AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all plasma TV owners.

You all know the image retention problem caused by static images. I, myself found out that my upper left corner of my precious plasma has developed an image retention problem, although I had performed a 200-hour break-in program using a special break-in DVD.

What from?

Stu channel logos! As my plasma TV is used for at least 6 hours a day as ...TV! and all my country's channels have logos on the upper left corner of their video image, it was more than obvious that at some point my TV would develop image retention issues.

The solution:

Unfortunately, it does not exist for now (as far as I know)! The best solution would be that all channels stop putting logos, but that is almost impossible.

Then I remembered my old days with my Amiga home computer. The Amiga was a very successful computer amongst people working on video editing. It could take a specific video signal and add to it subtitles, using an overlay signal superimposed on the original. So, I thought why don't we use the same method to superimpose a specific picture on the channel logos, thus covering-cloaking them in real time?

Unfortunately, I am not in the video editing business so, I have no knowledge how to create such a thing. Therefore, I invite all people who have interest-knowledge to start developing this idea.

The way I thought it, was a PC equipped with a TV card and running Virtual Dub. If Virtual Dub could add a real time overlay filter with the specific cover-logo image then the PC could transmit to the plasma TV logo-less video! The overlay filter should change every 5 or 10 minutes, so that a different color cover-logo image would be transmitted like in burn-in DVDs (or else you would have the same image retention problems).

So, if you find my idea interesting start spreading it all over and if you are software developers please develop it!

Even better if you have a better idea please discuss it in this thread, or if you know an existing solution please enlighten us!

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
many channels here in the US use transparent logos so the potential for IR or burn is greatly reduced.

I've yet to see one make IR happen on our panny plasma

·
AVS Forum Special Member
11,139 Posts
Recall Googling this topic years back (~'00--'05) and posting a link to a logo-masking device on AVS. It may have been in Europe, though. As mentioned, it doesn't seem beyond basic computer graphics--although blending the graphics, say, copying pixels near the offending logo and superimposing them in real time would require some fast processing for HD. -- John

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My plasma is a Panasonic TH-42PZZ80E. In Greece the channel logos are big and intense and they never change place (always on the upper left corner). I do not need anything extreme that would require fast processing, just a colored box superimposed on the channel logo. And off course this box should change color every 5 or 10 min. I prefer to have that color-changing box than a steady logo that causes image retention.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts