AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of designing a home theater in my new home. The theater should be completed by the end of January. I'd like to watch the superbowl there... probably not realistic, but hell it's a goal to shoot for. The room is 19x23, and I'm planning to have two rows of seats, with the rear row on a floating platform.

Video will be via a JVC-G150 d-ILA, with an FE Centerstage processor. Stewart Greyhawk screen, probably 10'. Still working on the audio side...

Pre/pro - pretty set on the MC-12. L-7 sounds good, just really looking for a solid unit that's going to provide good clean sound and will be upgradeable.

Amp - looking hard at the Theta Dreadnaught with the 3x200watt plus 4x100 watt channel outfitting.

Where is need help the most is with speakers... currently looking at Snells, Monitor Audios, Aerials, B&W's, and others. All great speakers, my total budget for the seven speakers plus the sub is probably $20K. Also need to make a decision on in-walls versus in-rooms. I'm not married to an in-wall concept.

Thinking about putting in Buttkicker2's.

HT will be used for the following applications, in order of importance:

1. DVD Movies

2. Sporting events

3. Other TV shows (some HD)

4. High quality listening room - CD's, SACD and DVD-A

Would greatly appreciate any input.

·
Registered
103 Posts
And check out an ATC active system, (7) SCM20-2's with (2) C6 subwoofers should do the trick for you. This is a system that will do 115dB all day 20-20K and in the mid 120's during peak moments. You won't need Butt kickers anymore either...get some room acoustic treatments instead.

With the flexibility of the MC-12's tone controls and the incredibly flat response on the ATC's you can make your system sound like it has any of those other speakers systems you mentioned in it.

ATC speakers can be flush mounted in the wall, on the wall, or free standing with little or no effect on the speakers overall performance.

They make a superb HT, music , video game etc speakers.... they have no weakness's except they are expensive for most people, but not for you, this system retails for just under $23K.

REM. Each 20 has a 200watt class A biased amp for the woofer and a 50 watt amp for the tweeter. Each Sub is 1K watts.

Only bad part about my recommendation may be finding a dealer near you.

and I should mention that I am an ATC scm-20 owner.

PS: For that size screen, you may want to investigate a Firehawk vs a Greyhawk.

·
Registered
707 Posts
You should consider the Monitor Audio Gold Series. I really like these speakers and find them very good value for money. I was considering the B&W Nautilus but went for the MAs due to price.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon SS
You should consider the Monitor Audio Gold Series. I really like these speakers and find them very good value for money. I was considering the B&W Nautilus but went for the MAs due to price.
Which models do you have for the LCR's and which for the surrounds? My problem is that given the design of the room I don't think I can mount the Gold GRFX's on the sides of the room... the walls go up six feet and then slant inwards for the remaining four feet...(it's an attic space).

·
Registered
707 Posts
I bought the GR60s and GR Centre for LCR, the GR10s for the surrounds, and the FB212 sub (all in Rose Mahaogany). I am still in the process in buying the pre-amp and power amp.

I remember when reading the forum somebody had these connected to the Theta CB2 and Dreadnaught(?) and they really liked the combination. You could do a search under my name because it was a response to a posting I made.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jon SS
I bought the GR60s and GR Centre for LCR, the GR10s for the surrounds, and the FB212 sub (all in Rose Mahaogany). I am still in the process in buying the pre-amp and power amp.

I remember when reading the forum somebody had these connected to the Theta CB2 and Dreadnaught(?) and they really liked the combination. You could do a search under my name because it was a response to a posting I made.
Looked through all your posts but couldn't find it. No big deal.

Why'd you chose the GR10's as the surrounds as opposed to the GRFX's?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Here is the link

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=150004

It was a question about speaker wire and Sam mentioned he had the GR and they went well with Theta equipment.

I was buying 5.1 and may move to 7.1 depending whether it would be practical in my future house (still looking). I figured I could always get the dipoles later, but would be perfectly happy with monopoles. Apart from that no particular reason, but I did spend a lot of time reading forums debating which is better. The GRFXs are pretty much identical to the GR10s except are dipole.

FYI, MAs are very popular in the UK, which where I am from. My sister has the Silver series there and is very happy with them. I also still have a pair of MA700s (8 years old) for my old stereo system and love them.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
27,142 Posts
Nice set up!

Your projection is very nice. I, too, have a G-150 (currently out for calibration), a 120" Micro-Perf Grayhawk and Electrimasked screen and Asimilator on the way (Panamorph, too).

