AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI, could not decide which forum to post this in since it is an entire setup. If I should post elsewhere, please kindly let me know and I will post there.

Based mostly on reviews and not on my personal tests, I intend to purchase:

4 SongTower QWT's for surround

1 SongCenter for center channel

2 HSU ULS-15 Subwoofers

1 Onkyo SR606 receiver*

1 Panasonic DMP BD30 BlueRay player

1 Pioneer KURO 5020FD

*I realize the Onkyo is the weakest part of this system, I bought it six months ago and never opened it.

However, I can use it as a preamp/switching unit with 3 older VSP Gold edition amps I have. These produce 200 watts of good quality sound into 8 ohms or 400 watts into 4 ohms. Because I have these, I don't want to spend another thousand or more on power and I don't think I can beat the sound I will get from my current amps for less. Feel free to point out other options. Also, I am unwilling to exceed the $10,000 for total system cost, so any improvements must keep me under that number. So, does this seem like a well balanced system?

·
Registered
1,691 Posts
I haven't heard them, but all the information I have read about the SongTowers has been extremely positive. I think they look very nice, too.

You won't be able to use the amps with the 606 because the 606 does not have pre-outs. The 70x is the lowest model in the recent Onkyo product lines that have pre-outs.

-Max

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxcooper /forum/post/15583105

You won't be able to use the amps with the 606 because the 606 does not have pre-outs. The 70x is the lowest model in the recent Onkyo product lines that have pre-outs.

-Max

Sigh, I guess I'm in the market for a good preamp/switching unit then.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlight /forum/post/15579509

HI, could not decide which forum to post this in since it is an entire setup. If I should post elsewhere, please kindly let me know and I will post there.

Based mostly on reviews and not on my personal tests, I intend to purchase:

4 SongTower QWT's for surround

1 SongCenter for center channel

2 HSU ULS-15 Subwoofers

1 Onkyo SR606 receiver*

1 Panasonic DMP BD30 BlueRay player

1 Pioneer KURO 5020FD

*I realize the Onkyo is the weakest part of this system, I bought it six months ago and never opened it.

However, I can use it as a preamp/switching unit with 3 older VSP Gold edition amps I have. These produce 200 watts of good quality sound into 8 ohms or 400 watts into 4 ohms. Because I have these, I don't want to spend another thousand or more on power and I don't think I can beat the sound I will get from my current amps for less. Feel free to point out other options. Also, I am unwilling to exceed the $10,000 for total system cost, so any improvements must keep me under that number. So, does this seem like a well balanced system?

That's going to be a really nice system. Are you aware that the Onkyo specs indicate a rating of only eight and six ohm, not four? New spkrs are four ohm.

I don't understand the preamp/switching thing that you are talking about. Can you explain how this will be hooked up. (the 606 Onkyo and the sep. amps)

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
You could purchase a new processor and use the three amps, (I'm assuming they are two channel). It would be a little cumbersome, extra a-c and interconnects but not to big of a problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Since I have amps that can run into 4 ohms I was going to use the Onkyo to switch the audio and video signals and as a preamp to the amps I have. However, if the Onkyo doesn't have pre outs, this will not be possible. I would be surprised if a receiver like the Onkyo would refuse to drive a 4 ohm load, but I can guess the sound quality might not be as good as the rest of the system deserves and I would be foolish to try to use the Onkyo as the only audio electronics in my system. If the Onkyo is as I have been informed here, that is why I will end up needing an audio preamp with HDMI switching capabilities to replace it.

·
Registered
3,995 Posts
You could certainly dump the Onkyo on Ebay and recover almost all of what you have into it. The Songtowers are a great speaker, but not very efficient. You may want to take a look at a nice offering from Ascend Audio. Much more efficient and would work with the Onkyo. Excellent low distortion drivers used. See Link

http://ascendacoustics.com/pages/pro...m/cmt340m.html

Since you'll be using multiple subs, plugging the ports on the mains will allow for even more power handling and a more detailed midrange. The Songtowers are a transmission line design and as such the added Bass extension would be wasted on a 80hz xover frequency as in most Home Theater settings. The THX standard is sealed mains crossed at 80hz.

As for the Bluray, look at the 55 over the 30. Worth the few extra dollars.

The Ascends are a bit cheaper than the Salks, which may allow for more subs (3 usually gives the smoothest in room response). The wireless feature of the HSUs will allow for optimal room placement so +1 on the choice. The savings on the Ascends may also allow for your Processor/Amp option. The Outlaw 997 is coming and uses the Realta Chip which is excellent. Use the Onkyo for now and dump it on the forums classified or ebay when the 997 arrives. Since you're going 5.1, the extra channels on the Onkyo could be used to Biamp the left and right mains which you may find is more than enough. I would test everything with the 606 first.

Excellent choice on the Display

·
Registered
3,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundlight /forum/post/15583763

Since I have amps that can run into 4 ohms I was going to use the Onkyo to switch the audio and video signals and as a preamp to the amps I have. However, if the Onkyo doesn't have pre outs, this will not be possible. I would be surprised if a receiver like the Onkyo would refuse to drive a 4 ohm load, but I can guess the sound quality might not be as good as the rest of the system deserves and I would be foolish to try to use the Onkyo as the only audio electronics in my system. If the Onkyo is as I have been informed here, that is why I will end up needing an audio preamp with HDMI switching capabilities to replace it.

You have the amps that are rated for four ohms, so sell the 606 (or if you have the $$ use it in another room). You only need to do one thing..............Purchase a processor

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
If you intend to use the Onkyo with four ohm spkrs, it's going to need plenty of ventilation and I wouldn't turn it up to loud.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts