AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently am planning to use a 8.75' X 17' space as a home theater. I wanted to set up a 100" diag 16:9 screen (7'3" wide, 4'1"tall). The projector would be ceiling mounted 15' back. Completely light controlled room. The projector is a Dell 2100mp + panamorph which is a 1000 lumen projector (& HTPC). (eventually I plan to upgrade to a 720p DLP projector) I would eventually like to sit at 1.2 screen widths (although currently sit at 1.5 screen widths with this projector and see a little (but acceptable) pixelation.) Questions:

1. Which screen would you recommend & why. (it will be a fixed/mounted screen)

2. Would the viewing cone be okay if I had a > 1 gain screen in this room? The ceiling is 7.5' high)

3. How many rows of seats could I probably accomodate?

4. Am I overlooking any major problems with this setup?

Thanks.

john

·
Registered
311 Posts
Here is something to keep in mind. Your proposed screen is 7'3" wide. Add a 3" frame on each side, and your total width increases to 7'9".

Your room is 8'9" wide, so you'll have only 6" on each side for front speakers. If you leave 1" around the speakers, you'll have exactly 4" for each speaker!

I'd say your setup is too small for your proposed screen. You may have to settle for a smaller screen.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpj6st
Am I overlooking any major problems with this setup?
Your proposed screen is 7'3" wide. Add a 3" frame on each side, and your total width increases to 7'9".

Your room is 8'9" wide, so you'll have only 6" on each side for front speakers. If you leave 1" around the speakers, you'll have exactly 4" for each speaker!

I'd say your setup is too small for your proposed screen. You may have to settle for a smaller screen.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point about the speakers. Fortunately my current speakers fit nicely, but it is something to think about if I want to upgrade my speakers in future. Any screen material recommendations?

john

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.