AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 296 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage  /t/1423003/please-bring-back-crt-tvs-into-the-production-line-again#post_22335199

I just did, what a strange beast! I wonder if one would satisfy our thread starter?

You do need a pretty large room for a beast like that though. If the only reason he needs a crt tv is to play older video game systems, then going on craigslist will satisfy his needs. You can still pick up some pretty good sets on there. For $100, he can probably buy three or four and have crt tvs for years (and depending on condition, decades) to come.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
A strange beast indeed
most go for 100$ or so in the size I got, People are chucking them out the door cause of the bulk and picture after not cleaning the lenses for the lifetime of the tv. With clean lenses, and a bit of eyeballed calibration they throw a picture that beats a lot of lcds I've seen and can rival many plasmas.

It's a little above the op's nostalgic gaming needs though, I'm not entirely sure how a pixelated 8bit Atari game looks noticeably better on a CRT

Maybe the op is bothered by input lag.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
These "strange" beasts do seem to be outliving single tube direct view crt's by alot of years though, so it may be the op's only choice in the near future. I can only imagine someone dragging a 42" plus crt rear pro (smallest size you can get) into their house to play atari games on, thats some seriously commendable dedication

I myself found no other realistic option for stealth games like thief and splinter cell, crt monitors are to small, direct view crt hdtv's are a slight implosion and radiation hazard, cheap lcds/led lcds suck for blacks and or have ghosting and older plasmas and budget plasmas don't do much better than lcd's until you start spending 800+ as well as having image retention issues when used as a monitor.

·
Registered
298 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S  /t/1423003/please-bring-back-crt-tvs-into-the-production-line-again#post_22330805

I have an old Sony KX34XBR960 unused in a bedroom... I now use a Panasonic plasma... The Sony cost $2000 for a 34" screen, weighs 200+ lbs, supports 1080i only and bulky.... My Panasonic plasma is 46", has better geometry, excellent color, a sharper image (in hidef - true 1080P), weighs 60 lbs and cost $1000. CRTs are never coming back....
The plasma also has image retention, dithering, buzzing, fixed resolution, phosphor lag, and potential burn-in.

The only issue I personally have with CRT is the geometry. People always bring up "size" or "weight" or even "power consumption". This is meaningless. The size and weight of the set is inconsequential, since you place it somewhere and don't move it. The screen size of a 32" or 36" is fine. It wasn't until 16x9 became ubiquitous that tubes couldn't keep up in size. Power consumption is not a concern, not when you have two dozen other devices in your house constantly drawing standby power for trivial purposes.

CRTs were just too much of a hassle for the manufacturers, not consumers. The fact that CRTs were pushed out of market by vastly inferior LCD panels shows us the truth. Most consumers fell for the marketing or just didn't care, and manufacturers benefitted from it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wish they could make LCD's or plasmas look halfway attractive for use in the living room or other formal areas. I'll take a 70's vintage 25" Zenith console in a wood cabinet any day over one of those butt-ugly black plastic and plexiglass LCD's. Even the last-generation flat screen CRT sets in silver cabinets with metal speaker grills look a lot classier than the vast expanse of flat black plastic of new TV's. I still use CRT TV's throughout my house, all on analog cable. My TV spends 22 hours "off" and only 2 hours "on" each day, so appearances while turned off are just as important to me as picture quality.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Beachboy  /t/1423003/please-bring-back-crt-tvs-into-the-production-line-again#post_22338500

I wish they could make LCD's or plasmas look halfway attractive for use in the living room or other formal areas. I'll take a 70's vintage 25" Zenith console in a wood cabinet any day over one of those butt-ugly black plastic and plexiglass LCD's. Even the last-generation flat screen CRT sets in silver cabinets with metal speaker grills look a lot classier than the vast expanse of flat black plastic of new TV's. I still use CRT TV's throughout my house, all on analog cable. My TV spends 22 hours "off" and only 2 hours "on" each day, so appearances while turned off are just as important to me as picture quality.

Everyone has a different definition for good taste. I think those old wood consoles are better for keeping nik-nak's than for a tv. Although it does provide a place to put other electronic devices on (like a big screen lcd
). And I like sleek black electronic devices. If given a choice, i always buy the black version.

