AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently building a dedicated theater. I bought the popcorn machine, I bought the theater seating, I bought the "lets all go to the lobby" wall decals; I am, however, still undecided on the projector and screen.

I am pretty sure if I just get a BenQ HT1075 projector and Silver Screen 100" fixed frame screen I will be pretty satisfied. But damnit I want this theater to impress. This leads me to worry about the black levels of the BenQ, or its 3D performance, or if a 1.0 gain white screen is the right choice for a very bright projector like the BenQ if I want better black levels.

Within my budget, I can logic away moving up a class of projector at which point I would target the Sony VPLHW40ES. My main motivations for such a selection are my VERY (very) high sensitivity to the rainbow effect of single chip DLP, a desire for better black levels, and to some extent a brand loyalty to Sony -- I'm a fan.

But the Sony projector is almost $1000 more than the Benq. I want to hear from BenQ owners who love their projector and had similar concerns about black levels and rainbow effect as me.

I'm happy to give any more details about my theater room if they are pertinent.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I'm currently building a dedicated theater. I bought the popcorn machine, I bought the theater seating, I bought the "lets all go to the lobby" wall decals; I am, however, still undecided on the projector and screen.

I am pretty sure if I just get a BenQ HT1075 projector and Silver Screen 100" fixed frame screen I will be pretty satisfied. But damnit I want this theater to impress. This leads me to worry about the black levels of the BenQ, or its 3D performance, or if a 1.0 gain white screen is the right choice for a very bright projector like the BenQ if I want better black levels.

Within my budget, I can logic away moving up a class of projector at which point I would target the Sony VPLHW40ES. My main motivations for such a selection are my VERY (very) high sensitivity to the rainbow effect of single chip DLP, a desire for better black levels, and to some extent a brand loyalty to Sony -- I'm a fan.

But the Sony projector is almost $1000 more than the Benq. I want to hear from BenQ owners who love their projector and had similar concerns about black levels and rainbow effect as me.

I'm happy to give any more details about my theater room if they are pertinent.
Details would definitely be helpful. Size of room, seating distances, speaker type and size, 5.1, 7,1, 7.2, 7.4, etc.

My first reaction is that a 100" screen is not going to "impress" anyone sitting more than 8' away from it. The general rule is to take your seating distance, cut in in half, and use that as the HEIGHT of your image. If your content is mostly 16:9 HDTV, gaming, etc. then use the height of the 16:9 screen. If you intend to watch mostly movies, then use the 2.39:1 image height even if you are going to use a 16:9 screen.

A larger screen, like 150" diagonal 16:9 is 11' wide and 6' tall and spreading the Benq's brightness across basically twice as much screen area will alleviate your concern about it being too bright. Using a spandex screen with a white layer over a black layer would improve the contrast level of the Benq while also allowing a wall-to-wall screen with speakers behind it. A non-AT screen will require space for speakers to either side of the screen and space above or below for the center channel. So room dimensions and seating distance all come into play.

BTW, I don't know where you were thinking of buying the 40ES, but unless it is on a great sale, it is usually more than $1500 higher than the Benq. And there is no reason to buy the HT1075 over the W1070. The W1070 is $650 compared to $2500 for the 40ES unless it is on sale. Lower prices may not be authorized dealers with USA warranty.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Im almost on the same boat at you!... But Im still deciding if getting the HC1200 instead of the HT1075. BenQ claims is true sRGB; and have better contrast/better blacks! on this HC1200. I wish someone who has both can make a comparison. Projector review site has some comparison but does not convinced me yet. And the more I read about benQ the more confusing; they have another model; the SH915 which claims to have High contrast!!..

So; why so many similar PJs from same company creates lots of confusion. If you see; the HT1075, the SH915, the HC1200 and the MH740; all have the same enclosure and use the same bulb lamp!... The only changes are that one has more lumens than the other; but the other has higher contrast; but the oooother claims to have true sRGB with Colorific?!! DAAAAAMN!!!...

After reading all this now I dont know which BenQ to buy; I have to decide now between HC1200 or the SH915.... But for the price of the SH915 you can get the LG PF1500!!! A new LED PJ which claims great reviews by customers; it has lower lumens; but has frame interpolation; and no need to replace bulb (but for me I dont care about bulbs; I will use the PJ aroud 15-20 hours weekly tops!); als its a smart TV, tuner, etc; Frame interpolation is something tempting for me. I like Soap Opera Effects; may peoples dont.

There are no videos at all on utube from SH915 or HC1200..... nor a comparison of any of those between the new claimed "winner" LG PF1500 !!.... The only flaw about LG it has high input lag; (about 70ms).... Not good for gamers!....

·
Registered
15 Posts

You're like the rest of us. You want a projector that does everything well for a very low price. Unfortunately, at the entry level price point, you have to make some compromises. I just bought and temporarily installed the HT1075 and am projecting onto a plain white wall. It's impressive. Granted, I'm looking at 135" and have a pretty good sound system. The holy grail of projectors is black level and it's going to take more money to get significantly better levels than the W1070/HC1075.

