AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking into getting a projector for a few months, and will likely get one before the year is over. Believe it or not, it is out of necessity. Our living room is somewhat oddly assembled, and the only logical place for a tv is right in front of our 10 foot wide front window. That means 1 - I can't put a RPTV in front of it and 2 - my screen needs to be an able to scroll up and down.

The research that I have done so far shows that I will need to spend around 3 grand or more on such a screen (Stewart of DaLite). Are there any options that I am missing? Does anyone roll their screen down in front of a window? There are custom blinds on the window that came with the house, but during the day, you can still see horizontal lines. Will these show through the screen? Will I also need additional window masking behind the screen? My initial thought is to have opaque curtains fill the sides of the window left uncovered by the screen. Will this work? The blinds get the room fairly dark, but my main concern is the lines. Right now, our room is uncomfortably put together, with my 55" RPTV 22' away from the viewing position, which is right under the big window. During the day, I am distracted by the lines.

So, will the screen act as a light blocker as well, or do I need further masking? Also, is there a cheaper alternative to Stewart and DaLite. If I go with the BenQ 8700, I won't be paying much more for the projector than I am for the screen, which seems strange to me.

Thanks for your input and response.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I'd say DaLite would be your most affordable option - if you look for something cheaper, you'll be sacrificing too much quality.

According to others here at the forum, Model C material (high power comes to mind) is pretty sturdy stuff - you shouldn't see any light bleeding through - should be right in your price range. Alternatively, the Model Bs are cheaper, but less sturdy material.

I have a Model B, with pretty much the setup you mentioned - screen in front of large window with vertical blinds, afternoon sun shining through. I don't roll it up though; if I did, I would've went with the Model C.

No issues, mate!:D

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
check my gallery.

One pic is a dalite matte white in front of a 8 ft. window.

The screen helps block light. I have sag issues in upper left of screen - a reason why I upgraded to the dalite hipower.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.