·
Registered
21,611 Posts
Reminds me of someone that still has an Edsel in the driveway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree let's keep our CRT Tv's...I used to work in a tv repair shop and I can tell you it's much easier and cheaper to fix an old CRT tv.

I have a Toshbia CRT with a convertor box hooked up to it and the picture is really amazing...I've seen Vizio LCD tv's that were only 1 year old coming into the shop for repair. LCD tv's don't last very long and they can be expensive to fix.

I'm not saying we shouldn't buy an LCD tv but it dosen't make sense to throw out our CRT sets if they are still working. I plan to have an LCD in the front room and keep my CRT set in the bedroom. It's not a bad idea to buy an extended warranty on these new sets to protect yourself if you do have a problem.

·
Registered
176 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman  /t/1423003/please-bring-back-crt-tvs-into-the-production-line-again#post_22338800

Reminds me of someone that still has an Edsel in the driveway.

Edsel, nah. Model T maybe, or Pontiac GTO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeycat  /t/1423003/please-bring-back-crt-tvs-into-the-production-line-again#post_22341670

I agree let's keep our CRT Tv's...I used to work in a tv repair shop and I can tell you it's much easier and cheaper to fix an old CRT tv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskeycat  /t/1423003/please-bring-back-crt-tvs-into-the-production-line-again#post_22341670

I'm not saying we shouldn't buy an LCD tv but it dosen't make sense to throw out our CRT sets if they are still working.

Really is sad that we've become such a throw-away society.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlcohen  /t/1423003/please-bring-back-crt-tvs-into-the-production-line-again#post_22323082

it's dead - it will never come back.

The screens were small, bulky and heavy. Most people would sacrifice some picture quality to get a larger, thinner and lighter set.

There is not enough demand and it's not something you can really produce on a small scale and make any money.

And what's ironically funny is your post combined with your avatar image.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Also love the PQ on my heavy 34" widescreen HD Panny but I understand the transistion. For now my seating is close to the TV and I haven't been around much to others' places to get too used to the giant screens. But one friend has an LG LCD and the reflections were unbearable, so bad I can't give a fair PQ assessment of the set; they even closed the blinds (horizontal louver) although they're on the sunny side of the room.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcorban  /t/1423003/please-bring-back-crt-tvs-into-the-production-line-again#post_22338141

The plasma also has image retention, dithering, buzzing, fixed resolution, phosphor lag, and potential burn-in.

The only issue I personally have with CRT is the geometry. People always bring up "size" or "weight" or even "power consumption". This is meaningless. The size and weight of the set is inconsequential, since you place it somewhere and don't move it. The screen size of a 32" or 36" is fine. It wasn't until 16x9 became ubiquitous that tubes couldn't keep up in size. Power consumption is not a concern, not when you have two dozen other devices in your house constantly drawing standby power for trivial purposes.

CRTs were just too much of a hassle for the manufacturers, not consumers. The fact that CRTs were pushed out of market by vastly inferior LCD panels shows us the truth. Most consumers fell for the marketing or just didn't care, and manufacturers benefitted from it.

Crt's buzz and show color breakup as well, they are also susceptible to burn in though I don't think it was as big a problem as it was with early plasmas. Modern plasmas are much more risilient to burn in, to the point where it isn't a problem anymore for most situations.

The fixed resolution of plasmas an lcds is higher than most crt's. Interlacing was implemented to achieve a high resolution on many crt's but it only effects vertical resolution, very few consumer direct view crt hdtvs are capable of more than 1000x1080i with the high end Sony's reaching up to around 1400x1080i and the majority of other brands hitting 800-1000x1080i

Interlaced resolutions are also slightly softer to help mitigate the percieved flickering when viewing fine lines.

My personal gripes with crt hdtv's are upkeep regarding convergence and geometry, a softer image usually due to a lower resolution and the pixel structure, usually a lower static or ansi contrast ratio (most noticeable in scenes with equal light and dark portions), a slight risk of implosion and the not yet fully understood effects of electromagnetic radiation, and the aforementioned size and weight (has more signifigance when you have to move your 240lb tv rather than having it delivered).

I have to agree that nothing was better about lcds when they first hit other than power draw. If i remember correctly lcds first arrived in the form of rear projection tv's which were themselves bulky and subject to lower static contrast and other flaws inherent to rear projection.
Quote:

I have a Toshbia CRT with a convertor box hooked up to it and the picture is really amazing...I've seen Vizio LCD tv's that were only 1 year old coming into the shop for repair. LCD tv's don't last very long and they can be expensive to fix.