Audio wise, look hard at the Meridian 568. I am going to upgrade my current 565 /562V to that piece. I've had my Meridian processor for over 6 years. No problems, sometimes quirky but nice sounding and a snap to use.

I would look hard at the Aerial surround set up.. I have listened to it many times and am always impressed. Kevin Voecks (after leaving Snell formed this company). He is a first rate designer and put Snell on the map. If I was needing a speaker upgrade this is the way I'd go. (I may just buy their center channel soon - smooth as silk)

Subs - M & K or Velodyne. You can't go wrong with either.

Choose the speakers then select the amplifiers (depending on speaker sensitivity, amp power, impedance, amp's sound characteristics, etc.). Consider a parametric EQ when finished and calibrated - Rane or Audiocontrol for example. I am using 2 Rane THX 44s and a PE-17 for subs.

Most importantly, acoustivcally address the room's need. You have a lot of dough going into the sytem. Expensive components can and will sound sub-par if improperly implemented. That is the best advice I can give you.

Good Luck!

Jeff

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by thebland
Nice set up!

Your projection is very nice. I, too, have a G-150 (currently out for calibration), a 120" Micro-Perf Grayhawk and Electrimasked screen and Asimilator on the way (Panamorph, too).

Audio wise, look hard at the Meridian 568. I am going to upgrade my current 565 /562V to that piece. I've had my Meridian processor for over 6 years. No problems, sometimes quirky but nice sounding and a snap to use.

I would look hard at the Aerial surround set up.. I have listened to it many times and am always impressed. Kevin Voecks (after leaving Snell formed this company). He is a first rate designer and put Snell on the map. If I was needing a speaker upgrade this is the way I'd go. (I may just buy their center channel soon - smooth as silk)

Subs - M & K or Velodyne. You can't go wrong with either.

Choose the speakers then select the amplifiers (depending on speaker sensitivity, amp power, impedance, amp's sound characteristics, etc.). Consider a parametric EQ when finished and calibrated - Rane or Audiocontrol for example. I am using 2 Rane THX 44s and a PE-17 for subs.

Most importantly, acoustivcally address the room's need. You have a lot of dough going into the sytem. Expensive components can and will sound sub-par if improperly implemented. That is the best advice I can give you.

Good Luck!

Jeff
Thanks much for your thoughts.

How are you enjoying the G150? I've had some thoughts about holding out to get the SX-21...

The Meridian solution looks pretty cool, albeit a bit more expensive than the Lexicon/Theta combo I'm considering. I heard the Meridians make more sense if you use them with the Meridian digitally-driven speakers...

Will do some more research on the Aerials.

·
Registered
27,142 Posts
BTW - I mis-spoke above!! Aerials are nice but it is REVEL that I was gushing over. This is Kevin Voecks' new company. The Revel center channel is the one I pine to own!

Definetly check the Revel's out!

Meridian is really built to do analog speakers well. Don't discount that. I have never owned the digital speakers and have never felt shorted by my Meridian processor and analog speaker system.

The SX-21 is nice but it will only do short throw distances (no optional lenses available). The G-150 will allow placement behind the seating area with the standard lens. MAny lens options available. I have mine in a seperate projection room behind the theater. Also, the SX-21 is not HDCP compliant in the DVI input. DVI appears to be the future connection of choice.

I will be receiving my G-150 back from calibration in a week and will certainly post results. The calibrator said the stock contrast ratio was 542. It will be much improved.

The SX-21 is still a 4:3 chip but doesn't use a Xenon bulb. Colors not as rich. It does not supercede the G-150 in my opinion. The G-150 can be had for a few bucks more.

THe revels are awesome. You wouldn't be wanting for new speakers for many, many years if you acquired the Revels.

Again, acoustically address the room, too.

Jeff

BTW - Dennis Erskine can help (moderator here). He is a designer. He designed my room and I am pleased so far.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
First of all, nice choice of equipment. The preamp puzzles me a bit. While it is very flexible and has a ton of features, I think you could get a better sounding unit in your budget, especially for the music. (Theta, Meridian, etc.) Just personal opinion.

If you are going to spend $20k on speakers, you can get into several VERY nice setups.

