and its small, so if it stinks I can drag it down the road and return it!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
wow the product specs stating 30-60000hz even focal jm lab cannot do this

anyhow what is the fluctuation? +- 3db or +-30db for 20hz to 20khz?

the ruler flat frequency response chart is unreal.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cpu8088
It's clearly theoretical, not anechoic measurement. At best, a theoretical approximation of the interaction between sats and sub.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A fluctuation spec is not given. Only other specs given are 6-ohm, 100W max, 30W nominal, and 85db sensitivity. I just noticed the sub is only 6.5". But it claims going down to 30Hz. Hmmm... I guess I'll just have to try it. The thing that bothers me about the Athenas are the distracting gray bezels, and all the oval patterns. Very ugly, IMHO. Though they sound very good, much better than JBL N24IIs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The response graph shown for the combined responses could be fairly accurate, but I suspect only at low levels. A 6.5" woofer is going to have a real hard time putting out any kind of loud output below 60 or 70Hz. I would suggest you have a look at something a little bigger in the speakers so that hey can play loud down to 60Hz, and then a sub-woofer than can play loud down to 30Hz, at least a 10" driver.

There are many suggestions on this forum for this price range and smallish speakers, specifically Omage, Onkyo HT760, Parts Express subwoofers, HSU ventriloquists and others.

I would bet that 6 Omage AV21s would outdo the subwoofer in that package for bass when it gets loud. Then you save a bit for a 10" or better subwoofer and be much happier.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have a Yamaha YST sub that is "only" 7 in and it blows my sony 8" right out of the water......

·
Registered
332 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by YeuEmMaiMai
I have a Yamaha YST sub that is "only" 7 in and it blows my sony 8" right out of the water......
Sorry, have to comment. I "Love" the name "very much." It's been awhile since I was able to practice speaking it.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The chart is baloney. Anytime that you see frequency chart does NOT look just like a roller coaster, then do not beleive it.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Quote:

I'd like to know how they came up with this chart. The sub begins to roll off at 55hz, the sats don't catch up until 150hz, and they only show a -4db maximum loss from 55hz to 225 hz.

What's wrong with this "picture"?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xandypx
What's wrong with this "picture"?
The pretty picture is a 100% BS.

Bill

·
Registered
159 Posts
The chart just explains how the sub/sat combination works. It is not the theoretical or measured response. It's probably something that the marketing department requested to explain how the combination works.

If you want to examine this analytically, the sub+sat response doesn't add up to the ruler flat sum response. The sub+sat combination crossover point is below 86 dB which does not add up to the ruler flat 90 dB.

I'm sure the time spent writing the various posts has already far exceeded the time they spent drawing the graph. :)

- Chi

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sigh, all I wanted is good 6.1 speakers for a reasonable price all matched and without hassles. I bought these speakers, but I can return them for full refund if they sound like crap with my SA-XR45.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Flavius

... I can return them for full refund if they sound like crap with my SA-XR45.
And thus the key. For $299 they may very well sound all right. The determining factor is... Do they fit the bill for what you are looking for? Is the sound appealing to you? The price certainly dosen't hurt.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I have the yamaha system that this one replaced. It's basically the same, although the satellites all have two "woofers."

For the money, I don't think it's that bad. I can definitely hear that it's not a great system, but if you don't spend much time worrying about that, it's perfectly fine to watch a movie. Saving the money on the speakers allowed me to get a second PVR, progressive DVD, HD cable box, and HD OTA tuner card. Those were more important to me for a HT than having better speakers. I don't plan on getting better speakers until after I get a clearQAM OTA/cable HDTivo (assuming one eventually exists). But I have been considering getting a 12" sub to sit alongside the dinky one and handle the low frequencies.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
wow the product specs stating 30-60000hz even focal jm lab cannot do this

You have 3 and 30 as if they are the same question, when if they put - or + 30db then you have a group of brochure writers that are completely making up their results because if you have a 30db built in basis error then you can say anything you want and not be saying anything at all.

I have no idea why anybody paying 300 dollars for a 6 speaker package would even check the specs, because I can't imagine a 5 minute test was done on the whole package once, and if the equipment testing it was commensurate with the package being tested, you very well could have a 30 db fluctuation from one test to the next.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.