I'm not saying we shouldn't buy an LCD tv but it dosen't make sense to throw out our CRT sets if they are still working. I plan to have an LCD in the front room and keep my CRT set in the bedroom. It's not a bad idea to buy an extended warranty on these new sets to protect yourself if you do have a problem.

Better Brands usually equal better reliability, Vizio is a budget brand.

·
Registered
16 Posts
All of you have made very good points on this thread. Honestly, I just have to pick CRTs because of their long lifespan,reliability and picture quality. I would want a television that can last for a good long while and has great picture quality without getting any major costly problems. CRTs also have excellent viewing angles when compared to an LCD. I have a Sharp CRT television that still works 15 years later and a Compaq monitor that's 11 years old.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
My grandparents had an rca crt going for around 30 years with 8-10 hours a day use
There seems to be quite a variance though any crt's ive owned only last around 10 years. Any technology that hasn't been retired is quite reliable as well, modern lcds, led lcds, and plasmas will probably be working 20 years down the line.

·
Registered
83 Posts
quote name="Ratman" url="/t/1423003/please-bring-back-crt-tvs-into-the-production-line-again#post_22338800"]Reminds me of someone that still has an Edsel in the driveway.
[/quote]

Hey, I'm OLD, get over it! I'd LOVE to have a cherry Edsel in my driveway. It would beat the hell out of my Mexican Mazda. I don't like new technology and refuse to adopt it.

·
Registered
2,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bringbackcrttv 

Please Bring back CRT TV's Into the Production line Again!

Sadly i think too many people have bene brainwashed/reprogrammed chris to think this NEW GARBAGE is better......

Very sad isnt it??

·
Registered
1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111  /t/1423003/please-bring-back-crt-tvs-into-the-production-line-again/30#post_22368600

Sadly i think too many people have bene brainwashed/reprogrammed chris to think this NEW GARBAGE is better......

Very sad isnt it??

No, it's just some of us don't look through the past in rose colored glasses. No technology is perfect and that includes crt hdtvs. And new tech is world's better than it was five years ago when crt's were discontinued in this country.

·
Registered
232 Posts
My Nec XP37 Xtra just broke down, after 13 years of service... and i'm on my way to repair it, cause no other technology comes CLOSE to this kind of 15000$ MSRP CRT monitor.

Being a tv repairman and having calibrated many plasma, lcd, dlp, lcd proj., crt and crt projection tv's, i can assure you that nobody here knows the true capabilities of CRT like i do.

First of all, perfect geometry on a CRT (Yes lol, on a 36"... ) Geometry errors are there cause CRT manufacturers like Sony don't even bother with geometry... they stick some magnets at the back and assume it'll pass inspection.

Second : Perfect convergence even at 1600x1200 or at 2048x1536. These monitors achieve these resolutions and make fun of fixed panel techs these days.

Its completely multisync, so even light guns work cause its compatible with ANY resolution from 320x240 lol to 2048x1536 in full progressive and even higher in interlaced. 720p at 120hz so its 3d capable with a PS3 or a PC which displays twin 60hz 720p images.

Perfect blacks, pure white and NO jitter, noise, etc etc.

Have you ever looked at your tv up close and noticed tons of pixels buzzing around and lots of digital noise? Well, a good monitor has none of this and displays true colors and can take anything you can throw at it. None of you guys truly know how much resolution the WII, the N64 and all those older consoles had until you plug them on a true multisync monitor.

If there was one type of tv id gladly pay for new, it would be a nice ANALOG presentation monitor capable of 1080p + like the NEC XP29's and 37's. (Of course, i wouldnt pay twice the retail price lol.... these tv's often sold for 25000$ US.... with them still going for over 1000$ USED these days....)

·
Registered
2,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhufnagel 

And new tech is world's better than it was five years ago when crt's were discontinued in this country.

Its sad that you cant see what the better is...... Its ppl who dont know whats better IS THE REASON things are going to crap... (In my opinion)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Its sad how incredibly biased you are

There are of course some things crt's just aren't very good at, sure a 15000$ monitor will help close the gap but the average CRT has some clear faults when compared to other technology and modern technology has improved considerably.

21 - 40 of 296 Posts