AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought an oval dish. RCA DSA8900H, 18"x20", triple LNB. Trying to install it but can't seem to get a signal. I'm hoping that it isnt a condo complex that is 1/4 mile away blocking me. Can someone confirm Elevation and Azimuth and Tilt for this type of dish at zip code 06854? My receiver is telling me 250 Azimuth, 29 Elevation, 55Tilt. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Unless it is REALLY tall, at 1/4 mile the condo complex shouldn't be a problem

·
Registered
182 Posts
YOUR FIGURES ARE CORRECT

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
The first time you aim a dish it can be a little frustrating.

1. Make sure the mounting pole is plumb ( perfectly vertical)

2. Mount the dish on the pole and leave the nuts that tighten the azimuth slightly loose so you can easily move the dish.

3. Since you have had trouble aiming the dish already, take your compass and walk through your neighborhood to see other D* dish installations. Take a rough reading of their Azimuth position. You may find that there is a 10-20 degree variation typically to the west of what is called out.

4. When you move your dish, you have to allow time for the receiver to acquire and lock the signal so it can read the signal strength. Don't try to turn the dish continuously looking for the signal. It is sometimes easier if you tap the dish 1-2 degrees at a time until you get the signal. Tap and wait, tap and wait.

5. You didn't say whether you were using a signal strength meter or the meter in the receiver. Or, whether you had a switch in the line.

..Doyle

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your replys and tips. After a few weeks of not being able to get back up on the roof because of the snow and ice up there, I was finally able to get back up there today. Finally found the signal, it was much farther off from where I thought it would be. The elevation was correct, but the magnetic north reading wound up being more like 210 degrees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.