AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older system used mostly with video.The pre/pro is a kenwood kc-x1 and the amp is a 6 channel km-x1.I am in a new home that has a very open floor plan with a room size of around 20 x 35 with 24ft tall vaulted ceilings.I loved the way this system sounded at our other home with a smaller room but since we moved it just has a very flat sound with no punch.The speakers are boston thx center and surrounds,energy la and r front with two passive boston subs.

My question is I think i need more power for the subs and an upgrade to the pre/pro.Should i upgrade the amp also?I am confused as to the importance of the amplification.It would seem an amp is an amp and the sound quality would be determined by the processing.Am i wrong?I am fortunate that budgets are not really a concern.I just want my sound back.Please help.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
You might want to consider a processor or receiver as pre/pro with room EQ. That is a very large space with high ceilings and your SQ should benefit. Amping seems adequate but personally I would prefer greater power.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
You certainly could.

Overall I think the flatness or lack of involving dynamics you report is simply sound being stretched too thin in that space. Large open areas require more of everything to get equivalent sound compared to a smaller, less open space. Also getting dedicated power to the subs should help the load elsewhere.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help clarkebar.I am lookng at perhaps upgrading the subs to powered units wich may help.I have allways vavored the seperats but i visited a magnolia the other day and he was showing me some intigated receivers that had more power and he said that these new units would ou perform my setup.Now i know i need to upgrade the pre-pro but should i look at these new recievers or stay on track with starting with a new proseser and working out the power for the subs?Also any equipment you would llike to steer me towards.Thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
What units was he showing you?

You have two approaches.

One, using some of your existing equipment, will likely be less expensive but may not yield the results you seek. If you add in the 2 channel amp for the Passive Subs you will improve a critical area of HT as well as Music if so configured. But your other 5 channels may still not deliver what you are looking for with current amping/processing. Again, that is a very large space when ceiling height is factored in.

You might do well to check out processor/amp combos currently available for your budget when established. A 7 channel amp of 200W range per channel would do very nicely and also allow for your passives to be kept in the mix if you are satisfied with their performance thus far in other regards. Outlaw and Emotiva are two sources which deliver quality and outstanding price/performance ratios. Since you are partial to separates this would likely be the wisest choice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.