My first reaction is that a 100" screen is not going to "impress" anyone sitting more than 8' away from it. The general rule is to take your seating distance, cut in in half, and use that as the HEIGHT of your image. If your content is mostly 16:9 HDTV, gaming, etc. then use the height of the 16:9 screen. If you intend to watch mostly movies, then use the 2.39:1 image height even if you are going to use a 16:9 screen.

A larger screen, like 150" diagonal 16:9 is 11' wide and 6' tall and spreading the Benq's brightness across basically twice as much screen area will alleviate your concern about it being too bright. Using a spandex screen with a white layer over a black layer would improve the contrast level of the Benq while also allowing a wall-to-wall screen with speakers behind it. A non-AT screen will require space for speakers to either side of the screen and space above or below for the center channel. So room dimensions and seating distance all come into play.

I agree with this part of what dreamer has said. Go with a bigger screen if you can fit it in the room.

So; why so many similar PJs from same company creates lots of confusion. If you see; the HT1075, the SH915, the HC1200 and the MH740; all have the same enclosure and use the same bulb lamp!... The only changes are that one has more lumens than the other; but the other has higher contrast; but the oooother claims to have true sRGB with Colorific?!! DAAAAAMN!!!...

After reading all this now I dont know which BenQ to buy; I have to decide now between HC1200 or the SH915.... But for the price of the SH915 you can get the LG PF1500!!! A new LED PJ which claims great reviews by customers; it has lower lumens; but that frame interpolation; no need to replace bulb (but for me I dont care about bulbs; I will use the PJ aroud 15-20 hours weekly tops!); smart TV, tuner, etc......

I didn't find it too difficult to sort thru the BenQ models. Each model has its intended purpose. Some are designed for home theater and some for business presentations. Yes, there is overlap so you can use each projector for more than one thing, but PRIMARILY they are aimed at different users. Check out noise levels, lamp life, and other specifications to see how they all compare across the board.

If the perfect projector exists, one with no compromises, it won't be talked about in this forum...

Good luck with your decision.

Steven

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Details would definitely be helpful. Size of room, seating distances, speaker type and size, 5.1, 7,1, 7.2, 7.4, etc.

BTW, I don't know where you were thinking of buying the 40ES, but unless it is on a great sale, it is usually more than $1500 higher than the Benq. And there is no reason to buy the HT1075 over the W1070. The W1070 is $650 compared to $2500 for the 40ES unless it is on sale. Lower prices may not be authorized dealers with USA warranty.
The wall my screen will be on is 122" across, so 100" screen is about as big as I can go and still have space for the speakers. It is 36' long, and expands to a little over 11'6" wide at the seating position. It will be a 7.1 setup.

I only need to impress myself, and 100" screen is plenty impressive to me. The Sony is $1799 on Amazon right now, with the BenQ being about 785; thus the $1000 price difference I used.

The room has no windows so it is completely light controlled. I don't therefor need a really bright projector, I just need a good one.

·
Registered
463 Posts
get a screen that goes form end to end filling up your wall - use an acoustically transparent screen so you can hide the speakers behind the screen. Wall to wall image will surely look awesome!

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
The wall my screen will be on is 122" across, so 100" screen is about as big as I can go and still have space for the speakers. It is 36' long, and expands to a little over 11'6" wide at the seating position. It will be a 7.1 setup.

I only need to impress myself, and 100" screen is plenty impressive to me. The Sony is $1799 on Amazon right now, with the BenQ being about 785; thus the $1000 price difference I used.

The room has no windows so it is completely light controlled. I don't therefor need a really bright projector, I just need a good one.
I misunderstood. When you said: "But damnit I want this theater to impress." I thought others' opinions mattered. If you have 36' depth, the you can afford to lose a foot or so to place the speakers behind the screen and use almost the full 122" width. That means a 135" screen is possible if you go AT. Depending on where it widens out to 11'+, you could go even wider to the full 150" I suggested. If you have more than one row of seating (or people viewing it from other parts of the room for special events), a larger screen means the relative size of the image from one row to the next is less different, so that is another reason to go with the largest screen that will fit. Remember, NOBODY ever regretted going too big if they had the brightness for it. The same is not true for going too small.

You wouldn't be buying the Sony from "Amazon", you would be buying from "Dalton's Deals" and I somehow doubt that they are an authorized Sony dealer. I would check with Sony if your warranty will be honored before buying. Authorized dealers have it on sale again for $1999. I had a $2500 Sony TV 12 years ago that Sony weaseled out of the warranty on, so I'll never buy Sony again. But you're a "fan" so must have had better luck with their customer service and warranty handling than I did.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You're like the rest of us. You want a projector that does everything well for a very low price. Unfortunately, at the entry level price point, you have to make some compromises. I just bought and temporarily installed the HT1075 and am projecting onto a plain white wall. It's impressive. Granted, I'm looking at 135" and have a pretty good sound system. The holy grail of projectors is black level and it's going to take more money to get significantly better levels than the W1070/HC1075.

I agree with this part of what dreamer has said. Go with a bigger screen if you can fit it in the room.

