AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm probably going to be building a new house soon - a 1 story house with 2077 square feet, and a 2077 square foot walkout basement. My goal is to create a playroom, half bathroom, workout room, storage space, open/common area for a future bar/kitchenette/gameroom, and of course a theater room. The theater room will have the back wall missing, so it is exposed to the open area, and to the playroom. This is so that the movies/TV in the theater room can be viewed from the common area and the playroom, if need be.

My theater room in my current house is way too small - 10.5' x 15'. So I looked around, did some research, and decided on 20' x 25'. I plan to have a 12' wide 2.35:1 screen, and 2 rows of a set of 4 berklines. I'll have my equipment in the 11' x 4' equipment room. I'm not sure if it will be exposed to the room, completely hidden back there, or a combination of both (hidden, but with a hinged panel to open it up and see it).

What I'm mainly looking for critique on is the theater size and dimensions, with respect to my screen size, amount of seats, seating distance, etc. Also looking for a general critique on the basement as well. My current basement is only 900 square feet, and 2 rooms, so it didn't take a lot of planning. This is a whole new level for me. I will be most likely doing all the work myself, as I did with my current basement, save for mudding/taping and carpet laying.

My budget is about $15,000 - $20,000 to finish the basement, which does not include any of the HT equipment, or the weight room equipment (I'll be bringing most of that from my current house, and buying the rest down the road.) I did my current basement for about $6,000, so I think this is very doable.

Thanks.

See the below image:

P.S. Ignore the fact that some of the dimensions are off (example: equipment room says it is 11' x 4', but then the outer wall says it is 10'-6" instead of 11'. This is due to my lack of Visio skills, and the inability to get everything to line up.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think it looks good. You might consider putting in a double door at the back to isolate the theater from the other areas. It would allow you to keep it dark in the theater, and do some sound containment. Can't think of anything else right off the bat though.

Craigo

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigo87 /forum/post/0

I think it looks good. You might consider putting in a double door at the back to isolate the theater from the other areas. It would allow you to keep it dark in the theater, and do some sound containment. Can't think of anything else right off the bat though.

Craigo

I had thought about that, but I really want it to have an open feel. I want virtually no back wall, and then some columns at the entranceway (see the updated pic in the original post for the columns).

I'm not really concerned about soundproofing or anything like that. As far as keeping it dark, I can just turn off the lights in the common area.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by llh /forum/post/0

The layout looks great the only thing can think of is many on this forum said the room dimensions should not be divisible by each other for acoustic purposes.

Can you clarify what you mean? Do you mean the room shouldn't be like 12' by 24', because 12 is divisible by 24 twice?

Let me know.

·
Registered
119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koach /forum/post/0

Can you clarify what you mean? Do you mean the room shouldn't be like 12' by 24', because 12 is divisible by 24 twice?

Let me know.

I'm no expert and I'm only repeating what I've read elsewhere on this forum, but until someone who actually knows something chimes in....

I think that there is a school of thought that says that you don't want to have then dimensions divisible by the same number. NOt sure though.

My plans are very similar to your koach. I have support posts in exactly the same spot, theater facing the same dimension, and a space for pool, ping pong, etc behind the theater. My theater dimensions are going to end up being closer to 17x25, but otherwise, the whole layout is very close.

I'll be subscribed and watching.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolsandkings /forum/post/0

I'm no expert and I'm only repeating what I've read elsewhere on this forum, but until someone who actually knows something chimes in....

I think that there is a school of thought that says that you don't want to have then dimensions divisible by the same number. NOt sure though.

My plans are very similar to your koach. I have support posts in exactly the same spot, theater facing the same dimension, and a space for pool, ping pong, etc behind the theater. My theater dimensions are going to end up being closer to 17x25, but otherwise, the whole layout is very close.

I'll be subscribed and watching.

Ok, so what you're saying is that you think my dimensions would be bad, because both dimensions are divisible by 5? So I should maybe make the room 19 x 25 or 20 x 27? That's certainly doable, I hope someone can confirm this. Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), we won't even begin building for a month or two, then the building process will take 6 months. We plan to start finishing the basement as soon as we move in.

