AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to a local retailer tonight and saw the Panny6(42 inch consumer model don't remember model) next to a Sony XE42MR1. The price on the Panny was 5k while the sony was 12! The Sony looked so much better than the Panny, granted both were running the same feed from composite inputs off a DVD player, but the Sony looked much brighter than the Panny. Whites were truer. The colors on the Sony also looked fuller, where as the Panny almost looked like it was interlaced or something comparatively speaking. OK, sure the Sony costs more than 2X the Panny, but is the image quality REALLY that much better or was it the setup? I've heard nothing but RAVE and praise for the Panny here (That's why I had just ordered one) but please tell Sony's PQ isn't THAT much better. Granted I couldn't afford the Sony anyway, but I'd still feel better knowing my Panny puts up a better fight whan what I saw. Anyone seen these 2 units side by side please offer your 2 pesos..... Thanks

PS I checked the settings on the Panny's menu and brightness was at 0 as were the other settings as well so it didn't look, at least on the surface, like they had done something to kill the Panny's PQ.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Composite inputs?

I can't vouch for composite input quality, because they all look terrible to me with SD programming, but for HD or DVD with a progressive player, the Panny picture is outstanding.

Once you get a plasma and see how HD looks, you will go to ridiculous lengths to avoid any SD programming at all. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Trust me once you get it home, it really won't make a difference. Just configure it with good cables, play around with the adjustments and it will be fine. I believe the only reason, why most people talk about Panny is because #1 cheaper than other plasma's #2 Picture quailty is pretty good #3 good connections. Sure there are better plasma's, but who wants to spend another 2-5k more for something that might look 10% better.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hi

Sounds like you were viewing a Panny ED vs a Sony HD...with poor connections or feed to boot. I don't think the new HD6uy (consumer version) have it the street yet.

I recently saw a nice looking display with the new Panny 42" ED (consumer) holding its own nicely against 2 50" HD plamas and a 43" HD set.

Check out some other stores.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
You really cannot properly compare the two in that environment. They need to be calibrated and setup correctly and you should view them with a better quality signal source. Some of the Panny's display modes look terrible with their factory default settings. Also, be sure to stand back at a distance comparable to your home viewing distance to minimize the pixel structure/screen door visibility.

-Steve

·
Registered
143 Posts
my ED 6uy look pretty good with dvd and HD. SD is, for most of the time, acceptable. I can easily imagine some PDPs with better PQ than 6uy. I just can't imagine myself forking over another 2~9K to get it. For what I spent, the panny is very good.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Panny plasma displays are outstanding. I would not be all that surprised to find that the dealer configured the set up on the more costly display so that it looked better than the other. Dollars is dollars and they are going to make much more on that 12K Sony than they are on the 5K Panny. In reality you might even expect that the dealer is going to present the more costly display in the best light possible as that is quite a price spread. Not to say that all dealers do things like that or even the majority of them. It may not be the case here either. That said I don't think that what you report seeing jives with what most folks have experienced. We have a number of contributors at this site that have been evaluating plasma displays for a very long time as well.

Although the tone of this email may come off as a little critical, I am not sure that I have a problem with the dealer trying to present the Sony in such a manner as to highlight its best features if that is what is happening. Again, that is quite a price spread and the dealer may feel like he has to find a way to justify it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, it was the ED Panny that I saw. Altough all of your input does set me at ease I'd still be interested to know, if for nothing more than curiosity sake at this point, How good the Sony HD plasmas are and are they really that much better, if any, than the Pannys. I don't have HD content here in ITaly so ED is all I need and a dern fine DVI DVD player!

·
Registered
476 Posts
MrItaly

Search the Web for "42XBR900" to find info on the Sony set.

AVGuide.com has a review, but it costs $3.00 if you're not a subscriber.

I've read the same review in a magazine a few months ago. It acknowledged some problems with non-HD material, but it quickly went on to praise HD images.

Here's another review:
http://www.*******************.com/p...00-review.html

I would treat reviews as informed opinions. Especially, ones in magazines which tend to be very diplomatic.

Mike

·
Registered
711 Posts
I know that the Sonys get hammered here pretty often, but I must say that, every time that I am in the local Ultimate Electronics store, the Sony 50XBR that they have on display there looks wonderful. And the styling with their clear floor stand really provides one of the most striking visuals of any plasmas out there. It is on a constant HD loop, and I haven't seen it with any SD material. That obviously may make a difference. But the HD loop really looks very good.

·
Registered
15,369 Posts
I've demoed the Sony XBR plasmas several times with my DVDs.

They look great on bright scenes. Very sharp and brilliant. I find they look particularly sharp with HD signals too. Their Achilles heel is poor black levels, which are one of those things that do not show up easily in typical store environments. The bright lights tend to wash out differences between black levels and they mostly play bright scenes on the plasmas.

Viewed in a dimmer light environment, typical of someone's house after sunset, the Sony black levels rear their ugly head, making dark objects and scenes that take place in low light lack contrast, and appear flat and washed out. I find the black levels so bad it creates a patchy, soloraized look to many images in a dim-light environment. As well, the Sony plasmas display more scaling noise in the picture than the better plasmas. Further, the image retention on the Sony's is just crazy. If there is a frozen image on the screen for any length of time, say a DVD menu, and you turn off the DVD player the image of the menu stays there as a ghosted image for a frighteningly long time. I've never seen ghosting near as bad on any other plasma display.

That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by R Harkness
I find the black levels so bad it creates a patchy, soloraized look to many images in a dim-light environment. As well, the Sony plasmas display more scaling noise in the picture than the better plasmas.
FWIW I noticed this same solarization on an HD feed in Harvey near Union Square (who are generally very good at setting up displays) on a 50"xbr900. Disappointing to say the least. I do love the style though and the 30" xbr900 LCD is tempting (can't go much larger for the bedroom).

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went back to the local B&M and inspected their setup a little more closely. Both the Sony and the Panny did have the same source - a Sony prog DVD player, but that's where the simularities stopped. Some wire tracing led me to discover the bastages were feeding the 12K Sony panel the component out feeds. The Panny, hung directly below the Sony, was only getting a lowly composite out. Thus the mystery is solved and I don't feel so bad anymore. Now I can't wait to get my Panny setup with some nice component feeds, or better yet, DVI!!! Thanks for all the posts!;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
Rich H,

Can you tell me what settings you used to take photos of your plasma, and any other tips? I think I read a while back that you used a Canon S45 (I've got the S30). Thanks.

·
Registered
15,369 Posts
brick33308,

Sorry I don't have time to dig up the thread at the moment, but if you do a search for a thread with "screenshots" in the title, you should find my original post with the links to my screen shot gallery, and answers to people's questions regarding how they were taken (at least I'm pretty sure I answered in that thread).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.