I didn't find it too difficult to sort thru the BenQ models. Each model has its intended purpose. Some are designed for home theater and some for business presentations. Yes, there is overlap so you can use each projector for more than one thing, but PRIMARILY they are aimed at different users. Check out noise levels, lamp life, and other specifications to see how they all compare across the board.

If the perfect projector exists, one with no compromises, it won't be talked about in this forum...

Good luck with your decision.

Steven
How can I ched the noise levels of different projectors? it is explicit on the data sheets? I've never seen that on the product info.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I misunderstood. When you said: "But damnit I want this theater to impress." I thought others' opinions mattered. If you have 36' depth, the you can afford to lose a foot or so to place the speakers behind the screen and use almost the full 122" width. That means a 135" screen is possible if you go AT. Depending on where it widens out to 11'+, you could go even wider to the full 150" I suggested. If you have more than one row of seating (or people viewing it from other parts of the room for special events), a larger screen means the relative size of the image from one row to the next is less different, so that is another reason to go with the largest screen that will fit. Remember, NOBODY ever regretted going too big if they had the brightness for it. The same is not true for going too small.

You wouldn't be buying the Sony from "Amazon", you would be buying from "Dalton's Deals" and I somehow doubt that they are an authorized Sony dealer. I would check with Sony if your warranty will be honored before buying. Authorized dealers have it on sale again for $1999. I had a $2500 Sony TV 12 years ago that Sony weaseled out of the warranty on, so I'll never buy Sony again. But you're a "fan" so must have had better luck with their customer service and warranty handling than I did.
I cannot afford a 150" acoustically transparent screen, and I like to see the speakers for asthetic reasons. 100" Silver Screens, $199. 150" acoustically transparent screen from elite screens, nearly $1000.

I think I've been sufficiently convinced my plan is the right one for me. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I cannot afford a 150" acoustically transparent screen, and I like to see the speakers for asthetic reasons. 100" Silver Screens, $199. 150" acoustically transparent screen from elite screens, nearly $1000.

I think I've been sufficiently convinced my plan is the right one for me. Thanks for the replies.
If you have any DIY skills or friends who have them, a 150" AT screen is less than $100.

Wanting the speakers visible makes it moot, though.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

Your plan is one of a beginner who's never had a theater and doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Your screen plan is tiny. You can do acoustically trasnparent for WAY less than $1000. I bought my 176" Elite 1080P 2 acoustically transparent for $550 on Amazon a year ago. You can make one for less.

people are right - 100" is really small unless you are going to sit really close.

And buy the Sony - you won't regret it. It's a big leap up in image quality. You dont' start getting into smaller differences until you get into the pj's which cost multiple thousands.

I have owned the Benq - it's highly overrated by people who can't afford better or haven't tried better. If it is your only choice fine - but if you can swing $1799 go for the Sony - authorized dealer or not. The odds of it breaking are very slim and if it does you can save up and buy a Benq lol.

Or buy a used JVC - those are great values.

·
Registered
4,081 Posts
I'm open to looking at DIY options. My father-in-law is very handy. Me, not so much. Do you have any good guides you could link me?
Here you go. A 150" screen literally requires only another yard of each color spandex.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...6181-110-diy-spandex-screen.html#post22535385

Look closely at the quality of the projected image in photos people have posted in that thread. Every bit as sharp and AT as commercial AT screens. It does not have as much gain as commercial screen fabric, but you are talking about two bright projectors.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Your plan is one of a beginner who's never had a theater and doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Your screen plan is tiny. You can do acoustically trasnparent for WAY less than $1000. I bought my 176" Elite 1080P 2 acoustically transparent for $550 on Amazon a year ago. You can make one for less.

people are right - 100" is really small unless you are going to sit really close.

And buy the Sony - you won't regret it. It's a big leap up in image quality. You dont' start getting into smaller differences until you get into the pj's which cost multiple thousands.

I have owned the Benq - it's highly overrated by people who can't afford better or haven't tried better. If it is your only choice fine - but if you can swing $1799 go for the Sony - authorized dealer or not. The odds of it breaking are very slim and if it does you can save up and buy a Benq lol.

Or buy a used JVC - those are great values.
Damnit this was exactly the response I had hoped I wouldn't get. You're an enabler sir!

Well screw it. Go big or go home. I'll get the sony and a bigger screen after all. Ugh I owe my wife so many back rubs....

·
Registered
1,395 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you go for the Sony, be sure to buy from a vendor with a good return policy. The VPL-HW40ES units on the market right now were produced with terrible quality control. I'll post my findings in that projector's main thread some time soonish.

If you live in a country like the US where Sony can deny warranty coverage, I suggest buying from an authorized dealer. A credit card that offers price protection coverage can make up for the higher initial price.

·
Registered
20,979 Posts
If you go for the Sony, be sure to buy from a vendor with a good return policy. The VPL-HW40ES units on the market right now were produced with terrible quality control. I'll post my findings in that projector's main thread some time soonish.

If you live in a country like the US where Sony can deny warranty coverage, I suggest buying from an authorized dealer. A credit card that offers price protection coverage can make up for the higher initial price.
AV Science is an authorized Sony dealer - just FYI ! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.