Dynaudio

Revel

Snell

As for subs, really up to your taste. If you go with Revel, their B15 is very nice. Don't know the big Snell subs, sorry. Other sub options would be REL or TALON. If you get a couple of RELs, you will have NO need for buttkickers. Guarantee you that your gut will be getting slammed so hard your butt will already be moving.:D

·
Registered
350 Posts
For the speakers, I'd suggest taking a look at the ACI Veritas series. www.audioc.com

These are available in horizontal and vertical configuations. They are semi-powered designs with the woofers having two bands of parametric eq available. They are suited to in-cabinet, on wall or free standing placement. The new Maestro sub they're bringing out should be a real beast for the low frequencies. Best of all, ACI is one of the leaders in factory-direct audio companies. They've been doing it for 25 years and nobody does it better. I've owned many of their speakers over the years and always been very happy with them. The system I describe above is what I'm planning for myself. Like you, I'm still undecided on the processor and amps. I might start with an Anthem or B&K setup but the MC12 is also on my list of considerations. Fun process isn't it!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'd take a look at VMPS speakers.

Their site is at:
www.vmpsaudio.com

If you put together a system of RM40's, Larger sub/s, and maybe 626R's, you'll have a great system and money to spare. The only reason I personally think you shouldn't go this direction is if you don't like the VMPS speakers' looks.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Obviously, it would be a very bad idea to take anybody's word on something like this - you've got to go and audition systems for yourself. That said, I can not recommend Magneplanar's highly enough. I have a pair of 10-year old MG-III's that are part of a standalone audio system (i.e. not integrated w/my HT system) , and when I got to the point that I *thought* it might be time for an upgrade, I went down to listen to a pair of Martin-Logan electrostat's. (I'd heard so many great things about them.) Well, it took me less than 30 seconds of listening to music that I knew well, and I got up and left. There was no comparison whatsoever.

This is not to slam the M-L's - I've also listened to speakers from Aerial, Monitor Audio and Wilson - most costing several times the price of a pair of MG3.6's (the modern equivalent of and heir apparent to my MG-III's) and every last one of them lacked the presence of my Maggies. To my ears, there's nothing else like them out there - at any price. The only thing I can think of that even comes close are the full-range ribbons from Apogee.

Now, my experience (love affair?) with Maggies goes back to 1980, so I freely admit my bias. beyond that, I have yet to audition the 5.1 system that they offer. However, I did find this thoughtful, well-written review and after reading it, I am most intrigued. Most of what the reviewer had to say was "dead on" when I applied it to my own Maggies. I will probably go and audition this system over the weekend.

EDIT- Went & listened to the 5 channel Maggies today - they were absolutely MAGnificent! Extremely engaging. Far better than any other HT setup I've ever heard. Definitely in a class by themselves.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
ElvisIncognito,

Being a maggie die-hard, and not having owned anything else for the primary system since mid 80's. I cannot recommend the maggies for him in this situation. This is because of his very low priority on music (even below things like watching CNN or Oprah.) If Music was #1 or #2 on his priority list, then I would recommend maggies.

As far as box speaker recommendation, the Meridian speakers setup could be had if a Meridian processor is used. It would also have you skip on amplification since a multitude of amplifiers are already built into the speakers itself. Plus, you'll save on cables since all you need to run are digital cables instead of bulky analog interconnect/speaker cables.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey man, I DON'T watch CNN and I ESPECIALLY DON'T WATCH OPRAH!

But seriously, thanks everyone for the great suggestions.

My biggest problem is going to be finding a way to audition as many of these speakers as possible - bearing in mind that they won't sound the same in my HT...

And I've only got a couple of weeks to make the decision!

Right now I'm leaning towards...

Triad Gold In-Wall Surrounds - six of 'em. Side surrounds next to each row of seats, and a pair of rear surrounds.

Snell xa90ps for front, left, and right. Possibly xa1900thx.

REL subs.

Lexicon pre/pro.

ADA Amps.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
But seriously, Wildcatter, you'd be doing yourself a great disservice if you don't at least audition the Maggies before making a final decision... It would be akin to going out & getting an LCD projector without first checking out CRT... ;)

Depending on who you ask, 70-80% of all sound in a movie comes out of the center channel, and nothing - NOTHING reproduces the human voice with the fidelity of Magneplanars. You *DO* want Oprah to sound like she's RIGHT THERE in your living room, don't you??? ;)

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
If you are going to consider maggies, listen to the MG20s. BY FAR the best maggies out there. Just understand that they have a limited sweetspot and limited SPL output. For some, limited output and HT are mutually exclusive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.