As far as support posts, the builder claims I will actually have none. They said they use all steel beams, and no support posts. They're supposed to take me through a house with a basement this week so I cans ee for myself. The round columns I put in there for aesthetic purposes only.

Also, I'd love to see your plans if you have them available and want to display them.

·
Registered
781 Posts
I think the main issue is that there are 2 shapes that are horrible for standing waves - Squares and rectangles (twice as long as it is wide).

From my understanding (i'm no expert) - standing waves are a horrible acoustic problem that can make bass sound entirely too weak in some parts of the room while over-exagerated in others. I understand it to be like a pond - if you throw a stone into a pond you see the ripples. Well standing waves would be if those ripples weren't moving but standing still. Square and rectangular rooms apparently encourage standing waves.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Terry has a simple excel based room calculator on his website tmlaboratories.com (spelling?).

You want to avoid multiples (and squares) in all dimensons e.g. 32 x 16 x 8 is bad. Don't forget the ceiling height.

My work won't let me see your link, so I can't comment on your layout. Is there a reason why you aren't putting a shower stall in the bath in the basement. If its not too expensive it might be nice for your exercise space, if you house any guests down there, or for resale. Just a thought.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Why walls on the playroom, doors for that matter? Get rid of that wall and put doors on the theater.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/0

Terry has a simple excel based room calculator on his website tmlaboratories.com (spelling?).

You want to avoid multiples (and squares) in all dimensons e.g. 32 x 16 x 8 is bad. Don't forget the ceiling height.

My work won't let me see your link, so I can't comment on your layout. Is there a reason why you aren't putting a shower stall in the bath in the basement. If its not too expensive it might be nice for your exercise space, if you house any guests down there, or for resale. Just a thought.

Thanks for the link. According to his calculator, my room dimensions are great. FYI I have a 9' ceiling, but may do a tray ceiling, which would bring it down to 8' on the out edges. I used 9' for the calculations though.

As far as a shower down there, I had thought about it, but wasn't sure I'd really need it. There won't be any living quarters down there, and I would use my normal shower after a workout. I probably will at least look into how much extra it would cost me, and do it if it is reasonable. Since the bathroom is right next to the storage, I can make the storage space smaller and the bathroom longer.

I'm attaching the image here to the post, in case your work lets you view it that way.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelmann /forum/post/0

Why walls on the playroom, doors for that matter? Get rid of that wall and put doors on the theater.

My son is young, and we will probably have other kids. We need something to contain them to that space. I thought about leaving it open, and just having a really long baby gate to keep them in there, but I thought that the impressiveness of the basement would be lost if you could see a room full of toys from the common area and theater room. I'd like to be able to close off the doors so it looks more elegant.

I don't want doors on the theater, because I want to be able to view the movies from the common area and the playroom. Yes, I know I can have the doors open to accomplish this, but again, visually it will look more impressive to have nice columns at the entranceway as opposed to 2 open doors.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by koach /forum/post/0

As far as a shower down there, I had thought about it, but wasn't sure I'd really need it. There won't be any living quarters down there, and I would use my normal shower after a workout. I probably will at least look into how much extra it would cost me, and do it if it is reasonable. Since the bathroom is right next to the storage, I can make the storage space smaller and the bathroom longer.

I would highly recommend adding it if it is reasonable. Even if you don't use it much, it will come in handy and will do wonders for your resale.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by grigsby /forum/post/0

what about pocket doors instead of columns? No doors visible when they are open......

I really like the look of decorative columns, something like this:

I'll have similar ones elsewhere in the house, so they'll tie in nicely.

·
Premium Member
4,606 Posts
Thanks, was able see it as an attachment. Looks pretty great. I envy the size you have to work with. I have the ~900 sqft basement to work with, so maybe next house. Accordingly my HT will be used as a spare sleeping space w/air mattresses once in a while (my wife has a huge family).

Given any thought to an accoustically transparent screen?

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_pilgrim /forum/post/0

Thanks, was able see it as an attachment. Looks pretty great. I envy the size you have to work with. I have the ~900 sqft basement to work with, so maybe next house. Accordingly my HT will be used as a spare sleeping space w/air mattresses once in a while (my wife has a huge family).

Given any thought to an accoustically transparent screen?

I'm pretty much set on the SmX screen.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.